• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Setup for deep snow?

lmj301

I have been lurking since 2009. I don't post much because there is so much to learn. I have the wife on board with purchasing a Deuce (A2) and being able to modify it for my purposes. Since we are litteraly in the process of buying a house and tripling our square footage, the earliest I can buy is late spring of '12.

My purpose for the Deuce is to be an off road toy. I am not a desert racer, but a slow traveler over rough terrain. Traveling cross country in the desert and deep snow will be its home. I will convert it to a crew cab and rarely have any load other than passangers. Breakover angles are not a huge concern, but are to be in the thought. Traction is the big issue. I will install a locker when I can, but it will not be immediately.

Question:

What would be better for deep snow? (3' ish)

6x6 with 47" singles
or
4x4 with 53" singles (obviously singles)

What tire choices would you choose. I will add a poll later if enough responses warrant it.

The main issue is that NO recovery vehicles will be available if i were to get stuck. I am obviously going to buy a winch truck. I got my stock XJ with open diffs stuck a couple of winters ago. It took three modified pickups to reach me and the last one pulled everyone out. Due to size and weight, you can see the outcome if something similar would happen with a deuce.

Loco_Hosa

Correction, your a member of SS, there will ALWAYS be recovery vehicles available. Just saying.

I would think that if you can load the ass of the truck up with enough weight, then you would be better off with 6x6, but empty 4x4 would most likely take the win.

I fun thought for you, if you were considering bobbing the truck anyway, and making it a crew cab, just put an 80s Suburban body on it :)

EDIT: Keep in mind, in DEEP snow wide tires are good, you stay on top of the snow. In shallow snow, your much better with narrow tires for cutting down to the surface beneath. Also, off-roading in icy condition is MUCH more treacherous than in mud. Even more so without lockers.

Last edited:

blizzardwarrior7

I would think that lockers would be absolutely critical in deep snow. Your best bet would be to use wider tires and try to stay on top of the snow. As mentioned if you plan on carrying alot of gear and added a bit more weight than 6x6 might be the way to go.

axlr8

If you want to be cheap, look at tire prices, 6x6 with a ton of weight in back and a skilled driver will suffice, the only bad thing about deuces is that the axles get stuck, and then your stuck solid.....seen it done.....

lmj301

Cash wise I am thinking 4x4 with lockers front and rear. There is a fine balance between flotation and not enough pressure hitting the dirt to grab hold. I tend to run skinny tires on the street for better icy driving.

Keep them comming!

Thanks!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
In most of the offroading I have done, the 6x6 trucks have way less trouble making it through most spots. I cannot say the same for the 4x4 deuces. I know a lot comes from driver skill, but if I were to choose a truck, it would be 6x.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thoughts (and yes, I've dealt with snow). Chains are cheap, I'd have them on hand. The problem with a deuce is going to be the front. There is so much weight concentrated on just 2 tires, it will push through and sink in most anything. If you are going to load the bed with ballast, load it as far back as you can put it. Any weight aft the rear axles helps unload the front axle for floatation. Might consider dual 1100 rears and 14.5 fronts. Chains and arse weight will win, hands down, a cost benefit analysis.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this won't be road legal, but in a pinch on smaller roads and offroad, perhaps you can put duals on the front, like troops in Europe did to the CCKWs during WWII?

cruzinz28

I have had my Bobber through snow fresh powder bumper deep. My truck is setting on 395/85R20 XZL's right now and I had the 395/85R20 XML's when I was in the seep snow.

My Friends M35A2 is singled out with 395/85R20 XML's and when we were out in the Blizzard 2 years ago he was busting through fresh powder snow drifts hood deep to get home from work.

When it comes to snow that has drifted in tight and set for a day or two with the sun baking it thats a different story. It takes a good driver, power steering, and knowing when to stop before you burry it... back up and hit it again. I had my bobber bumper deep a day or two after the blizzrd and burried it on a back road. It was able to dig down and roack back and fourth 6" or so but that was it. I dug down to ice and I was done. Chains would have fixed that easily.

Weight is an issue on a bobber in slippery conditions, just like a pick-up. I am solving that problem by motning a 20K 5 ton winch behind the cab jst behind the rear axle. I have everything to do the job, just need time now.

Also, one last thing, Electric wipers and an arctic heater to keep the windhsield clean are a must in the winter. As is a grill cover, hood blanket and side blankets too. At Grill cover at minimum. This keeps the engine up at operating temperature.

motomacguyver

My experience with an A3 6x6 is that with dense snow, you’re not going to get anywhere once it's much deeper than the axles. Would lockers help, yes, but I have a buddy with a jeep and lockers, and he is not impressed in the snow. (The biggest problem is all 4 tires slip and then you go wherever the slope takes you.) I don't think your going to be able to keep a 15000# truck on top of the snow. I think chains would get you the furthest. 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks