• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sae 50w oil

wcolt45

After reading several posts here im going with 50w motor oil in the tranny and tcase in my deuce as recommended by the manf ,the problem seems to be finding it.Where and what brand is others buying?

emr

I think most use 80/90 , 50 seems to be for a colder climate than most, could be wrong, but thats my take, I know in the guard unit here there was no 50 wt in the barrels, and only used the 80/90/

Flyingvan911

NAPA has some SAE 50 but only two brands. Purple Power and some for racing. I'm not sure if there is any difference or not. I went with GL-5/MT-1 to start with and I may try SAE 50 later. There are many threads hotly debating which lube is best. Some make sound, information-based arguements and some go on personal experience or 3rd party info.

It seems like all 3 (GL-1, GL-5/MT-1, and SAE 50) will do the job. If you aren't sure, drain your old oil and try to get out the old gunk. Try a lube for a while and then drain it and check for new gunk. If I win the lottery I promise to set up a system testing all 3 in a very scientific test. Until then, Let the battle continue. Be sure whatever you use is yellow metal safe, MT-1.

Westech

CPL
The military only used 80/90 because they did not want to get it all mixed up.. we know how that works in the military. Spicer states to use a 30-50W in the TRANS not the t case.... you might want to double check that on the t case before you add 50W. M35 Tom I think is using 40W in his OD trans. Thats what I will be changing mine out to is 40W not 50.

JasonS

The military only used 80/90 because they did not want to get it all mixed up.. we know how that works in the military. Spicer states to use a 30-50W in the TRANS not the t case.... you might want to double check that on the t case before you add 50W. M35 Tom I think is using 40W in his OD trans. Thats what I will be changing mine out to is 40W not 50.

Any details on the 40wt like brand, source, etc appreciated.

AMGeneral

Well,I have been running Chevron HD 50wt drivetrain oil in my deuce and 5 ton transfer cases for several years now with no ill effects,and unless Papabear has changed it the Proud American #3 is running the same 50wt oil in both the trans and t-case as well.

I haven't noticed any metal on the magnetic plugs I installed or any brass in the oil itself in any of my trucks. I have noticed a temperature drop during similar load/distance driving with the 50wt vs the GL5/MT1 80w90 I use in the differentials and winch cases

Last edited:

Clay James

I got Valvoline SAE 50 at NAPA. I put that and some Lucas additive in the transmission and it shifts way easier now. No more not wanting to go into second gear.

wcolt45

I remember seeing a post where someone contacted the maker and they said 50w motor oil in both tranny and tcase,seems like the maker of the equiptment would know ,just wanted some input and brands of oil and sources.

Flyingvan911

I looked up the Spicer website and it said 50 weight in the tranny and transfer cars. GL-5 and 50 weight are almost the same but for a few details. I dumped the lube that it had from GL and put some GL-5 in. Later on I will probably dump that and try to do a better job cleaning the little bit of gunk out bottoms of the gearcases. It's not very much but it can't hurt to be cleaner. I will then put in 50 weight and see how that does. I also run about 20% Lucas Oil Stabilizer in the cases.

Flyingvan911

hmmmm i may try 50wt when i swap my fluid this time just for kicks....im running gl5 right now
Ditto. I guess my truck had GL-1 when I got it from GL. The GL-5 seems to make it shift a little easier but not by much. I might switch to SAE 50 this summer or fall.

Any opinions on which would be better- Valvoline 50 or the Purple Power Synthetic? Or, regular oil or synthetic in general for the tranny and trans?

wcolt45

From what i've been reading,40 or 50 wt is the way to go,not saying other oil wont be fine but sounds like it has some benifits over gl-5,im trying it. Here where i live valvolene can be ordered from napa for $4.49 qt. Im having trouble finding it ,there is a local oil supply wholesale store that has 5gal pails of "Beacon" brand sae 50wt for$31.50 .Anyone ever heard of it?

Last edited:

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SAE50 sounds more than acceptable, although M35-Tom does indeed say that SAE40 is okay [and he calls for it in his 0.69 OD package]. Here in Tucson I checked NAPA and Auto Zone...no go re SAE50..no, wait, NAPA had two quarts of Valvoline. Tried a lube supplier...same same. Still looking...hope springs eternal...

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
seems 50wt is harder to find, that is part of the reason i used 40wt. it is also desirable to use non-detergent, but that gets even harder to find. any where from 30wt to 50wt is fine. shifting in cold weather does usually get a lot easier, and the trans operating temp drops 10-20 °f

tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks