• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SARACEN APC info

Redlightning01

Is ther any problems with the SARACEN APC when used on the highway some one said somthing about wind up or somthing on the center axle and popping the pinion or ring gear trying to decide what to get I like the SARACEN APC size also like the Farret but concerned wit my size 5-10 at 240 lbs wonder if it will be an issue in the Farret ?

Stalwart

You really don't want a Saracen. I was 6'2" and 350 lb. and I could get into my wife's Ferret through the top hatch. At 230 it's EASY!

Wolf.Dose

Technically yes, if you install an air brake system to brake the trailer, however they are not made to pull a trailer. They are reconnesance vehicles and can stand long distant driving without overheating. But for these missions never with a trailer. A Jeep trailer is no problem, if your Ferret is equiped with a stock pintle hook. However, it must be a Dixon Bates hook! Else, forget it!
Wolf

B3.3T

Windup is a fact of life with a Saracen but probably the least of your worries. It will never go fast enough for the highway anyway. And the driveline complexities are far more extreme than most can imagine. Get a manual first. It will scare you away once and for all. Oh, then there's the power brakes and steering tied into the same system, all charged with three nitrogen cylinders....

B3.3T

Yes, as mentioned, a Ferret is a much better choice. I would not suggest a trailer on a Ferret however, unless it is carrying the spare transmission you will need in short order.

Stalwart

Dude, get a deuce and tow your trailer and be done with it. This old armor is not something you're gonna drive every day, old vehicles like these need a fair amount of attention. If it doesn't leak, it has no oil in it! The Brits., God love 'em over-thought the **** out of them, hard to work on and complex in their running gear. Read my sig. I have a few of them. 3.3 has had many too.

Alan?

Redlightning01

Does any one have any better choices for my first time machine need to be able to drive to local events & tow on my 20,000 lb GVW trailer so Tires are a must no tracks.

whyme

as i see/understand it APC's aren't meant for towing much. get a truck, M35, M813, or some variant. then if you want one for a fun toy, do it up.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looks like a lot of good advice here. I can add that you will be in the wrong country when it come to buying a Saracen part. Shipping parts is expensive. The tires are special 12.00x20 run flats, hard to find. At 12 tons it is about 2-1/2 times the M35 towed rating w/o the trailer. The M35 can do the task, depending on what your definition of 'local' is, but you would be at risk with legal issues, a worry especially the way common folks drive these days. The 5 ton might be over its 30,000 towed rating too, depending on the weight of the trailer. An empty equipment trailer might use up half the M35's towed load rating (typically10,000). Saracen might be fun if you get it cheap.

davidkroberts

In Iraq we were using a Saxon that was repowered with a 5.9 L cummins and Allison transmission. Very reliable vehicle but awful driving. You are driving on the right side and driving without much visability. You WILL hit something eventually. You probably wont know it honestly because its a big rubber tired tank but you will. I still think it was well over 20,000 lbs.

I would try a Fox Recon vehicle. Kinda like an updated Ferret. Better road speed more technology. There is a list member or two who has one on here

Stalwart

A Fox is only 14,000 lbs but they are 3x more expensive than a Ferret. Foxes were made in VERY limited numbers and I agree they are faster and much easier to drive than a Ferret. My wife owns both and equates it this way, Ferret = old Ford, Fox = Rolls Royce.

Redlightning01

Thanks for the input guys Im not getting a SARACEN but I might go with the Ferret for cost and I found one thinking of a Bobbed duce and trailer to haul it what you think ?

Stalwart

Regular Deuce yes, bobbed I'm not sure that is a good idea. Then again, I suppose with a lightweight trailer it would be OK.

Redlightning01

what Trailer would go well with the deuce no bobbed and look good By THe way IM very new and this Forum is great and every seems to like helping others witch is great

tankie88

A Ferret drinks a **** of a lot of gas(70 gall tank).Fox is a nasty bit of work in corners going fast(tends to roll over) That's why we(brits) didn't have them long in service.Cvrt are the dogs danglies(love em).But nothing tops a Stolly(drove them for 6 years while serving)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks