• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Selling in the Forums

tm america

i think a classifieds button would be very usefull.when i think of resources i think of tms and linked sites.:roll:for the longest time i didnt know there was a classified section on here

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do we need a special link? Its in the Resources menu (which oddly, it was on the old site too) and its also a link off the Random Classified block.
I and others ,have asked for a Classifieds button in the main menu, for a long time. Obviously, It Aint Gonna Happen!

For those that say, they never knew there was a classified section, I guess you didn't READ THE RULES. You should have read the rules when you signed up(why would it mention a classified section rule, if there were no such section?).

Also, the rules are always subject to change, so a refresher read through of the rules might be a good idea. (Maybe we need the manual check box type input, on every single line of the rules, every month?).

I can tell you this, I don't recall anyone ever PMing me , asking or suggesting, if there is a classified section.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like I mentioned in an earlier post, you just don't see folks wandering around the restaurant for hours looking or peeing in the corner because they can't find the head. No harm in asking n a PM but I've not got too many either unless it was the person who I advised to use them. With that said, I fully agree that an OBVIOUS classified link would do wonders for the site, sellers, buyers and mods who are addressing the issue on a daily basis.

kentuckycucv

You guys have a classified???? I have been on thios site for over a year and have never found it. Maybe ypou can post a link to where it is. I thought it would be in the forum section clearly marked "Classifieds"... I guess I will have to search a litlle harder.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys have a classified???? I have been on thios site for over a year and have never found it. Maybe ypou can post a link to where it is. I thought it would be in the forum section clearly marked "Classifieds"... I guess I will have to search a litlle harder.

Check out the attached picture

Attachments

Snarky

I just read the "Forums Rules" ....again.... It does mention a classified section but it does not mention where it is. I think it would be very easy to miss the fact that there is a classified section in that document seeing as how the 'Forums Rules' page is a 3 page document with 2200 words. The 'Forum Rules' also contain all the privacy and copyright information in addition to the actual stuff like conduct and content they should be worried about.

Here's the rules on classified separated out:

SteelSoldiers.Com Website Rules and Regulations said:
• Do not post items for sale in the forums. That is what the classified ads section is for. Moderators may delete your For Sale postings without notice.

• The SteelSoldiers.Com classified ads are not designed for commercial use. Vendors who wish to advertise on the website should contact a moderator or admin for pricing information. Commercial ads will not be posted in the classified section.

Classified Ads: These free ads are for the benefit of our membership. They are subject to final approval by SS.com staff. Do not post commercial advertising. Commercial advertising is a pay-per-ad service. Please email the webmaster if you would like to post a commercial/vendor ad. Please keep all free classified ads military vehicle related.

I try to read most forum rules for sites that I participate in, SS is no exception, but there are literally hundreds of thousands of forum websites just like this one, I participate in 5 different ones, you can not expect every person here to memorize 2200 hundred words of: Conduct, Forum Etiquette,Vendor Participation, Linking, Private Messages (PM), Collusion, Auction Postings, SteelSoldiers.Com Acronym, Chat Room, Classified Ads, Technical Manual Library, Video Library, Copyright, Trademark, Liability, and Privacy guidelines.

When people need to sells something they may not of realized 3 months ago when they signed up that the word 'Classifieds' was listed 6 times in that 2200 word document they went through.

The list of subjects that the Rules and Regulations cover is a paragraph long by itself, maybe it's time to streamline a bit? Maybe you should list the 'Resources' tab in there too? "TMs and Classifieds are listed under resources". Better yet! Get rid of the Tab and place your essential services in their own link rather than buried in a tab, especially if the point of the 'Classifieds Section' is to reduce threads.

Just food for thought...

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do we need a special link? Its in the Resources menu (which oddly, it was on the old site too) and its also a link off the Random Classified block.
I feel we need a link on th main page because...

It would reduce for sale posting in the forums.

Resources tab does not bring to mind classifieds.

Reduce newer people from being corrected for posting in the forums. This is something that takes up moderators time, and seems to be happing constantly.

Dennis

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is also a "random classified ads" blurp on the right side of the home screen. So when clicking, it takes you to the classified section. Perhaps people are posting classifieds in the forums to get more exposure knowing that there are many members who don't surf the actual classifieds section. Or, there is some urgent need to get, or get rid of, something and you need to let the masses know. I can see all sides. But, I do not understand the heartache. It's a post and will disapear into the abyss within days. Whether someone bothers a fellow member in a PM, or posts in one of the forums and is advised at that time, does not have a huge affect on the server capacity. I post in the classified section, but personally don't have an issue with people doing it in the forums. I don't see the need either, but perhaps a nice compromise should be a clear Classifieds button at the top on the home page.

Snarky

But, I do not understand the heartache. It's a post and will disapear into the abyss within days. Whether someone bothers a fellow member in a PM, or posts in one of the forums and is advised at that time, does not have a huge affect on the server capacity. I post in the classified section, but personally don't have an issue with people doing it in the forums. I don't see the need either, but perhaps a nice compromise should be a clear Classifieds button at the top on the home page.
I don't understand the 'issue' really either, but I do know it is against the rules, and I guess that's all you need to take into account. If I had to guess the biggest issue with 'For Sale' threads would be the fact that they knock more important threads off the Main Page's Active thread list.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't understand the 'issue' really either, but I do know it is against the rules, and I guess that's all you need to take into account.

That sums it up, let's just roll with that ....:wink:

tsmall07

I think people are resistant to using the classifieds. It's not the "norm" in the forum world. As they are now, I don't think they're very effective. Having an obvious link directly to the classifieds (from the main page) would go a long way toward increasing effectivness as would having separate pages for WTB and FS ads. In addition, leaving ads up for a period of time after they are sold would be useful. It's very dificult to come to a fair price for a lot of the stuff that is for sale on this site without being able to look up some history on the sale of that item. The stuff in the classifieds now hasn't sold so there is no way for most to know if the price is fair or not.

moleary

I made this suggestion to DogHead yesterday in chat and I may as well throw it out there for everyone:

It seems that the issue people have with the classified section is that it is not searchable nor is it highly visible. Items placed in there can quickly be lost in the ether as other posts stack on top and time goes by.

As a work-around to this issue we could create a sticky thread in each "sub-forum" where people could place announcements of new items in the classified sections. These posts (confined to the thread) would be related to the specific type of vehicle the forum covers.

This would accomplish several things (until the classifieds are changed):

1. It would consolidate the myriad "I put this in the classifieds." posts down to one thread.
2. Give members clear visibility of items for sale that they might be interested in.
3. Provide a well defined method to get the word out about your individual items for sale in the classifieds.

The rules could be simple:

1. You must create a classified ad first.
2. You must post the link to the ad in the thread
3. No posts in the "Classifieds Alerts" thread that do anything other than alert about the ad you made (example: No replies, comments about another person ad, etc)

Sample Post of a post in what might be in a "Classified Alert" thread located in "The Deuce" sub-forum:

Title (required): For Sale: NOS Winter Fronts M35A2

M35A2 NOS Winter fronts M800 series 5 ton - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

That's it - that's all it should be... short, sweet, searchable, informative, and directs to the classifieds. Yes - I used a real link as an example... if I get flamed for that I'll go postal :-D

That's my 2cents - I hope it made sense and not just two "cents"...

Last edited:

tamangel

I don't see the problem of leaving it where it is..All you have to do is look around to find the classifieds.. If not, how about adding the word 'classifieds' to the menu bar along side the word 'resources' instead..If I want to look for something thats for sale, I go to the classifieds..No need to see it in the forum IMHO..

Mike

PorscheTech911

I agree completely with Moleary. I think that is a great idea and will solve a lot of headaches for everyone until the Classified section is made more readily noticeable. I hope the mods and admins agree and implement it. It is an easy solution and makes this headache go away so we can concentrate on some OD Iron :-D

Jake0147

Personally, I don't see that the classifieds "needs" a dedicated button, I did find it on the old forum, and found it easily here because it's pretty much the same there as it is here. It still does not seem intuitive to me that it would be on the "resources" tab however. Not wrong at all, just not where I'd expect to look for it if I didn't know. So to say a button is "needed" seems a bit overstated, I would agree that it would be nice, especially for catching the attention of people just passing through.

Just a thought... Instead of giving up a button that a lot of members use, is it possible to stick another "notice" under the "Old Steel Soldiers Can Be Viewed Here" notice? Like a "Classified Section Can Be Accessed Here" notice with a link? That should at least tell you in short order if a non-dropdown direct access method would be effective.

DeuceNewb

why not have the classified section like it is on most other forums. Just another section of forums at the bottom, that way when you hit new posts, new ads will also be included in the new posts and it is easier to see

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks