• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shopping around for new engine. Would like some pointers.

WARWAG

I have an 86 M1028 with a 6.2 with 54,XXX original miles (On the truck at least). The engine has a HMMWV oil pan I'm told. So I am not sure if its the original engine but suspect it is. I'm looking into replacing the engine with a P400. I have seen ratings from 190 NA up to 250 HP (Turbo) with 550 Ft Lbs. I like those numbers. Anyone else have any suggestions or ideas at what I should look at. If the P400 is the best then who would you suggest I contact? I will replace the engine in February. I will keep the good stock engine and tinker around with it for a possible buggy install I want to do down the road. Thanks for any help.

Triple C

I would suggest you surf the web a bit and find a good forum on these motors. There are a few but I don't know if it is okay to name them so pm me if you want. The reason I say that is because all 6.2-6.5 blocks are not made equal. There were a few years where the casting was stronger in the webs and on the decks than others (93 was best if I recall correctly.) That makes a big difference if you are going to put a turbo on, plus after something like 95-96, the IP's went to a module control that is WAY more expensive and complicated. I have a one ton 93 with a 6.5 with a DB2 and a 97 6.5 with a DB4 and the DB4 pump cost twice what the DB2 cost. That's my 2cents. Hope that helps some.

Stonepicker1

Google "Optimizer 6500"
I bought one of these "New and Improved" 6.5L turbo engine's from GEP (General Engine Products) and dropped it into my 1999 CUCV-II a few years ago. Engine cost me just under $5K and I did all the work. They wanted $400 more for the P400, but needed to have a custom oil pan made for it to fit.

I also won a new, 6.5L GEP out of Ft. Jackson, SC for around $2K. I dropped that engine into my 1986 CUCV Dually. It had a 6.2L and when I put the 6.5L in it. Wow...what a big difference. I then put a Banks Sidewinder turbo on it and have pulled a loaded gooseneck trailer from PA to FL with no problems. Pulls better then my CUCV-II's .

If I had to do it all over again, I would just get a GEP engine off of GL and rebuild it.2cents2cents I just bought one out of Jacksonville, FL. for $500. It had a bad cylinder, but like new heads( I needed a replacement head due to a bad intake seat in my CUCV-II)