• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

run ins with law enforcement

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had my deuce parked in a side lot of a closed down supermarket on 6th Ave. in Aurora, Colorado (due mostly to my friend's apartment complex having unsat parking). Turned out that particular day POTUS was flying in to the Denver metro area and to any familiar with the area 6th is the main thoroughfare leading to the main gate at Buckly AFB. While walking back to the truck from my friend's place I got to witness several police cruisers and a suburban pulled up next to it and peering in and about. They apparently thought it was copacetic and drove off before I could cross the street and say hi.
A suburban...you got blessed by the high and mighty!! Them's are the other SS (Secret Service) folks.
Now THATS a truck that'd FUN to drive!:driver:

Redleg75

My first interaction with the law was the s/n verification. My M38A1 started life in the Army at Fort Riley, was x-ferred to the Kansas Guard, then surplused out of Riley to a local volunteer fire department, where it spent many well-maintained years as a field-fire truck. That department eventually sold it at auction to a guy in KC, who titled it in Missouri even though he lived in Kansas. He used it as a parade vehicle. I bought hit when he and his wife had a living estate sale, as they were downsizing to a retirement community.

This process entailed me having to trailer the jeep once to the local office, where they couldn't handle it, then to the "special" office 50 miles away - where they tried, but told me I would have to wait for Trooper Tate. Who's father was ill. So, the next week, I trailered it down there again - and I'll give Trooper Tate this - he spent an hour in the July sun trying to find a number on the vehicle that would work - but couldn't. It had long since lost it's data plates, and the s/n plate had a stamped number on it. Not good enough for the KSHP, so I had to spend $700 to quiet the title, and get a state VIN.

I get through all of that mumbo-jumbo, get my court order, and call Trooper Tate to schedule the work. He remembers me and tells me he'll come to me and do it there. Nice guy. Flash forward - I get new data plates made, including the patent plate. I pull off the plate that had the hand-stamped number on it. On a whim, I turn it over... and there, hard to read but readable, is the original s/n. One of the previous owners, probably the Guard or VFD, had simply turned the plate over and stamped it. There's $700 I'll never see again.

I've got it registered as a historic vehicle, which means in Kansas I'm not supposed to use it for regular driving - but I can motor around "for pleasure." I'm also allowed to take the plate off for parades and shows (have to keep it with me) which I think is a fair compromise.

I did have fun driving on to Fort Leavenworth - with the dummy machinegun mounted. The rent-a-cop at the gate wanted to see the registration on the gun - I told him it wasn't registered on post - because it wasn't a gun. Which caused him some consternation. I invited him to clamber up and pop the feed tray cover and check for himself. He did, and wanted to assert it was too a gun because it was cockable. Heh. It has a block of steel with a weak spring on it - and the belt is held in with welded-in pins. I can't wait to go through there with the M20 75mm Recoiless mounted for the next militaria show...

I've been stopped once. By a cop who wanted to argue with me that my bumper markings were incorrect. I asked him if he really felt he was fully conversant with 1950s/early '60s bumper markings? And then showed him the picture of the prototype vehicle.

Other than that, they like to come over at parades and marvel at the reckless rifle.

jeremyfc1

never had one stop me ...bu i manage a deli and they love to creep by 5 or 6 times... ive had people clkmb up and look . one was bold enough to start it up... he was lucky i did not see him.. just dont understand why he thought it was ok to do so.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never been pulled over or tailed.

The state boys get a kick out of the deuce everytime they see it. Light flash or thumbs up.

The locals and county guys are in awe, 9 times out 10 they are pulling their cell phones out at the stop light/sign and taking pics.

Have had several drive by when I'm parked wherever and take pics, just give me a thumbs up and burn rubber out of there, before I can even get back to MY truck!

Heck, the military convoys that pass me give me a thumbs up and/or drool, and drive on!

All in all a very POSITIVE experience from any LE I have seen or met. Heck, they even leave me alone in my civvy trucks now!

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A new neighbor (two doors down) moved in a few days ago. He's NOT a LEO, but drives a 18-wheel Milk truck for intitutional deliveries.

