• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Runaway diesel and turbo issues

WTF D00D

So recently my truck started to runaway at start up for about 3-5 seconds then stop. I also noticed oil coming from the exhaust pipe. I did a search on here and found that the seals in my turbo were gone and needed a new turbo, so I purchased one.

While taking the only one off, I went to pull the tube that goes to the air cleaner and fuel dumped out....I was like what the heck, is this a normal thing for a turbo with bad seals, I didn't even know fuel could get down there...thanks for any info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turbo Detroit

Does your truck have a cold weather assist in starting? If it isn't ether assist then it uses diesel fuel atomized through the injector in boost tube. The o rings can allow fuel to enter turbo causing the excess fuel.....had same issue removed cold start....drilled and tapped boost tube to npt thread and put plugs in tube and issue solved.....yours could be different tho..... but I didn't need cold start so eliminated the problem.

WTF D00D

Does your truck have a cold weather assist in starting? If it isn't ether assist then it uses diesel fuel atomized through the injector in boost tube. The o rings can allow fuel to enter turbo causing the excess fuel.....had same issue removed cold start....drilled and tapped boost tube to npt thread and put plugs in tube and issue solved.....yours could be different tho..... but I didn't need cold start so eliminated the problem.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't since it's a Miami guard truck...everything is off now except the four bolts holding the turbo in. Not sure what it's called but I see a fuel line going to a little coupling that is dripping down on the turbo, I've seen people talk about that part before, can't remember the name.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, sounds like the fuel nozzle going into the intake manifold. I have always said they should be removed. We have even had one member that the spark plug blew out of the intake and he had to "Jerry rig" a clamp with some rubber over the hole to make boost again.

The King Machine

Down to one bolt, but of course, one of the back ones broke off...why is it never easy
I think its par for the course, I'm right in the middle of a head gasket swap. I busted the same bolt on the turbo flange. I also busted 4 bolts up on the Air intake manifold, they were badly rusted.
I also broke a bolt under the radiator, also rusted badly.

So your doing well.........lol

gimpyrobb

Down to one bolt, but of course, one of the back ones broke off...why is it never easy
Better that it broke, than having it strip and you are unable to get the nut off. That was a fun one!

Once you get the turbo off, there will be room to get vise-grips on the remaining stud to remove. Might want to try to heat up the manifold first to aid in removal.

rustystud

I think its par for the course, I'm right in the middle of a head gasket swap. I busted the same bolt on the turbo flange. I also busted 4 bolts up on the Air intake manifold, they were badly rusted.
I also broke a bolt under the radiator, also rusted badly.

So your doing well.........lol
Start replacing all the external engine bolts (except the head bolts) with "stainless steel" bolts. I've been doing that for years now.

WTF D00D

I agree rusty. I did that on a 59 triumph I built, the Britt threads are absolutely absurd...

i have a tray tray of stainless nuts and bolts prolly worth 600 bucks as much as they cost...lol...and I plan on replacing the turbo flange bolts with the same...about to start wrestling this broke one. I did find yesterday (after I snapped one) if I took my air chisel and rapped them a few times before trying to take them out it helped a lot.

gimpyrobb

Got a welder? Weld a nut to it and let it cool fully. Then use a socket or a wrench to turn it. The heat from welding will usually break the rust and shrink the bolt a tad.

gimpyrobb

SHould, its been a while, memory is foggy. I'm pretty sure they are studs. I have a manifold up at my storage barn I can look at, but don't know when I'll be up there.

WTF D00D

Yeah the one I broke I can't really see the top, but the other back one looks like it is a hole tapped all the way through the manifold with the threaded rod in it..but I could be wrong, that's a rusty spot..lol

gimpyrobb

Try running a propane torch on it to get it really hot, then put wax on the top where the threads would go through. I have heard the wax gets in the threads and loosens things up.

WTF D00D

Can't get to it, the rear one sits under the manifold...I could hardly get to it with liquid wrench. I heated her up twice and nothing but tomorrow I'll heat it longer and try try again. I also tried rattling it a bit with a air chisel but no help. I did manage to complete the flames delete in between working on this pig...