• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

shopping for a snatch block

Kalashnikov

Colemans is out of snatch blocks and I can't seem to find any place that sells them for a good price. Is there another source that someone has currently? I'm looking to get about 4 or 2 double sheaves and possibly a single.

I just read the entire thread and learned something. I didn't know that since the source of the pull was the load, that it doubled the pulling power. Very interesting.

Now, I don't have a winch (yet), so I haven't read what the cable is rated for or the shackles on the front of a deuce, but...

Has anyone thought of using two snatch blocks with high ratings (15 tons or more) and running a 3:1 system for a 30,000 lb. pull?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I knew Colemans sold out of them. They were a great price. There are others around but it will cost you alot more than Colemans.

snatch block

So I was browsing Tractor supply today, and came across a snatch block for 40 bucks. I have heard not to trust the harbor freight variety but this one appears to be a descent item. any input appreciated

Champion Power Equipment Snatch Block, 16000 lbs. - 1834177 | Tractor Supply Company
I bought that same snatch block at Tractor Supply. The first time I used it with my F-150 and Warn 12K winch it broke. Even since I have repaired it, I would not use it for anything. Still looking for one to use with my A3 and the 18K Warn electric winch.

fasttruck

there is a ration established for cable v, block @ 12:1. So a .5 inch cable needs a 6
inch sheave, .75 = 9 inch and so on. Then you get to decide if you want multiple sheaves and beckets etc.

stumps

There is a big problem with buying cheap Chinese tools... snatch blocks included. The Chinese rely on you believing that appearance is the sole determination of fitness for use. A cast iron snatch block painted all pretty looks as capable as a forged steel snatch block.... it weighs the same too. But put side by side in a pulling test, the cast iron block will crumble long before the forged steel block will.

-Chuck

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone point me to a picture of the mil 6" snatch block and also tell me the
rating of it please.

I am trying to identify the snatch block I have which is built like a brick s-house.
It has a fancy knobed handle to make it easy to seperate the side so you can insert the
cable.

Thanks,
Bruce

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! But that's not the one, I guess I'll have to figure out how to get a picture of it.
Bruce

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that is a pic of the correct duece snatch block. there is a smaller odd looking snatch block that i have i can take a pic of and post.. had a knob that you loosened up to put the cable in. i also have a 3/4 m37 snatch block that i can take of pic of too

dragonwagon

Rizzo and I talked about the Coleman's shatch blocks awhile back. A deuce winch is rated for 10,000 single line pull. If you use a snatch block you should be able to double your pulling force which would be 20,000lb. Now the snatch block is rated at 5 tons (10,000lbs). I'm pretty sure that the block Coleman's sells is the correct block though. We never came up with an answer to the 5-ton rating. Anybody know?
This is an odd thing , been in towing all my adult life and we use plenty of snatch blocks .

A 10,000 lb winch needs a 10,000 snatch block rating . People get it in there head they need to double that to 20,000 , not so .

Civilian world stop by any tow shop and ask if you could get one of there old tow equipment mags , Johnson is one of the top names in snatch blocks but your looking at 200 or more .

In our TSC store they carry warn snatch blocks , good quality but not made for 5/8 cable as stated . Sheave wheels are made to fit different size wire rope . Yes you need the correct sheave for your wire rope .

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is an odd thing , been in towing all my adult life and we use plenty of snatch blocks .

A 10,000 lb winch needs a 10,000 snatch block rating . People get it in there head they need to double that to 20,000 , not so .
But would you agree that, with a 10,000lb winch and using the snatch block to double the pulling force, you will have 20,000lb on the block itself?

I have not been around towing as much as I have lifting. I know the lifting blocks are rated for what they will accually hold and not the line pull. For instance, I was running a 15ton crane today. Winch line pull is 6,000lb. there's no way a 3-ton block will hold up. I can run up to a 5 part line on the block which is rated for 15 tons WLL.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But would you agree that, with a 10,000lb winch and using the snatch block to double the pulling force, you will have 20,000lb on the block itself?
Ty, I cannot get my mind right. A 10k winch pulls 10k. Doubling the line back to the vehicle performing self recovery doubles the pull power but it is still the 10k being leveraged.

In the above situation the snatch block will see 10k, and the truck front bumper will see about 20k..... I think.

Rick

3dAngus

Thanks! But that's not the one, I guess I'll have to figure out how to get a picture of it.
Bruce
Bruce,
Check the classified ads. I have one there for sale which has a pic. See if it is the one you'r thinking of. If it is, there are some stats there in the ad.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rick, think about what the hook of the snach block is hooked to that you are trying to move. If you agree that you can pull 20,000lb with using a snach block you can't look past the fact that there will be 20,000lb on the snatch block hook. If you are pulling 20,000lb there will be a 20,000lb load on everything between the object and the winch vehicle. Of course you will have a 2 part line so each line will take half the load. Hooking as you described, there would be 10,000lb on the bumper (where the dead end is attached) and another 10,000lb on the winch (where the live end is attached).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks