• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shopping around for new engine. Would like some pointers.

WARWAG

I have an 86 M1028 with a 6.2 with 54,XXX original miles (On the truck at least). The engine has a HMMWV oil pan I'm told. So I am not sure if its the original engine but suspect it is. I'm looking into replacing the engine with a P400. I have seen ratings from 190 NA up to 250 HP (Turbo) with 550 Ft Lbs. I like those numbers. Anyone else have any suggestions or ideas at what I should look at. If the P400 is the best then who would you suggest I contact? I will replace the engine in February. I will keep the good stock engine and tinker around with it for a possible buggy install I want to do down the road. Thanks for any help.

Triple C

I would suggest you surf the web a bit and find a good forum on these motors. There are a few but I don't know if it is okay to name them so pm me if you want. The reason I say that is because all 6.2-6.5 blocks are not made equal. There were a few years where the casting was stronger in the webs and on the decks than others (93 was best if I recall correctly.) That makes a big difference if you are going to put a turbo on, plus after something like 95-96, the IP's went to a module control that is WAY more expensive and complicated. I have a one ton 93 with a 6.5 with a DB2 and a 97 6.5 with a DB4 and the DB4 pump cost twice what the DB2 cost. That's my 2cents. Hope that helps some.

Stonepicker1

Google "Optimizer 6500"
I bought one of these "New and Improved" 6.5L turbo engine's from GEP (General Engine Products) and dropped it into my 1999 CUCV-II a few years ago. Engine cost me just under $5K and I did all the work. They wanted $400 more for the P400, but needed to have a custom oil pan made for it to fit.

I also won a new, 6.5L GEP out of Ft. Jackson, SC for around $2K. I dropped that engine into my 1986 CUCV Dually. It had a 6.2L and when I put the 6.5L in it. Wow...what a big difference. I then put a Banks Sidewinder turbo on it and have pulled a loaded gooseneck trailer from PA to FL with no problems. Pulls better then my CUCV-II's .

If I had to do it all over again, I would just get a GEP engine off of GL and rebuild it.2cents2cents I just bought one out of Jacksonville, FL. for $500. It had a bad cylinder, but like new heads( I needed a replacement head due to a bad intake seat in my CUCV-II)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks