• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saveable ? What's it worth ?

nattieleather

I think you'de be better off keeping your money and passing on this one. Find one even if it's not running in better condition on rims and tires to start with. You're going to put just as much work into the project, but you'll have more usable parts. Fair to good M37s can be had from 500 and up that are much much better than that one.

That truck is like a bar pick up after to many drinks...it's tempting, but you'll hate yourself in the morning.

Michael

If I were serious about getting a M37, and this was close to me, I would go ahead and get them. I wouldn't fix them though, I would use them for parts. I think $500 is top dollar for them and not a bargain to just pick up in case I might build a M37 some day. One thing to consider is that M37s aren't deuces, but they aren't WWII jeeps either. Parts are getting harder to find for M37s, but there is still plenty of better examples out there to restore.

Did you get a year off the data plate? I couldn't read it. The holes by the door are for a B1 type swingout tire carrier. If it is a B1, basically rust free, that's amazing for it's location and storage.

I've got a couple up here for sale, off the ground on wheels, but I can't say they're rust free.

Yes, there really is a LWB M201 chassis under that pile of junk in the 3rd pic. THAT one IS basically rust free, but it's just the frame with cab and axles.

Attachments

Last edited:

Carter

I'll add my 2cents, again, if you got that one you are looking a lot of work, time and $$$$, but if its cheap enough and you want that truck go for it. I suppose it just depends on how badly you want an M37, any M37 and how much time you are willing to put into getting it driveable as well as how much cash can you throw at it. I started with a lot less and probably in much worse condition and spent a huge amount of money and time on it but ended up with exactly what I wanted, a good running Dodge that I can take to shows and be content it's not a pile of crap. That truck looks like it's not missing to much to be considered for rebuild/resto. it'll just need a LOT of TLC. and as I said earlier, $$$$$.

I started with this: Found pictures from military photos on webshots

and ended up with this:
100_3400 pictures from military photos on webshots

1953 Dodge M37, 3/4 ton 4X4 Cargo Truck pictures from military photos on webshots

cyberspace_7

I started with this...and ended up with this
Carter, looks good! That's the great part of this hobby. We can be mesmerized by a barely noticeable piece of metal poking out of the weeds with a dash of OD green still clinging to the rusted metal and only see the show winner it WILL be. Gives you warm feelings deep down inside that you just can't explain...*fart*...oh wait, I feel better now!:-D Almost got to emotional there...:doh:

MilitaryRestoration

i'd take it as a challenge and low ball the guy and if he takes or wants a bit more then still go for it... Yes you may end up spending more money on restoring this one rather than buying another one in better or restored shape, but you dont have the gratitude of doing the work yourself and when all is done the great feeling you get when someone stops, looks at it, and says wow thats a nice truck, or man I wish i could have that... I'm always second guessing myself when we buy the project vehicles trailers, however like my last trailer m149 as seen here... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/40054-after-year-finally-got-some-time.html ...I was half tempted just to scrap it out or gut it and leave it but then decided to take a chance, dump double the money that I paid for it in whole, into it and now dont have one regret! I got so many compliments over last weekend from it that I've even decided to start my next trailer soon that was on the for sure scrap list.... It's a hobby and hobbies cost money, sometimes more than really worth. But it's better than going out and buying drugs etc that you just burn up anyway, at least with od fever you still have something. I too bought a m37 in just a little bit better shape than the one you are looking at, ended up trading it for a m1 garand, more than doubling my money and all i did was pressure wash the m37 before trading it off lol... Anyway enough rambling, I'd say go for it! Take a chance, you only live once and hey it's only money ;-)

jeep-Jeep

go for it and your wife just might be the best helper you got .
I restored a 1951 m38 with my daughter when she was about 8 or 9 and she helped everyday for a couple of months and is prouder now of that jeep than anything we have

Carter

Thanks Frodo, Glad you enjoyed the album.
Unless you really want that truck and need another project to take up a large abount of your time and cash, something to think about would be is it worth it, even one with such a low price. Is there some reason that's the one for you?
I went to so much effort on my badly rusted and stripped junker because the USA # and unit markings were still visible, the hood with it's numbers was laying in the cargo bed and unit markings were not painter over to such an extent that they were not readable. The dash data plates were still attached including the serial no. plate and a Letterkenny rebuild one. Also the truck had been one issued to my NG unit and I had regularly driven it when I was a SSGT in Hq. and A Co, 1729th Maint Bn. 29 Div. before it was reassigned to our sister avation unit then turned in to property disposal, donated to a local fire dept. and stripped of parts to support their brush truck. Since I had driven it so much I felt it needed to be brought back to life.
Is that truck calling your name? Mine was :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks