• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seems like this is turning into a build thread.

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exhaust donuts done on both sides. Driver's side was a breeze. The studs stayed put and the nuts came right off. Installed the new stainless springs and the zinc plated nuts on the original studs and moved on to the other side. Passenger side, I had one stud break free before the nut, which gave me the space I needed to slide the pipe out of the way, but I still had to cut the upper shackle bolt to get it out. Once that was done, I replaced the last suspension bushing I had left to do in the front end. The rubber was worn all the way through on the outboard side. Metal to metal. Went back together without much drama. No exhaust fumes in the cabin for the first time this year, and the front spring job is finally 100%.

Still got motor mounts, harmonic balancer, and front and rear main engine seals in my to-do box. New hood release cable is on the way, along with some other odds and ends.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exhaust donuts done on both sides. Driver's side was a breeze. The studs stayed put and the nuts came right off. Installed the new stainless springs and the zinc plated nuts on the original studs and moved on to the other side. Passenger side, I had one stud break free before the nut, which gave me the space I needed to slide the pipe out of the way, but I still had to cut the upper shackle bolt to get it out. Once that was done, I replaced the last suspension bushing I had left to do in the front end. The rubber was worn all the way through on the outboard side. Metal to metal. Went back together without much drama. No exhaust fumes in the cabin for the first time this year, and the front spring job is finally 100%.

Still got motor mounts, harmonic balancer, and front and rear main engine seals in my to-do box. New hood release cable is on the way, along with some other odds and ends.
Motor mounts are not bad but it's 2 of us doing them...me holding or installing stuff from up top and the kiddo under. He's really good at it. We found lifting just the drivers side of the engine with a cherry picker gets both sides up evenly to do both at the same time. Look out for the fuel lines as if they're weak, one can pop or crack. We've done 3 in the last couple of months, and 2 had fuel line issues after. So, in a way, it found weak lines, which is good. The balancer and front seal are not to bad but you'll need a puller and installer tool. I used a socket and glued the seal to it to install that. It is a big one...I'll look for that socket and give you a size it is.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I'll wait on the mounts 'til I get the picker. I was gonna get a cherry picker to install the rear bumper, since it weighs 149 LBS unloaded, so having more than one use for it out of the gate is a good thing. Don't suppose you know the fuel hose diameter off the top of your head? I haven't replaced any of the fuel hose on the bottom of the truck yet. Was noticing rubber line in a couple places while I was under there this morning. Old and crusty.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I'll wait on the mounts 'til I get the picker. I was gonna get a cherry picker to install the rear bumper, since it weighs 149 LBS unloaded, so having more than one use for it out of the gate is a good thing. Don't suppose you know the fuel hose diameter off the top of your head? I haven't replaced any of the fuel hose on the bottom of the truck yet. Was noticing rubber line in a couple places while I was under there this morning. Old and crusty.
Yeah I used 3/8 and 1/4 inch mostly. Used the fuel injection style clamps too. The new screw style clamps are so cheap now I don't trust them. Went out to the garage and found that socket I used to put in front seals. It's a axle nut socket for something but can't remember...go to many. I'd definitely want a cherry picker to do the mounts. I've seen people attempt to use a floor jack with a block of wood on the oil pan. They often wonder why their oil light is on after!

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wasn't even thinking about the seal driver. Good frame of reference. Thank you. Will figure something out when the time comes. Mostly, I was just nervous about potentially hurting the radiator core while I'm messing with the pulley puller.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wasn't even thinking about the seal driver. Good frame of reference. Thank you. Will figure something out when the time comes. Mostly, I was just nervous about potentially hurting the radiator core while I'm messing with the pulley puller.
I doubt you'll hit the rad with anything...it is really far from the crank snout...pop a double layer of card board in front of it, though, just in case. I'll hunt my puller installer out...I own mine but I think advance auto rents them or others. I think I used a steering wheel puller to get the last one off.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I doubt you'll hit the rad with anything...it is really far from the crank snout...pop a double layer of card board in front of it, though, just in case. I'll hunt my puller installer out...I own mine but I think advance auto rents them or others. I think I used a steering wheel puller to get the last one off.

@CARC686

You will have plenty of space - without barking your knuckles on the radiator - using a standard balancer puller. Even using a half inch ratchet... And room to tap the new one into place (after you replace the seal).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks