• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sae 50w oil

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think it's necessarily a sign of any issues. I think it just depends on the truck and your driving style. My Deuce shifts like a dream some days, and can be downright grumpy when going into fourth on other days. I frequently have to let the clutch out just a tad to line up gears to put it into first as well. I had a 1949 Dodge 1 ton years ago, and it was the same way. I wouldn't worry too much about it until you can't get it into gear at all.

treeguy

That reminds me, on my first tranny oil change a piece of metal came out. I'll have to take a picture of it. I don't know what it came from but it was a stamped 3/32" thick 1/2" wide straight break along one end opposite a curled hook. If viewed from the side it is the shape of a J. I don't think it affects any of my shifting it (tranny) just has its own personality.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I bought a deuce trans for $50 that I was SO proud of. Then the day I pulled it out to use it, a BIG chunk of gear teeth came out of the drain plug. I was pissed and pulled the top off to see how bad it was. That was the pretty-est looking trans I had ever seen! No chipped teeth anywhere. I was told it was probably from when it got re-built. Sometimes they don't get that final step in and clean the bottom out.

treeguy

Well that makes me feel better. I think I'll take the top off mine (after reading how) to see how she looks and to chase down the leaks - top cover and rear output shaft seal. Is it that easy, remove shifter and unbolt the top, one of the diagrams I have shows shifter arms that may be attached to the top.

WeBeJeepin

Ok, I hate to tell y'all but in Jackson MS at Waring Oil they are selling Mobil 50wt for $49.84/5 gal bucket. And they are selling Delo 400 15w40 for $50/5 gal bucket. That's only $2.49 per quart! And they have it all in stock! Woo Hoo!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you really want SAE 50, go to a wholesaler and buy it in bulk. I'm using 80/90 GL-1 in my transmission, Xfer case, and axles of my A2. When I picked it up from GL that was what was in it. Works fine and no issues with shifting in or out of 4th or any other gear.