• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sand, prime, paint..

mattg2448

Well, acouple days ago i decided to clean a bit of rust up, well, i decided **** it.. So i started sanding the whole truck.. Rapco, 383, 2 cases is on the way.. Gotta get it done for Homecoming! hahah

Attachments

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mattg2448 Are you going to repaint the whole truck....? I like the choice of color. BTW, I saw your in Michigan. Your out Port Huron way. I am Don, I live out Clarkston way, That makes you a troll like me.

mattg2448

mattg2448 Are you going to repaint the whole truck....? I like the choice of color. BTW, I saw your in Michigan. Your out Port Huron way. I am Don, I live out Clarkston way, That makes you a troll like me.
Don, yes i am, i had some rust on the bed rails and then a big hole on that cab corner, so instead of the paint not matching.. Just do the whole thing... Once i get the base coat on, seats, bows and tarp are getting on, and then CAMO! Me being somewhat of a perfectionist.. Its gonna take a long time to do it! haha I really dont know where to start, Im probably just going to wing it..

Clarkston eh? Maybe we will meet at a MV show sometime!

Last edited:

mattg2448

Oh yea, my dad suggested those crappy face mask, and all the horror stories i heard about this paint.. I wanted to be safe. Just got home from school, now time to pull the truck out, and get sanding.. Im working with MV's here! Homework can WAIT! rofl

AceHigh

Matt, looking great so far. I was talking to a local reserve guy and he told me they are getting all their trucks back in solid 383 green. No more tan or camo. I don't know if this is standard or not, should be fun to see what they do over the next several years. If the cover is camo, well then the rest of the truck prolly should be too. Keep the pics coming. [thumbzup]

mattg2448

Didnt get much today.. Got home, the DA worked for about 10 minutes and then the trigger locked in high speed! Forgot to put lube in it... So probably some rust.. Went to harbor freight and bought one for 28$.. Came home and got the Front bumper, cab top, top of hood.. About 2 days left then its ready for paint!

Attachments

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didnt get much today.. Got home, the DA worked for about 10 minutes and then the trigger locked in high speed! Forgot to put lube in it... So probably some rust.. Went to harbor freight and bought one for 28$.. Came home and got the Front bumper, cab top, top of hood.. About 2 days left then its ready for paint!

YOU GO BOI, Are you looking for a front grill guard...? I did not see one to paint.......? I think you will like 383 look. Tell us about your first experience with Bondo...?

Don

mattg2448

Don, I have a grill, i just took it off to get a better way to paint everything, its a tad bit easier that way.. I have to agree with you, i cant wait til i start painting!!!

The first time was pretty sketchy, Wasted alot.. First batch it was too much hardener, it got hard before i got it mixed all the way.. Then the third batch was the same way.. But the rest were good, about 3 coats, went on super easy. I shaped it with 60 grit, and then smoothed with 120 and 220. Came out pretty good.. Wasnt too hard either...

By the way, thanks everyone for the comments, suggestions, tips, and questions! Awesome support, on a project that scare alot of people off!

mattg2448

Well.. Not alot done today, blew the seals out of the harbor freight DA sander.. Had to drive and get a new one.. Just Misc. things done today, mostly hand touch ups.. Paint "should" be here tomorrow.. If all goes well, first coat tomorrow!

mattg2448

Yesterday my paint was finally shipped.. Ten days after i ordered it... So back to sanding.. Just going touch up stuff right now, tomorrow i will Tape important parts up, take a rag with thinner and wipe down the truck.. And friday, start shooting paint!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks