• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SF97 RV Registration?

eldgenb

Wow, that IS cool news!
Did she mention that they have to be permanently mounted? I thought I remembered reading that part.
But if those two things will get my 920 registered as an RV, I am ALL OVER THAT!
she did say that they had to be affixed to the truck she said that installing the sleeper and bungee strapping the microwave in place is fine. She said that unless they get the feeling that you truly intend to use it for commercial purposes they are not too critical. For me that is easy since I am taking the 5th wheel off and strapping a bed on.

tcody

The problem is that if your state requires the vehicle to have a toilet and bed in order to be an RV, if you ever get pulled in to the scales or a DOT check, they will have your BUTT! The way the federal law reed is that on a privat, non commercial passenger car or motor vehicle, including RV's......If it is LEGAL in the state that you have it registered in, you can operate it in all the other 49 states, even if they have different laws. Now the big catch for this to work is that IT HAS TO BE LEGAL IN YOUR HOME STATE!

You might try it but it gets really expensive if it don't fly with the DOT.

I would rig sumthing up and get it officially inspected as an RV, even if you don't have it on there all the time, that way you are covered if they ever stop you or pull you in.

Soni
Soni - we have the same laws here. You used to have a goose neck with a sleeper on it. Did you have that titled as a Motorhome? Was thinking about doing that here as a toter for the MV. If you don't go that route you are charges oiver $1000/year for the license.

tcody

Problem is this...

Drivers of vehicles with air brakes that don’t otherwise qualify as a commercial vehicle. Even though a vehicle is equipped with air brakes, it doesn’t automatically mean the driver must have a CDL. If the vehicle doesn’t meet the criteria listed under Types of vehicles requiring a CDL, the driver is exempt.

Which doesn't cut it for that.
Honestly, it seems like most LEO's I have talked to, say if it isn't for hire and not really commercial, they aren't going to bother with you.
BUT, you can't count on that.
Hammer - you are right. Same rules apply here. That's why you can drive one of those 40,000 LB bus conversion motorhomes without a CDL.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks