• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Selectable hubs and t case sync

moriboy

I bit the bullet last night and ordered a set of front lockouts. I have had nothing but good results from doing this mod on my 2008 Dodge pickup. I gained almost 2 mpg, and it drives much, much better.

Now with a pickup transfer case, you generally can't go from high to low, or low to high range without first stopping. I would assume most people would never have a need to do this. In my deuce however, I find myself many times running thru the gears in low range, switching T case to hi, and hitting 4th and 5th gear. Essentially it's like having a 7 speed.

My question is on a deuce, with the hubs unlocked, would you be able to switch the transfer case from low-high while moving (air shift disengaged)? I'm not so sure...

Anyone have knowledge on this?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hubs un-locked shouldn't effect the hi/low shift. I certainly wouldn't turn on the front axle while moving though!

OD_Coyote

My M35A2 has locking hubs on the front axle and I use the transfer case to split gears all the time. So far no issues in 6 years with my current truck or the previous truck.
I just dont engage the front axle while the truck is in motion unless my hubs are locked.

houdel

My M35A2 has locking hubs on the front axle and I use the transfer case to split gears all the time. So far no issues in 6 years with my current truck or the previous truck.
I just dont engage the front axle while the truck is in motion unless my hubs are locked.
Agreed, I split shift all the time in my Deuce with the front axle disengaged,not a problem.

houdel

Good practice for when you really NEED to split shift, i.e. hauling a heavy load, plus it's just a hoot to do!

spicergear

I believe 2nd low to 2nd high to 3rd, 4th, & 5th was the way I would pull out on steep hill or loaded. With 1st gear barely being able to be shifted out of without losing all wheel speed, the t-case split is a lot more effective and makes your truck sound like you have at least a 6 speed. :mrgreen: But seriously...it is another great tool when driving loaded.