• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

San Antonio, TX to Forrest, IL on 01JAN2014

I will be headed from San Antonio, TX to Forrest, IL on 01Jan2013 in my M915A1 w/M872A1 to recover my new 1971 M813A1 w/w. My 7 year old daughter will be my TC on this run. I plan on taking 2 days to get to IL, a day to load out (if needed) and at least two days for the return trip.

Here is the route I plan on taking: http://mapq.st/189H2hG

I will keep this updated as I continue my preparation and trip.

TexanOnTheMove

Good luck on your trip and stay safe! If you haven't done so already, install a CB radio in your truck. It will make the trip a lot easier with truckers to talk to along the way. And your daughter should get a kick out of it also!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need anything in the OK area, let me know.

Warthog

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having done the Austin-Phoenix trip twice now in an M915, I have a good idea of what you are in for. Not too bad, really, the 915 is a great truck. Ride is a bit rough on the passenger though, my buddy Charlie who went to Phoenix with me the first trip did NOT volunteer to go the second time! Your daughter will be a lot lighter though, but tell her to take extra cushions. :smile:

Safe travels, let us know how you are getting on.

Cheers

Good luck on your trip and stay safe! If you haven't done so already, install a CB radio in your truck. It will make the trip a lot easier with truckers to talk to along the way. And your daughter should get a kick out of it also!
Thanks, I am trying to find a local shop to install one now.

If you need anything in the OK area, let me know.

Warthog
I appreciate it.

Having done the Austin-Phoenix trip twice now in an M915, I have a good idea of what you are in for. Not too bad, really, the 915 is a great truck. Ride is a bit rough on the passenger though, my buddy Charlie who went to Phoenix with me the first trip did NOT volunteer to go the second time! Your daughter will be a lot lighter though, but tell her to take extra cushions. :smile:
I drove mine bobtail from Vegas to SA, and that was pretty rough, she does ride 100 times better with the M872 and should ride great with a load. Luckily my daughter is young so she will recover, lol.

On the trip back another member will meet me in Forrest, IL and we will put his M105 on the trailer with the M813. And he will drive another M813 back towing his M35A2. So we will have a convoy on the way back, which is nice.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mik.

Did you finally sell your Deuce? Looks like you are moving up to the big boy toys.

Hey Mik.

Did you finally sell your Deuce? Looks like you are moving up to the big boy toys.
Yes sir, I sold her last weekend. And part of that money went into getting this M813 that was a smoking deal. Figured I was tired of saving money on fuel by running WMO and would rather get 5-6mpg than 10. Lol. I do like the power steering though, that is a life saver.

Purchased a 5.5k generator to run a small heater in the M813 the other SSer is driving back. A little overkill, but I needed one to run my air compressor when I am working in the storage lot. I figure on putting gen. in the cargo bed, towards the rear so as to have no issues with the exhaust.

I have a set of slave cables, large and medium towbars w/feet, and a tow light set I made. And four 1/2in grade 70 chains with binders (WLL 11,300) to tie down the M813, and 8 grade 70 (9k WLL) aircraft tiedown chains with 8 binders (2,600 WLL). That should be good enough for cargo control.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That M872A1 deck is around 4.5 feet at the rear, and probably higher at the front when on the M915. Are you going to have to drop the cab and exhaust on the M813 to stay below max height? I thought of using my M971 to haul MVs, but figured it was too much trouble to remove hard tops and exhausts for short trips.

That M872A1 deck is around 4.5 feet at the rear, and probably higher at the front when on the M915. Are you going to have to drop the cab and exhaust on the M813 to stay below max height? I thought of using my M971 to haul MVs, but figured it was too much trouble to remove hard tops and exhausts for short trips.
The M872A1 Deck height is 55in. So 4' 7" and just slightly higher Tat the top. I am hoping to not go over 13ft, so we will se what I will have to dismantle. I will have to drop the stack and cargo cover and once I get some measurements will determine if I need to take apart cab as well. Having dropped the cab a few times on my other MVs, it is not that hard, the worst part of using an M871/872 to haul MVs is finding a loading dock at each end of the trip.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Peoria, Illinois area. PM if you want cellular number. Hope and pray that your trip goes smoothly. I traveled from Ft. Hood many times back to central Illinois. Shortest time? 16.5 hours Only reason we stopped? fuel. LOL

God bless,
Tony

Ridgerunner

airborne,

Short notice I know. But I sent you a PM on transporting some tires from Texas to Michigan with the SS Express... If it does work out, then great. If not, either way have a safe and enjoyable trip.

ps. if you can't bring the tires, at least bring some of the Texas warm weather with you :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks