• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SCH60 Heater Battery, know how to fab or get one?

FOURGONE

I bought a shc 60, no battery. Anyone have a schematic or info on how to build a battery? Thanks Maybe an old one I can reverse engineer?

Last edited:

FOURGONE

shc 60

I just bought the same heater. Could you send me the pin out of the connector? Thanks . Any schematic on this heater that you know about?

benniebrooks

http--www.liberatedmanuals.com-TM-10-4520-262-12-and-P.pdf Schematic Pg. 53 of 435-----Batt. Conn side (Battery#1 [Green Pin #1 White Pin #3]) (Battery#2 [Black Pin #2 Red Pin #4]) Check Polarity Batteries, both can be charged at same time with pack removed and positive to positive connect to Charger Pos. Terminal and Negatives Connected to Charger Neg. Terminal. Make sure you wire batteries in parallel for 12 VDC and NOT IN Series for 24 VDC Unless You have a 24 VDC Charger. When Fabricating your batt pak remember the originals have a temp SENSOR AND a HEATING PAD INSTALLED, not sure if that will effect function if removed, per following Quote from Manual,
The battery pack assembly consists of a 12-volt lead-acid gel cell battery
(3) with an electrical heating
element. The battery pack assembly location is clearly marked and is located in a recess
(4) below the
lower housing assembly. Two fuse holders
(5) carrying 20 amp fuses are incorporated into the side of the
battery pack. Two spare fuses
(6) are located at the breathable air inlet end of the heater.
The battery is used for burner ignition, and to power the control system until the thermoelectric generator
(TEG) generates power. The battery is recharged during heater operation by the TEG(Thermal Electric Generator). Depending on
battery condition and temperature, the battery has a approximate 30-minute recharge time.
If battery temperatures are below 40°F (4.4°C), it is electrically heated by the heating element. When the
battery reaches 60°F (15.6°C), the heating element is shut off by the controller. When battery heat is
called for, only excess power is used for heating the tent.
Considering Using 12VDC from TEG to Power LED String Lights.

benniebrooks

thanks rideoffroad could you take a look and see which leads go to the heating pad and which ones go to the temp. sensor. Small White leads and Small Brown leads. PLS identify if poss. if the pad has any info. or the temp. sensor pls provide then will figure out how and if necessary to Fool the Brain, Those Hawker Batteries are supposed to be long lived 12-15 yrs from DOB.

Poccur

The temp sensor has a resistance of around 4.8k at room temp...so I guess it is a 5k negative temperature coefficient thermistor (value drops when I put my finger on it for heat)...you could probably fool the system into running with a 5k or 4.7k ohm resistor on the brown wires for testing.....if that works then order a thermistor and drop it in...

zbuilder

I've been watching here and appreciate you guys helping out. I have a similar issue. I have everything but the battery. I wasn't sure of amp hours etc...I would alsobe interested in the possible source(s) for buying one.

Would anyone know an outside source for the case? Is the connector called a "molex"?

thanks.

jz

od1984

I too, am in the same delimna as many other members, I have (3) new SHC-35 units, and the batteries will not take a charge. I visited with the Hunter parts guy at length about these, but he didnt have any options other than purchase a new $950.00 battery,(OUCH!). Seems like there would be some surplus units out there somewhere. I have been studying the posts from the guys who have rebuilt there own, but I'm not so sure that would be something I would want to tackle myself. I tried to message the gentleman from Nebraska who fixed his, but never got a response. Any guidance on this would certainly be of help to me and many others I'm sure. Thanks !

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I have been bad about responses lately in part because of the 100+ things on my plate...... Yes, I built mine...... I have a post floating around here outlining it.......... Then again, you can save a lot of aggravation by simply adapting the connector and hooking up a pair of tractor batteries (they will work but not fit in the tray)......

od1984

Guess I will try the small tractor battery deal then, sounds like several people have made that work. I did try contacting one of the companies that rebuild power tool batteries, hoping maybe they could rebuild these, but they decided not to tackle them either. I must say the guy studied the situation fairly well, he was able to pull all the specs up online while we visited, but finally told me they would have to pass on it. I may try and contact a few other rebuilders, maybe someone will give it a shot. I'll let folks know if I come up with something. I appreciate all the help, Thanks !!

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its not that they are hard to rebuild (I can do several in one day)..... its the fact that most people don't want to foot the bill for doing so....... when you figure the cells tim292 mentioned above (which is cheap by the way for those cells), the potting material, and the time to tear a pack down and rebuild it, you are looking at ~$275 to do it right. Heck, I have had one guy outright tell me that my quote to him to rebuild the pack is obscene (right after he accused me of gouging on the repaired and tested control heads I was asking $150 each on)..........

The fact is that one just cannot make or rebuild one of these packs for 50 bucks--- hence the alternative to use the two tractor batts.......

Could someone cheat and use cheap Chinese cells with a similar specs-- maybe-- but even then, you wont gain much (maybe get the cost down to $125-150 overall for the materials)........ and then, like the saying goes "you get what you pay for"............

Z

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
btw, any surplus battery packs out there would all have the same type of cell in them-- hunter only spec'd this cell for the packs for all production runs to date........ they can take abuse but not like they see when being surplused out-- anyone buying a surplus pack should presume that they will all have the same cell problem-- even a nib battery if more than 3-4 years past production will most likely need a rebuild.........

Z

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks