• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sherpa winch took a dump

davidb56

My 24vdc Sherpa winch has very little use on it....very very little. I pull firewood with cables on the back pintle hitch. Today, for the 3rd time I needed to winch around a stump and the winch quit working before I even got the cable slack out. I drove back with about 12 feet of cable wrapped around my bumper and proceeded to remove the control cables off the motor. the ground bolt on the bottom, drained water when removed. L%3DjxVqTre4z+dV8wGnQQ.jpgzfiywlbWTT6VfFscj+BjSg.jpg

davidb56

So there are no Authorized repair facilities in the USA. They have a email, which I sent pics. I hope I can at least get them to send another motor. If I ever buy another winch, I'll have to consider something like this happening again. Funny thing is their advertisement includes a video of the winch running under water. This one has only seen rain and snow for under 2 years.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Just to be sure here, did your winch reach thermal overload? It doesn’t take much, very little run time, to get warm enough to shutdown to protect itself from burning up. And cool down takes a longggggg time. Check it now that it’s cool and report back.

Also in their under water video, they stated that anytime the winch is submerged a tear down and inspection is recommended to verify water intrusion has not occurred.

I’m the one who blew one up at the Georgia Rally this year, when time allows ill tear it down, make a report and update y’all on Sherpa’s response. I hear they are excellent with warranty claims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidb56

Just to be sure here, did your winch reach thermal overload? It doesn’t take much, very little run time, to get warm enough to shutdown to protect itself from burning up. And cool down takes a longggggg time. Check it now that it’s cool and report back.

Also in their under water video, they stated that anytime the winch is submerged a tear down and inspection is recommended to verify water intrusion has not occurred.

I’m the one who blew one up at the Georgia Rally this year, when time allows ill tear it down, make a report and update y’all on Sherpa’s response. I hear they are excellent with warranty claims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. also I have a circuit breaker on it. on this pull, it only had the weight of the chain as it went out when I was taking up slack. The culprit was WATER entering the motor, which according to their propaganda is capable of running under water. Mine has never been under water. I bought it 5/19.

davidb56

It has seen its fair share of snow though. Its obvious the motor wasn't sealed properly, as you can see from the pictures of water draining out of it.

davidb56

Ah, they are busy taking turns whipping the assistant seal installer. They'll get back to you after.
They said they are going to send me another motor next week. And yes, the assistant sealer missed about 3/8 inch area. the water entered the motor bolt holes and stayed there because the rest was sealed real good.FXhZzMoZR7i4qKJ1EHi7aA.jpg

davidb56

Humans can make mistakes...and it is good when they own up to them. I bet that new motor will be sealed tightly!
It should be....I sprayed the sealed surface with Permatex leak sealant (expensive stuff I used on a bad engine timing cover) and I'm going to build a rain/snow shield over it too. Maybe even a moisture sensor ..j/k Now i can recommend their product to others because of this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks