• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sandy killed my truck help

Salt water is havoc on electrical systems. I'm just learning the Deuce but a good test light should run down the problem fairly quick. I would have the batteries tested first and fully charged when you start. If salt water enters a cell in the battery then it will draw down the other cells very quick. Even "sealed" batteries have a vent that if submerged can allow dirty water to enter.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is where 6TL batteries shine. Good work on rescues. Also be aware that water at that level is near the air compressor inlet

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I wouldn't worry that much about the fording plug. I have had my inspection plate off for about 4 years and had no ill effect. Yes, I'm sure it might let some crap in there, but it also lets me spray brake cleaner in there to clean it out too.

M923driver

As for the brackish/salt water issues...wash the under side down asap. Use Dawn dish soap or a product called Salt Away which is available at marine stores. Dawn works pretty well, not as good, but better than nothing. After it dries out thouroghly, spray a coat of Ospho on everything. It will attack the surface rust that is forming right now as you read this. You should definiely replace all fluids and flush anything that is contaminated. Any electrical connections that were submerged need to be cleaned thoroughly as well. If possible, soak the connections in the Dawn/water solution. Salt corrosion can play **** with electical connections over time. It's best to get at this asap, time is not your friend. Wish I had better news. Good luck!

stumps

One thing to note is that your deuce is not a submarine.

Fording is an emergency technique that has major costs in maintenance afterwards. After fording water that is above the axles, you need to tear down every axle, replace the seals, wash out the roller bearings, and regrease. You need to tear down each brake wheel cylinder, clean it with clean brake fluid, wash the rubber boots, and bleed the system. You must remove the front axle boots, and wash out the old grease and replace with new. And, you must drain all of the differentials, transmission, and transfer case, and refill with new oil. The engine needs its starter motor washed and dried, and the engine's oil replaced.

I'm sure I have forgotten a few things. Basically, anything that was under water needs to be serviced.

All of this is detailed in the manuals.

-Chuck

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All good info, but also consider starter and alternator. Starter and solenoid full of salt water or residue will conduct current and run down batteries. Your alternator and starter will probably need rebuilding to clean out the salt and carbon tracks (from arcing while running). Even after the water runs out there will be salt left behind and any moisture makes it conductive. As said before, wash, wash, wash.

I worked offshore oil field for years and and salt water submersion was bad news. Even brackish water will eventually kill anything electrical unless cleaned. We washed with soap and water, then distilled water, then deionized water.

txmytx_catahoula

I'll ditto what they've been saying about electrical systems and salt or brackish water. After hurricane Ike, we found anything that went under with the battery still connected, had + connections corroded off in a matter of hours. Good luck and great to hear y'all made it through!!!!

saddamsnightmare

October 31st, 2012.

Sounds like batteries. 6TL or UTL's handle this better then civillian, but I would have greased the terminals and clamps before submerging. The breaker is on the firewall, usually between the air brake connection to the wipers and the indent behind the engine, they are thermal and they are designed to self reset.

Deuces are fair at fording, Unimogs are a little better tempered as they carry the vbatteries and all other systems higher up in teh frame and body. Good luck.:)

Last edited:

rickf

You are going to find that four hours under water is about 3 3/4 hours more than fording standards. In salt water at that. You will find that rust is going to form everywhere and very quickly. Anything electrical that was in contact with the salt water will need to be rebuilt or replaced, corrosion will wick up the wires under the insulation. You may get away with cleaning it for a short while but is is going to let you down. What you are going to find is that the price for this type of volunteering is very high, like it or not the salt is going to win.

Rick

ARYankee

Wow! Great job! Were you the one that had the CNN crew go with while you helped evacuate folks? I saw that on CNN last night and wondered if it was some one from SS.

Alexl2590

ok everyone it was just the batteries i started with the motor today did the oil and ani freeze and washed the truck down with soap and a power washer i am doing the transmission and axles tomorrow any one know the weight of the gear oil i should use off hand thank you all for you're help

TURKEY131

I'm in the same boat as Alex2590. I was working crazy hours and was unable to wash the truck off. I went out 2 days later and I hit the starter and nothing, no click no noise. So I finally pulled the starter and today I checked and I know that the starter works. Anyone have an idea on how to check the solenoid?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in the same boat as Alex2590. I was working crazy hours and was unable to wash the truck off. I went out 2 days later and I hit the starter and nothing, no click no noise. So I finally pulled the starter and today I checked and I know that the starter works. Anyone have an idea on how to check the solenoid?
This is how the starter motor and solenoid are wired. Should give you the info you need for testing and note that the solenoid is activated before the motor.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks