• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scepter Fuel Nozzle Failure

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings folks. Has anyone else had any issues with the Scepter style offuel spout for the jerry cans?

I first noticed a reduced rate of discharge. No one wants to hold up a full can for any longer than necessary. In my experience, you can dump a can in a minute with a proper functioning spout. What I found was that the hose was lined with some type of flexible material. The material decomposed and was plugging up the screen. I'm glad I didn't defeat the screen like I've done with the metal spouts.

Second thing was the leaking. It leaks, it's always leaked no matter what I did. I found thatnthe crew top was cracked. For the most recent use, I went back to the GI metal spout and was greeted with a spill free 5 gallon dump in a minute.

So far I've transitioned from steel to plastic cans, went back to steel to avoid swelling then back to plastic. Transitioned from metal spouts to plastic, now back to metal.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm using plastic cans with metal spouts, I'm very happy with them.

My civilian cans have all be converted to the EZ-Pour spouts with vents added.

A quick dump sure saves the back, and is very satisfying.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also very happy with ez spout conversion with the large hose, small hose is only good for week eater and push mower.

Any luck on finding parts for metal extension for cans? Or a good source for a new replacment

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Don't get wreckerman started on how the EPA screwed up the common gas can. He has a story!

Stonepicker1

Greetings folks. Has anyone else had any issues with the Scepter style offuel spout for the jerry cans?

I first noticed a reduced rate of discharge. No one wants to hold up a full can for any longer than necessary. In my experience, you can dump a can in a minute with a proper functioning spout. What I found was that the hose was lined with some type of flexible material. The material decomposed and was plugging up the screen. I'm glad I didn't defeat the screen like I've done with the metal spouts.

Second thing was the leaking. It leaks, it's always leaked no matter what I did. I found thatnthe crew top was cracked. For the most recent use, I went back to the GI metal spout and was greeted with a spill free 5 gallon dump in a minute.

So far I've transitioned from steel to plastic cans, went back to steel to avoid swelling then back to plastic. Transitioned from metal spouts to plastic, now back to metal.
I have had three of those plastic spouts crack on me over the years. Last one was just last week. I thought I must of screwed the first one on wrong, causing it to crack. I was careful on the next ones, but they cracked also.
I'm using the metal spout now.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cracking happens when you just hand tighten and not that wrench they sell? No problems with mine yet.
Are the plastic spouts form China?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use plastic Scepter cans and USGI fat spouts almost exclusively at home. I've been using mostly the same setup since about 2008. Although I have added more cans and another fat spout thru the years. I get far less leaking than with metal spouts in plastic cans or metal spouts on metal cans. Never broken a spout at home or at work. I did switch to the low flow spout with clear tube for most of my gas needs, but I still use the fat spout when fueling the M38. So the fat spouts see mostly diesel these days. The only failures or leaks I see can probably be attributed to gasoline on incompatible gaskets and broken caps flanges.

I don't know what you guys are doing with your spouts to cause them to break... you might want to ease up on those donkey appendages... :p

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We need rubbers for our metal spouts. Does anyone have a source?
That's probably why my metal spouts suck so bad, I've never used one that didn't have dried out and cracked rubber. I'd like to find a source for new ones as well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
USGI metal appendages are splendid. I have a few and none leak in either can. A source for new expandible rubber bungs would be good also.

Has anyone experienced the lining in the discharge tube decaying? My cans and spouts have only seen diesel and had them all new.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and they say for water use only. That red sticker is there to meet EPA guidelines, as it does not ship with an EPA approved spout (and the one I use, as linked above, is not one of those god forsaken designs). It can be easily peeled off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks