• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scouts get New Deuces

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was wondering how the scout unit planned to use the trucks, then I see the plans are to haul gear. I hope anyone who uses the deuces knows that it is against BSA policy to allow scouts or scouters to ride in the open bed of any vehicle. Unfortunately, that means no riding on the troop seats in the bed, despite how cool that would be. That's a huge issue down here.
I FILL the bed of my deuce every year (including straw bales down the center) for the Christmas parade.

Other than that, I don't allow them back there for anything. At our local camp I use it as my tent (parked right next to the bathrooms). When we need the Scout trailer (converted, donated toy hauler) I often tow it to the site with the deuce, if it's less than 50-60 miles one way. I also let one scout ride up front to and from events, but only with a signed waiver that my local JAG officer helped me write up.

If you search hard enough you might find a write up where three boys rode back there for over 500 miles on a two day super trip (not BSA though).

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also use the deuce to teach the auto maint merit badge. The boys love it. They put on coveralls and we crawl all over and under it. Then we compare it to my 2008 GMC to see how things have changed and stayed the same.

Of course that's only after I go through about three hours of classroom material 1st.

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks pwrwagonfire, lilbob, 123mack, DUG and a few others. I was felling like I was being attacked for trying to promote Mother and Country to these young men. They get bombarded with antimilitary liberalism all day long. Standing on top of a all American deuce and taking a few turns with a wrench, then knocking over a few trees with it, might instill a little patriotism in them. At the very least one more deuce gets saved form the scrap pile. The soap box is now yours...