Hadn't met him until Saturday while we were in the front yard with the Deuce. He saw we were outside and came running over and introduced himself - nice guy! He was well equipped with a whole script of the standard questions.
Where'd you get it?
Whatchya gonna do with it?
Did you drive one in the military?
Is it LEGAL?
Where's your license plates?
and many others, but the BEST one was...
Can you help me get one???
..... and the MV addiction becomes epidemic:jumpin::mrgreen::cookoo: (and I haven't even taken him for a ride or let him drive it yet - LOL)

I will soon be registering mine, I seem to have found the right insurance for what I need. Still need to get on down to Troop I for data plate verification.

In all seriousness, I don't know how the local cops will react, nor the Sheriff's Office deputies, who only recently got traffic duty responsibilities in Louisiana.

I am sure it will be interesting.

LongueCarabine

ZRacer

I hadn't even had my Deuce a week when I actually got HELP from a local sheriff's deputy.

I was on my way to get the emissions check (a REQUIREMENT if you live in Maricopa County, Arizona), even before I had gotten a state title or registration (still didn't even have a plate on it). I hadn't driven the Deuce but maybe a mile down the road from where I have to store it (since the HOA Gestapo won't let me park it in my neighborhood) when it just suddenly died in the intersection at the top of a hill. WTH?

I was pretty sure it might be out of fuel (the gauge was just on the "E" line). The crappy batteries couldn't crank the starter very well either, since they were kinda weak. So I called the wife to get me some fuel and also called AAA.

While waiting for AAA and the wife, I was standing there directing traffic around my Deuce, when a local Sheriff's Deputy pulls up in his Ford F250. He asks what's wrong and I tell him that it just quit on me. He gets out and does a look see. We check the fuel tank - he sees what he thinks is plenty of fuel (still not much if you ask me). We lift the hood, we take off the air cleaner cover, try cranking it over a few times (batteries are obviously dying). I tell him that I have already called AAA and the wife, and that I am thinking of walking back to my buddies place just about a mile down the hill to get my own Dodge Ram 2500 (it has tools in it).

He was either on his way back home or off to duty - not sure which. He loved the truck. He was a vet who had served in Iraq. Said he was working on a 4x4 project of his own with an old International Harvester (with a Chevy 350 motor). He was very pleasant and helped me try to troubleshoot what was wrong. He even gave me a ride to my buddies' place so that I could get my truck and tools. He never asked to see my license, or ID, or insurance or ANYTHING. Just a real stand-up guy trying to help a stranded motorist who happened to be driving a cool MV!

So from me, two thumbs up for Maricopa County Sheriff's deputies! :beer:

Darwin T

Just stay away from busy intersections! sorry just to funny had to do it!!!!!! they should be more careful where they park!!!!!!!!!!! tried to make the pict larger but it did not work will try to put it in my picts.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just stay away from busy intersections! sorry just to funny had to do it!!!!!! they should be more careful where they park!!!!!!!!!!! tried to make the pict larger but it did not work will try to put it in my picts.

:funny:
Now THAT is a GREAT pic :!:rofl

It's the kind you'd see on late night TV... maybe Letterman would like to air it for you :idea:

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am an LEO part time anymore, but its too funny some times. I can only echo what most of the members here say. I've had plenty offer to help drive and some want to borrow it for 'tactical use'. But my wife, that's another story. While out with the Dodge M-890, she had a local constable pull her over to question the license plate (historic) on it and what she was doing with it, what armory did she take it from? She told him to run the plate, he'd find it was her's and it was completely legal. He told her that it was Army Green, that she couldn't own it, and she said she could. That she could have it any color she wanted, and asked him what color his car was and did he choose it. She told him she helps me collect these trucks, and that he's welcome to come over and see some of about a dozen we had then. He didn't, but has seen her and I several times since. I just asked him why the FOP medalion on the plate hadn't clued him in some, and laughed. His Sgt. didn't think the story was that funny when he heard about it.:lol:

Flyingvan911

I keep a copy of the DLA letter in the glove box of my deuce. I figure a letter from the DOD should clear up any doubt about whether or not I can own it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks