• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Securing your MTVR? anyone installing locks? ignition keys?

MTVR

The $20 locking fuel cap works.

Sloan part number 431006. Free shipping.

And unlike the other locking fuel cap part number floating around somewhere, this one is unvented, so you don't need to swap gas caps when fording water.

The ebay seller ("vinrei_30") told me he had more of them to sell, but I can't find a current ad to link here.20200429_125408.jpg

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The $20 locking fuel cap works.

Sloan part number 431006. Free shipping.

And unlike the other locking fuel cap part number floating around somewhere, this one is unvented, so you don't need to swap gas caps when fording water.

The ebay seller ("vinrei_30") told me he had more of them to sell, but I can't find a current ad to link here.View attachment 798262
Do yourself a favor and cover those little pot metal pieces with silicone. They will rust thru very fast. Typical on m939 trucks and they will turn blue in the inside due to the brass

The aluminum cap your truck came with is available with a lock. Available in brass or aluminum

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started a thread on fuel tank caps. I suggest you also cover the key way because water and junk can get in there. Mine got water in it, then froze, and then I could not get it off.

MTVR

Aluminum and brass = corrosion

Put brass and aluminum together in a saltwater environment and watch the magic work
I have more experience with electrolysis than I have with galvanic corrosion.

Will the tank be okay with this cap as long as I stay out of the ocean, or is this going to be a problem?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have more experience with electrolysis than I have with galvanic corrosion.

Will the tank be okay with this cap as long as I stay out of the ocean, or is this going to be a problem?
This fuel cap is 500 miles from the nearest ocean.

Attachments

MTVR

Okay, aluminum Velvac key-locking non-vented fuel cap, with key hole cover to keep rain water out. $21 including shipping.20200507_125644.jpg

...and fortunately, there was no corrosion from the brass Sloan key-locking non-vented fuel cap, which has now joined the "spare parts" pile, unless somebody else wants it...

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
What about your fuel drain on the bottom of the tank? I’ve always been scared to install locking caps because peckerheads around here will just drill a hole then I have to remove, fill it with water, weld it etc.

Is the cap to prevent crude tampering or fuel theft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put on a locking cap for both reasons. I know it is simple to defeat but the truck is kept right by my house so all I have to do is slow them down with a little bit of discouragement and they will go find an easier mark. Like my tractor- it does not have a locking gas cap. BUT there are three cameras watching it - all in plain view plus the tractor parking space is even closer to the house and VERY well lit. The place I park the 7 Ton has motion lights.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks