• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

run ins with law enforcement

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just bought two M35A2's in the next town over. In WY all you need is a bill of sale to move overland. Gonna be intersting as it's a 50 mile trip to bring them home, one at a time. Wonder what the HP, Sherrif and city police will do? Should be fun, regardless.:grd:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had to jump through some hoops to get the "historic military vehicle" designation which means I dont have to run a visible plate...

The lady behind the counter really, REALLY didnt want to deal with me

She shooshed me out the door which left her with an hour of peace before she had to close the place up.

The woman called me everything but a liar, saying I had forged the paper.

Coupled with the fact she handed me the plate 5min after the place was closed I think was the proverbial icing.

I hope shes not working the next time I go in.
I don't think she was "working" when you were there the first time. We got a few lazy civil servants around here too.

rwbrown72

I have 7,000 pound plates on a 11,000 pound truck.Never had a problem yet.I had a LEO at a gas station ask me if I wanted to trade.I work a block from the police station.It sits on the road they all drive on.Im always worry every time a LEO is behind me,but they always go away.Must be the camo.[thumbzup]
Same here with the plates.... I keep taking vets, kids and members of the city council for rides. That keeps everyone happy. Attitude is everything.

63sierra10

Just bought two M35A2's in the next town over. In WY all you need is a bill of sale to move overland. Gonna be intersting as it's a 50 mile trip to bring them home, one at a time. Wonder what the HP, Sherrif and city police will do? Should be fun, regardless.:grd:
What part of Wy are you in? I am always willing to meet a fellow OD green disease sufferer. Maybe we can do some trails this summer.

Stan Leschert

I was parked in line up, waiting for a Santa Claus parade to begin. A red Serge Mountie, walked up alongside, reached up and tapped on my window. "Can I see your drivers licence and registration, Sir?" I replyed, "No problem... Do you want to see my DND 404s? (CF drivers permit) It's retired, just like the truck!"

He bust a gut laughing and we chatted for 20 min, until the cold rain soaked through the Red Serge jacket. Seems he love MVs too and has tons of time for Vets!

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in Cheyenne. These are my first "retired" MV's. Plan on spending time getting one running good enough for trails.. Just started a new job so might be next summer before I get to REALLY play. Will keep in touch. Glad to know there's more in this state that have the MV disease.[thumbzup]

emr

3 times in 15 years an officer followed me so I pulled over, it was all" hey nice truck, either i know some guys who have some or how do U get something like this. never asked for a document, but i am always prepared to be humble and polite, that is the best way to stay under the radar....

Bobert

The suburban police around here will pull you over for anything now. The will give you a ticket too no warnings. I think they are out of money. I need to get my plate light on...

mactiredearg

:ditto:

I've got a short commute to work right now (7 miles) and I cant remember a single day in the last two months where I havent seen at least 3 folks getting tickets from the sheriff dept. Before that I saw maybe a total of 3 pull overs on the same route in the previous 6 months.

*gotta install that plate light this weekend*

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am going to mount 2 machine guns (50 cal and 30 cal) on my M-2-4. I suspect I will have some chats with the local LEO from the Peoples Republic Of Maryland..

FrankUSMC

I have had a dewat machine gun on my jeep for over 20 years, never been stopped. I am getting ready to mount a 106 on the M38A1 jeep and the mule. I do not see any problems.
Just do not get stupid and point the weapon at some one or a vehicle. Several years ago here, we had some young guys, out having fun, pointing a toy gun at every car they passed. They made the front page, great photo, both guys on the ground with several police officers cuffing them. Just don't get stupid.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Yaivenov

Had my deuce parked in a side lot of a closed down supermarket on 6th Ave. in Aurora, Colorado (due mostly to my friend's apartment complex having unsat parking). Turned out that particular day POTUS was flying in to the Denver metro area and to any familiar with the area 6th is the main thoroughfare leading to the main gate at Buckly AFB. While walking back to the truck from my friend's place I got to witness several police cruisers and a suburban pulled up next to it and peering in and about. They apparently thought it was copacetic and drove off before I could cross the street and say hi.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I guess what I am about to tell qualifies for this thread. A few years back I had an M-151A2
with a M-416A1 trailer we used to keep all our camping gear in,so we could just hook and go when we got off work on Fri. Anyhow one of my buds was driving the jeep with the trailer behind it taking the stuff down to where we camped so he could set up the camp early.
On said 151 I had used a spring loaded license plate bracket from an older auto. I had it mounted under the left hand bumperette and on the road I would swing it down and I had a rod that kept it from springing back up. Well the rod was not in(Plate was tucked up under,not visible) and the
trailer masked the back of the truck so it didn't seem to be an issue . So a Kentucky State trooper
was coming the opposite way on a 4 lane Road and saw my bud ,dressed in camies driving my restored M-151A2 & trailer with three civy vehicles directly behind him at the light,and the officer did a high speed U-turn in the middle of this 4 lane Highway ,passed the three vehicles behind him and pulled him over. The officer proceeded to ask him why there were NO unit markings on the vehicle? My friend said it was My POV and that they were not required. The officer said that I could not own this vehicle as the Govt. did not sell them. My friend then produced the license
receipt and insurance card from the pouch I kept them in and handed them to the officer.
My friend said he got the maddest look on his face that he had ever seen and walked back to his cruiser. After about 20 minutes at his cruiser he came back,handed my bud the paper work and ask with a smile "SO WHERES THE LICENSE PLATE?" my friend said its under the bumperette.
The officer walked back and said "I DON'T SEE A PLATE!!!" my bud walks back and the plate was folded up,so he reaches down and swings it into place and puts the prop rod in its slot and say's
"there you go" well the officer comes UN GLUED ,and starts reading my bud the riot act about
him wanting one of these and not being able to buy one,cause the Govt didn't sell them etc.
Turns out this guy was in The Corp. and tried to get an M-151 and got the normal drill. All this ordeal was taking place on the side of the road with my buds AR-15 HBAR in the passenger side rifle rack,loaded. But the officer didn't even ask about the rifle,just my 151,he wrote my friend a Warning citation for"IMPROPER DISPLAY" on the plate ,took down my phone number and left.
About 2 weeks later the officer called me and asked "GOT THAT PLATE FIXED?" I answered that I had moved it up to a more visible point and he said "GOOD DEAL" now ....."WHERE CAN I BUY A JEEP LIKE YOURS?" the guy lives one county away and has an M-151A1 & M-151A2 now and waves and smiles whenever we pass. He was just miffed cause he too had "GREEN FEVER"
LOL>

popacom / BILL in Ky.rofl

Last edited:

Recht71

We don't get stopped can't figure out way they don't . Really only one time in Salem MO. we had the ACE OF Spade Gun Truck out of TN. with us.got surerounded by four police cars.Turned out they got a few phone calls about us and came to check us out.All had there pictures taken with the trucks and left

Attachments

lonegunman

I've driven all over the place in my deuce without a second look. Every fuel stop seems to result in someone asking where to buy one though.;-) I do take the time to wave at kids and old vets like seeing old trucks too.

Heck, I even passed emmissions testing with no problems. Most guys are suprised to find out how new my old deuce really is anyway. I have an A3.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks