• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running Hmmwv wheels question

One thing to pay attention to with the HMMVW rims is making sure the two halves are centered. Two of the four that I mounted on my 08 had a total of 1/4" runout on the inner piece while the outboard portions were all fine.
The early style 12 bolts need to be centered with at least three centering washers per wheel. The later 12 bolts are supposedly self centering if you line up the inner centering hole with the outer one.

If anyone can get these to run smoothly though, let me know how you did it.

1StumpJumper

I ended up going with some stock steel wheels until I can put some time into the 12 bolt rims. FYI, the tires still took between 12-16 oz of weight per wheel.

Varyag

patracy, Thanks for the info. I'll take my chances and run the 37s, but keep an eye on them and check the rims regularly for anything fishy going on! I have been looking into getting a remote tire pressure gauge setup to, but am having trouble finding a system that will work with the internal bead locks. Maybe I can grind down the PVC insert a little more to accommodate one of the sets that I have found.
Don't hang out around the wheel as you inflate especially if you are running 37 pressure. I wasn't in the shop but I heard it when it went off. The mechanics had the rim in cage with a remote air line, to their credit. When I ran in to see what had happened I saw that when the rim split it blew out the bars pretty nice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks