• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run-flat tires for armored car

ParaShootist

As I've considered acquiring a wheeled AFV, it struck me that RF tires would be a pretty cool thing. I've learned that Ferrets were originally equipped with RF tires and inserts. However, a number I've looked at seem to have been refitted with newer ND tread non-RF tires (in one case the inserts were not put back in :confused:). Are there many/any real options for RFs for these old armored cars other than OLD original rubber or NOS? I figure original-type Dunlop RFs are long out of production - my limited webfu didn't turn up any this side of the pond and nothing 'new.' In the case of the Ferret, the U.S. type ND tread certainly doesn't "look" very authentic. Looks are one thing, tires suitable for the vehicle are another.

I am just curious what the options are? Is it anything that the MV community has much of an opinion on - like impact to value?

B3.3T

The standard issue Dunlop tires on Ferrets serve as run-flats. In fact, a delated Dunlop- which I have experienced- makes the Ferret simply harder to steer and far from flat. These are tough military-grade tires. No real need for anything more.

ParaShootist

Where oh where have the Dunlops gone

The standard issue Dunlop tires on Ferrets serve as run-flats. In fact, a deflated Dunlop- which I have experienced- makes the Ferret simply harder to steer and far from flat. These are tough military-grade tires. No real need for anything more.
Roger that. Thank you B3 – I was hoping for your perspective. However, I guess I wasn’t all that clear in framing my query. I'm not wanting something else, but . . .

What if the original Dunlops are missing? (like, "Look at that silly Ferret wearing some other type of tires."):shock:

A bit of searching the web didn’t turn up any of those fine old military tires for sale, and I don’t just want to assume they’re reasonably available.

Are new (or at least decent condition) 9.00x16 Dunlop RFs reasonably available for sale?

If not, is there a reasonable, comparable, military-grade RF alternative?

Maybe the easy answer is to just NOT consider buying a Ferret that’s not wearing original Dunlop RFs.
That would rule out the last two otherwise nice condition Mk2/3s I've looked at.

M813 said I'd need to be patient.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks