• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seriously looking at lmtv need input please

tterbo

Great news, thanks! Contacted him and buying 2 of them asap. The rear sounds pretty straightforward. Anything particular I need to know about doing the front diff? Thanks again.

scottmandu

Front is a pain in the ass. I removed the entire wheel hub/knuckle at the kingpin as to avoid having to take apart each wheel assembly. The manual recommends taking the wheel end assembly apart.

tterbo

Front is a pain in the ass. I removed the entire wheel hub/knuckle at the kingpin as to avoid having to take apart each wheel assembly. The manual recommends taking the wheel end assembly apart.
Well that doesn't sound like any fun at all. What does that whole assembly weigh? I don't really want to get into the reduction unit either and will probably just do the same...

tburk49760

I did it the other way to avoid mega heavy parts all together... Still a pain. One of my wheel bearings was way loose. Guesstimated on clearances in the reduction unit as I don't have the billion dollar tool. The results are worth the effort...

Gearhead01

Suprman - Which sensor did you replace? The one on the right side outside the torque converter? My speedometer is totally wackadoodle. I also can't find the WTEC II ECU.

Gearhead01

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Yup Allison speed sensor on the right side held on by one bolt and a metal clip bracket. There are alot of different part numbers for it. I can look for the number. The wtec2 ecu is behind the keypad they are mated and come out as one. If you start messing with it be careful the back connectors slip out easily and can go un-noticed. Also good idea to upgrade the ground on the housing bad ground can cause all types of issues with the trans control.
Will

tburk49760

Finally got water to flow through the new ac I cab unit. Now I can't get it to stop. The temp valve won't shut off completely. Of course I'll try adjusting the cable. Worst case, I put a ball valve behind the grill. I hope to begin the compressor install soon. Still love my little pickup...

grndZr0

Road use is hard on the tires. I think the goodyears are a little better than michelins on road. If you are out of alignment even slightly you will eat thru tires faster though.
Has anybody looked into running a 22.5" rim with over the road semi truck tires?

They would be a bit smaller diameter, but with taller gearing, would they potentially better (MPG, Noise, Tire Life, Tire cost...) if you were going to be pounding out some highway miles?

Ryan

Special T

Has anybody looked into running a 22.5" rim with over the road semi truck tires?

They would be a bit smaller diameter, but with taller gearing, would they potentially better (MPG, Noise, Tire Life, Tire cost...) if you were going to be pounding out some highway miles?

Ryan
Cost would still be cheaper to run military tires. By the time you add in tires wheels and reporting gearing you would have to put on a lot of miles. And if your putting on that many miles you may as well buy a semi truck. In the PNW we can get rubber for less than $250 a 395 Tire. A used wheel will run you $250 plus and used rubber will run about the same as a 395 but with a lot less tread... your still going to need a spare tie and perhaps a wheel so I don't that is saves you any... AND you have to remember gear. 385/65r22.5 are about the same width so you would still have a similar rolling resistance.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The trucks were not intended to be operated at high speed. You dont want to crash at 70mph in one of these trucks. It wouldnt be pretty. There are plenty of good civilian uses for the truck. Highway hauling is not one of them.

scottmandu

The trucks were not intended to be operated at high speed. You dont want to crash at 70mph in one of these trucks. It wouldnt be pretty. There are plenty of good civilian uses for the truck. Highway hauling is not one of them.
That would depend on what your crashing into. An LMTV will roll right over most vehicles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks