• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sevo's Goats...

Sevo

I found a slight problem?!?!? It seems my front steering box leaks from the bottom seal where it connects into the linkage that turns the rear steering box. Its a pretty substantial leak. I also noticed when I try to turn the steering wheel it just doesn't feel right. It has a gritty feel. The wheels turn, something just doesn't feel right?

Do all goats feel this way when they steer?

Would you replace the entire steering box and the steering column? Or just the box? Or is there a way to only replace that lower half of the box?

Let me know your thoughts.

goat whisperer

Hi Chris,

don´t steer the goat while standing, it´s not good for the steering box, because it needs lots of power to steer both axles! Lift the front and carrier axle and try again. A gritty feeling should not be ok... Change the oil. The steering box can be adjusted a little bit, loosen the nut and turn the srew left or right (loose or tight) and see what happens.
If you have to renew the oil seals and you find new ones please let me now the measurements. I need new ones as well... At this moment I refill the steering box every month :oops: and this is a hard job for me! I allways have to take of the steering wheel to open the steering box for refilling...aua otherwise a can´t get to it...
If your steering box is damaged try to deal with Art Nelson (artparts1 at ebay)
He offers a steering box and askes for 199 :shock:

Good luck [thumbzup]

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well Chris I must say it looks like your score was worth the trouble!!! I PM'd you with the parts list you sent me and should be able to get the parts packed up as soon as you let me know what you want. I meant to ask ,do you want the NOS M-792 data plates with this stuff? You may wanna give me a ring,don't wanna slow progress LOL. Great job so far!!!! keep up the good work.

popacom / BILL :mrgreen:

Sevo

Nice save Chris,looks like both of us are progressing in different directions with our collections.
You're not kidding. That looks great! Looking forward to seeing yours on the road. Are you planning to haul anything with it?

Hi Chris,

don´t steer the goat while standing, it´s not good for the steering box, because it needs lots of power to steer both axles! Lift the front and carrier axle and try again.

Good luck [thumbzup]
Ulf,

Now you tell me!!!! You know, I think the leak started after I was trying to turn it while it was not moving aua. Lesson learned!!!

I think I am going to go ahead and replace the entire steering box and the steering column. I couldn't find a rebuild kit for it. I would just replace the fluid like you are doing but it is just leaking way to fast. I will post how it goes.

Im going to take it for a spin around the house this afternoon. Wish me luck!!

Sevo

I did some last min check ups and tweeks and decided to take her for a spin. It went great!!!:driver: I have a very long road going to my house and I and was able to get her into 3rd gear. Good GOD you really have to wind it out to get it into third. Everything worked great. The transmission shifted perfectly. I also was able to shift from hi to low range and was able to engage the 6-wheel drive as well. Everything went into gear smoothly. Also, The trailer turned and tracked very well. Ihave never driven a goat and I must say it is pretty cool seeing the trailer turn with you. That dual steering is pretty slick
You guys were not kidding about how loud they are. To get it in third I really had to get that engine humming and it was LOUD. I can see why goats had ZERO stealth.

I have to say I am very pleased with how this goat has turned out. I still need to work on the brakes and I will be re-packing the bearings as well.

Tomorrow I will be pressure washing the entire cab and engine compartment. I cant wait to see how it all looks under the dust and grime.

Last edited:

stampy

Awesome goats man! but seriously you have too much stuff so I will be glad to take some of it off your hands LOL. Hope all is well on the left coast., we miss you guys. Is the steering box leaking from a seal or a gasket? A gasket is easy enough to fabricate, while some rubber boot type seals are real hard to get.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris,
There is a post on the gammagoat site about working on the brakes. It's about 125 pagers long if printed out. Goat brakes are a bit different because they are sealed in an air chamber that is pressurized (so when it swims, they don't get wet), not hard, but kinda detailed to do correctly. Take care, and get advice from the other goat owners!

goat whisperer

Before I got the goat I had an UNIMOG S404 and compared to that vehicle goat breakes are easy to check and to repair! You can take off the hole brackets with all the parts on it as one piece and put it on your workbench... All the parts should be dry, if not check the wheel cylinders...

Attachments

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey All!!!popacom /BILL here at Aberdeen Rally,had to give a quick PM to let all you "GOAT HEADS " know,I scored a
good qty. of NOS fiberglass seat inserts and NOS fiberglass Battery covers and there is promise of more goody's to
come before the week is out. If anyone is interested give me a PM before I list them and I will try and cut some
deals you won't regret!!!! I will get in touch with YOU Sevo,as soon as I am back in town to nail down the shipment
of your M-792 parts and the brake stuff. Everyone have a great Week and a better weekend!!!

Thanks! popacom / BILL:grd:

Sevo

Hey Ulf,

All is good. I had to move my GF out here to NM and I am trying to sell my homes in SC. That and work I have not had a chance to get back to them.

I did get 6 new wheel cylinders in and will be taking all of the axels down and repacking all of the bearings.

Do you happen to have the TM for the axels, wheels and breaks?

Sevo

Hi Ulf,

Thank you for the link. I just purchased the CD. Once I take a look at what I need to do with the wheels and axles, I will get started on them.

mendo

Chris,
There is a post on the gammagoat site about working on the brakes. It's about 125 pagers long if printed out. Goat brakes are a bit different because they are sealed in an air chamber that is pressurized (so when it swims, they don't get wet), not hard, but kinda detailed to do correctly. Take care, and get advice from the other goat owners!

Do you have a link? or can direct me to that page? The Brakes are the first project I want to get done so I can move it around better.

Thanks!