• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

shelter's

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Re: RE: shelter

CCATLETT1984 said:
S250 or S270
An S-250 would be awfully small for a deuce; they would normally go on a HMMWV, Gama Goat, CUCV, etc.

The S-280 and its various cousins are the right size to fill the deuce bed.

I'm not familiar with the S-270 yet.

I don't know of any particular sources for them at the moment, but here are a couple of files that might prove interesting.

I have pictures of my S-448 (a cousin of the S-280) on my web page, and I have an S-250 mounted on my HMMWV.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: shelter

Our state DOT gets them before they ever make it to auction, here. They have them lined up in rows along fences surrounding the different sites and use them as sheds for storage.

RE: Re: RE: shelter

Thanks for all the responses was hoping to find something closer to home now i no what fits i think i am going to look for the 280 or s371 maybe even look for a 109 box someone has taken off for some reason unknown Thanks again

jim-m35a2

How would one get a 12 foot shelter in and out of the bed of a Deuce without a overhead crane or wrecker. I saw where one was installed using a front end loader.

Jim
________
Paxil lawsuites

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
jim-m35a2 said:
How would one get a 12 foot shelter in and out of the bed of a Deuce without a overhead crane or wrecker. I saw where one was installed using a front end loader.
Maybe with a flatbed wrecker from the local towing company? I'm not sure if its bed would be high enough to line up with the deuce's bed, but if it was, then the wrecker could winch the shelter up onto its bed, and then you could use a winch or come-along to drag it onto the deuce. I've used this trick to offload a scissor lift from a semitrailer. I don't remember the bed height of the flatbed wrecker, though. If the wrecker's bed was a bit too low, maybe you could back the deuce up to a berm that would let the wrecker get the shelter up above the edge of the deuce's bed.

Take a look at the pictures at the following link, showing how a commercial wrecker offloaded my M543A2 military wrecker from the semitrailer that it came on. They might give you some ideas. With a bit of ingenuity, the local towing companies can come in handy when you need to load/unload truck shipments without your own facilities or equipment!

http://www.nf6x.net/greentruck/truck3/pics.html

Believe it or not, I loaded mine by jacking and stacking pallets under the front of my shelter then using a come-along thru a snatch block to both bottom corners of the shelter and easily pulled it onto my duece.

And if I hadent done it in the dark with flashlights, I would have pictures of it :wink:

But as you see it sitting on the trailer, I disconnected from the pickup, backed the duece over the toung jack of the trailer, stacked many pallets under the front of the shelter and pulled it up onto the duece. Once it got 51% of the weight over the edge, it gently landed on the deck, then I just positioned it.

This is a s371 shelter (now being converted to a camper)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks