• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rust is the enemy!

HelluvaEngineer

By chance do you have a link for that web site?
I buy a lot of stuff from https://www.lmctruck.com/ Everyone sells the same Korean panels, I believe. You can also find them on Ebay. I bought a lot of weatherstripping off of Ebay as well. Classic Industries as well. Eckler's is good too. Oh, and https://www.motorcityk5.com/ - think that's a small shop and the customer service was really good in my case.

HelluvaEngineer

Oh, one thing about POR - it can "activate" and kick off the whole can. I heard others warn about it and didn't believe it but it happened to me. They sell it in a 6 pack of small cans I think for this reason. Anyway, to be safe treat it like rust converter and pour it into another container.

If this is incorrect someone please clarify because it is an inconvenience.

Keith_J

POR cures from exposure to humidity. It has a high surface tenacity and creeps behind the rust. Where it finds water, binds it and then cures.
If you get the smallest bit of water in the can, it will set fast. Fuel and oil won't touch it, UV degrades it fast so top coat once cured.

Keith_J

I bought empty quart cans to split a gallon and sealed with plastic under the lid. Hope it works!
Careful, water vapor can adsorb on the interior surfaces of empty cans. Baking the EMPTY cans at 250°F will remove this water. Most metals and metal oxides have strong water attraction. Even glass has this property. Splitting a gallon is good if done carefully. POR welds used cans shut.

Xylene is a good solvent for uncured POR. Use a q tip to clean the can groove.

1love

POR cures from exposure to humidity. It has a high surface tenacity and creeps behind the rust. Where it finds water, binds it and then cures.
If you get the smallest bit of water in the can, it will set fast. Fuel and oil won't touch it, UV degrades it fast so top coat once cured.

Do you recommend POR? Have you heard of RP-342 ?

ssdvc

I use Fluid Film. Spray down the underneath, inside the door and tailgate each fall. Don't get anything on the driveshaft or any other rotating parts. $10 for a 16oz spray can. Stuff creeps in the smallest nooks and crannies. Is it the best, I don't know. But the cost is reasonable, it's easy to apply and IMHO, it does a pretty good job. Rust never sleeps, so the battle is constant.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Rust Question: For several months now I have been regularly spraying a combination of ATF and Acetone in between two pieces of metal. Two square tubes that fit inside one of the other. Something similar to a trailer "hitch" and the "receiver" it fits in...

Problem is definitely is rust.

Any ideas?

nyoffroad

Rust Question: For several months now I have been regularly spraying a combination of ATF and Acetone in between two pieces of metal. Two square tubes that fit inside one of the other. Something similar to a trailer "hitch" and the "receiver" it fits in...

Any ideas?

ATF is about 10 weight oil (with anti corrosion additives) and the acetone is making it even thinner, I'd clean the tubes and remove any rust then grease the heck out of it.

joshuak

Any ideas?

I think an ATF/Acetone mixture is fantastic used as penetrating oil, much better than commercial off the shelf options, but not as a lubricant. Ymmv.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Any ideas?

......... for such a case, I would use "Fluid Film" that has already been mentioned in other cases....... It does have to be sprayed again from time to time..... anything that has very good creeping abilities does not have good adhesion

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter

unfortunately everything in German ....... but the best tips against rust.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
ATF is about 10 weight oil (with anti corrosion additives) and the acetone is making it even thinner, I'd clean the tubes and remove any rust then grease the heck out of it.
The ATF/Acetone mixture seems to have been slowly eating away (loosening) the rust as best I can tell. It is in between the outrigger tubes that are stuck inside the "slide tubes". It's is a big hunk of metal about 40 inches long and about 8" wide and maybe 10" tall.

Outrigger In Tube.jpg Outrigger Pulled & Painted.jpg

There are 4 on this particular truck. In about 6 months, I have managed to get two of them out. Very SLOWLY. I went out today with a hacksaw blade and cleaned out about a half a cup of rust out of the two that are still wedged in there. At some point in time I guess the blade will need to be replaced with something else (longer) but it is definitely improving.

My hope was that maybe somebody had something that would "melt" the rust but that isn't happening. :cool:

THANKS for the info!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks