• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SF97 RV Registration?

eldgenb

I purchased my M920 and WA state's DOT, DOL, DMV dept do not have the same views on things. My desire it to register my truck as an RV toter but the state says they will not convert a commercial truck title to RV without an inspection and I have to have a toilet and a bed to be an rv. So my question is, if when filling out the SF97 in the Make portion if I put RV instead of truck will gl kick it back?

M920

The problem is that if your state requires the vehicle to have a toilet and bed in order to be an RV, if you ever get pulled in to the scales or a DOT check, they will have your BUTT! The way the federal law reed is that on a privat, non commercial passenger car or motor vehicle, including RV's......If it is LEGAL in the state that you have it registered in, you can operate it in all the other 49 states, even if they have different laws. Now the big catch for this to work is that IT HAS TO BE LEGAL IN YOUR HOME STATE!

You might try it but it gets really expensive if it don't fly with the DOT.

I would rig sumthing up and get it officially inspected as an RV, even if you don't have it on there all the time, that way you are covered if they ever stop you or pull you in.

Soni

eldgenb

In WA state they use to allow semi's to register as an RV and within the last 5 years or so realized the lost revenue potential and stopped doing it, now I think that anyone who already had it done was grandfathered so I know there are a lot of them still running around the state. The DOT told me that I do not have to have a CDL but my local DMV said that I do. My Dol said they don't give a hoot as long as they can commercialize it and charge me tonnage. The only way around the mess is to make it an RV. Eventually I want to buy a 12' shelter to put in the back from time to time for camping but that is down the line. That or I will check Idaho and see what they do for trucks and register it there. I don't know.

eldgenb

After looking at the WA Matrix a little more I think I am in the clear, if I remove the 5th wheel and sell in to Soni ;) then I am no longer a combination vehicle. Curb weight is 30k, I am ditching the drop axle and some extra stuff and I can fudge the weight #'s a little on the registration I should be ok without a CDL just pay tonnage every year. right?

that picture sucked, here's a link: http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/cdlvehicles.html

Attachments

Last edited:

Hammer

WA will still most likely want a weight certificate for that. And I am not sure you can loose enough to be under the 26k part of it.
I have a hard time with them letting that one slip by. But if you get it past them, let me know how you did it!

eldgenb

WA will still most likely want a weight certificate for that. And I am not sure you can loose enough to be under the 26k part of it.
I have a hard time with them letting that one slip by. But if you get it past them, let me know how you did it!
when I have registered deuces and 5 tons in the past I have just told them how much it weighed and that was what they put on the title, they have no idea what any of this stuff is. Especially when on your SF97 you can put down any weight you want on it and just present that to the DOL.

Hammer

Yeah, but the LEO's only care about what the mfg gross weight was. And it doesn't matter what you register it as, the GVWR says it should have a CDL.

But I do know what you mean. If you can get it setup with the SF-97 having the correct info, AND (the BIG and here...) do the work to it BEFORE trying to register it. It might be possible.
Just have to make sure you actually have the legitimate stuff on the vehicle before trying to register it.

M920

The sweet thing about the RV registration is that you don't have to deal with the DOT in ANY state.....I would try the RV first.....

Soni

Hammer

Yeah, definitely better to have the RV part, just figuring out how to make it happen and making it easy to do it.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sent an SF-97 request on my last M109 Shop Van as a camper, since it had 110 current and an air conditioner in it before it was surplused. Came back as a van, not a camper. I will have to get it inspected by the compliance section of the DMV to get the change to RV status. YMMV.

eldgenb

Yeah sounds like the RV is the way to go, maybe if I spell out Recreational Vehicle on the SF97 they will leave it alone. Not to mention that with my business I intend to keep this thing looking extremely military so I do not intend on stopping at weigh stations anyway!!:driver::cookoo:

Last edited:

eldgenb

yep, I am back on the RV setup now for sure, the guys from olympia called me back and said that even if I could get the truck below 26k with it being a truck the gvw has to be the truck + 50% and that is how they rate it so a CDL is required. I will keep you posted on how smooth the RV registration goes.

Hammer

I will have the CDL part for driving, I just don't want to pay all the big $ for registration and insurance!
And if you can get it as a RV toter type setup, you pay very little, and can still get almost full usage from the truck!

eldgenb

this is from the states exception list:
1. Active Duty Military . . . with military licenses operating military vehicles.
2. Firefighters . . . meeting approved training standards and operating authorized emergency vehicles.
3. Farmers . . . in certain cases.
4. Individuals ....operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non business purposes.

I am interested in the "other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions." portion, I know this was intended for u-haul, ryder, etc but how would that not apply to me? I have not given up on the RV gig but just as a backup idea.

Hammer

Problem is this...

Drivers of vehicles with air brakes that don’t otherwise qualify as a commercial vehicle. Even though a vehicle is equipped with air brakes, it doesn’t automatically mean the driver must have a CDL. If the vehicle doesn’t meet the criteria listed under Types of vehicles requiring a CDL, the driver is exempt.

Which doesn't cut it for that.
Honestly, it seems like most LEO's I have talked to, say if it isn't for hire and not really commercial, they aren't going to bother with you.
BUT, you can't count on that.

eldgenb

Yeah I have been looking for a small sleeper to put 110v, porta john, microwave, and heat to meet the RV criteria. I was wanting to mount my knuckle boom and still have a 12 ft bed but I don't think it will be possible. I don't know how much frame you have behind the cab but with all that it would have to be at least 18 ft and I don't know what it actually is. I will keep you posted.

eldgenb

UPDATE!! I drove down to the state trooper inspection station and had a nice conversation with the inspector. She told me that to be considered an RV in Washington State that the vehicle had to have two out of three items. A designated place to sleep, a means to cook food(microwave or stove), or a means to dispose of human waste. So I am going to pick up a 42" sleeper, a 24v to 120v inverter, a walmart microwave, and make sure to keep and present your receipts is what she told me and she said not a problem. Thank god, this has been a stresser for the last couple days and now it does not seem like a big deal. I checked with all of the local states next to me and they all required 4 out of six item so its surprising to find out that WA is actually the most lenient:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:driver:.

Hammer

Wow, that IS cool news!
Did she mention that they have to be permanently mounted? I thought I remembered reading that part.
But if those two things will get my 920 registered as an RV, I am ALL OVER THAT!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks