• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rotating safety light

Lindsaym151

Hey all , I have a 24 volt safety light that has worn out plastic gears . Does anyone know where to get replacement parts?
I called Federal Signal and didn,t get very far with them.
Can the be worked on or is it a gonner?:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post up the data plate info.

Alot of time you can find parts on fleabay

eagle4g63

Post up a pic of the gears(light) might help....you might be able to find another one that is damaged and take out the gears you need.....I know the original military lights are pricey if you can find them....I've been looking for another one myself and don't want to pay the money some are asking.

Post up a wanted ad also, might get you a better shot of getting what parts you need.

PS.....they are never gonners!!! some one will want it for the parts that are still good.

Lindsaym151

Ok the model # is Federal Signal corp MS51317-03.
It is the gear that mates up with the worm gear that comes out of the motor.
It looks like some thing jammed up and striped the gear.
I will post pics in the Am.
THXS
Lindsay

eagle4g63

Yes the model 14 is the closest one to the actual military light, however it is still a 12 volt light......the thing that I am not 100% sure about is if the "newer" model 14 has the same gear reduction system under the main plate....the military ones have a series of gears, most of the 12 volt lights do not...

The reason I say "newer" model is that the model 14 changed, and to make it worse I have heard that they discontinued the model all together now.

If you can't find the gear you are after you can use 12 volt beacons, one of 2 ways......add a 12 volt system on the truck (like I did) so you can run ANYTHING 12 volt you want, or you can run a pair of them instead of one and wire them in series...still hooked up to 24 volt. I am running the model 100 lights on my truck, same housing as the military lights however uses halogen bulb and is cheaper.....I also have more of them, just have to put up an ad in the for sale area(I don't want to sell them in a thread, so don't ask)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sort of like having a little 275HP 4-banger in your new car vs a real 225HP V8.

;-)

DieselBob

ducer

You will probably have to buy the whole rotator assembly. Years ago when I serviced the light bars for a local P.D. I could not get anyone to sell me just gears. Things may have changed by now but I doubt it with as cheap as they make things nowadays they are designed to just be thrown away. try Galls for replacement parts they can usualy get what you need.

Denny

Woodsplinter

DB- I'm with you, I just like the old school rotating beacons. Must be an "age" thing (for me).
Ducer- I think your right about parts availability. "dcaptain would be a good place to start for used parts.