• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S250 Recovery Today

machinist75

I was searching on the Dallas craigslist this past weekend not searching for anything in particular, just as long as it was OD or desert tan. And to my surprise there it was a S250 comm shelter. It had what I thought was a very good price. I didn't really need one but I just couldn't pass it up. Tried all weekend to get in touch with the seller with no luck. Tried this morning and finally they answered. Arranged for a pickup later that night. Did not want to wait until the weekend for fear of maybe one of my SS brothers might get there first. Got off work picked up wife and kids and we were off to Sherman Tx. I will have to post pictures later this week because it's 10:00 and past my bed time. But maybe just a brief discription, it's desert tan, still has a/c unit but drained of freon, floodlight front and back. Know I jus have to figure out what I'm going to do with it.:)

135gmc

The basic TM for your shelter would be TM 10-5411-205-13. There weren't many S250 shelters with an AC - if it's mounted next to the doorway, its probably a 6000 BTU AC. These were built by at least 3 different companies, and all to the Army's design, so there are very few differences between them. The ACs use Freon 22. If theu just pulled the freon from it when it was surplussed, then an AC serviceman can pump a vacuum on it to leak check, then recharge it. A recharge will take 2.3# of freon. Full load at 120 VAC is rated at 19 amps. The AC TM is TM 9-4120-403-14

135gmc

Is it a window sized AC, or is vertical? The 6000 BTU ACs are about 17" x 17" x 30" high. You wouldn't believe how much stuff they have crammed into the ACs - they are darn near impossible to work on without the manual. When the Army designed the ACs, they went wild with every bell and whistle that they could find. I bought a new AC a while ago, still in the crate. After 20 years, it needed a freon charge, and I took time to install better refrigerant access valves. It was never designed to be a quiet AC, and it isn't...... The fan is effective, but not quiet. See if you can get a NSN or any data from the nameplate and I should be able to track down a TM number. Also, does it have a power cable? If you need a power cable connector, let me know - I have some shelter connectors in my stash.

135gmc

I forgot to mention - the shelters don't fit a 3/4 ton trailer - they're a few inches too wide. Some folks have taken an M101 trailer and changed the axle then moved the wheel fenders out a bit. The 1 1/2 ton generator trailers seem to work the best--- low to the ground, flat, and fairly available.

135gmc

I checked, and the MIL standard that spec's all the air conditioners is MIL-A-52767. There is also a lot of info in MIL-HDBK-116 about Environmental Control Units (what we folks call air conditioners)

machinist75

It is a square shaped a/c unit. I'm going to try to get Pics tonight. I have a line on a m105 trl, but what about the larger 2 1/2 ton gen trl. It's a little overkill but I think it would look killer mounted on it with the four tires.

RangerBob

By the way, the distance between the wheel wells inside the M101A2 trailer bed is about 45". The comm shelter requires a bit over 48". I do not believe they will fit in the M101A3 either, and you can't trim that one down due to the larger tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks