• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shortening a 5 ton cargo cover to 2.5 ton 8 pics

Kaiserjeeps

Wanting to cover the bed of my M35A2 I soon found that M35 cargo covers were not that easy to find. Plus a big risk with some NOS canvas is dryrot I'm told. Get them wet and hit the road and they come apart. I decided to try shortening a vinyl 5 ton cover by measuring, cutting and glueing with an Industrial cement. This cover is all one piece. Sides and end curtians together.

The first picture shows the cover right out of the box. about 14 inches to long. I did not realize I had it on backwards at this point.

I marked where the rear bowes were after tugging the cover rearward.
I remove it and brought it inside to start warming it for the glue.
I needed to remove the large grommets which strengthen each corner.
The center post can be driven out unlocking the teeth, carefully pry apart both halves and now the cover can be laid flat. I found my marks and made sure it all measured up. This is the first cut

I looked around for what looked like the best cement. I found Pliobond and bought it because it mentions withstanding "vibration, flexing, stretching". Here is a picture with details on who makes it.
I used about 8 OZ of the product with some double coating.

I marked out my overlap and applied the glue. It was a real good thing I live alone. The fumes were nasty. Make sure you get lots of fresh air.

Here you can see the amount of vinyl that needed to be removed. The scrap on the floor will be kept for reinforcing edges and repairs.

I would strongly suggest that you take a corner off the truck and use it to assist with assembling the two pieces. You can hold it like a body dolly behind the lower layer or secure it in a vice. Simply roll the cover down the corner aligning the glue joint as you go. After a couple days of setting up, I installed the top and gave the corners a natural fold to mark my new rivit holes. Careful work with an exacto knife and the rivets went back to where they needed to be.

Here is a rear shot with the cover facing forward like it should.

Here is the front edge I shortened. I wanted the trailing edge but didn't catch the reversal till it was to late. The glue is holding great and with a minor edge trim it will be set I believe. If needed a wide stitch seam can be done to add strength if done inside the glue joint borders.

It's holding up great after many miles now. It was supposed to acheive full strength in 7 days. Could I wait that long? well....NO

Kaiserjeeps

Hey DR, guess what I brought home today... [^]

It needs a few things. I should have it up and running shortly. I found canvas tarps at Ace hardware. The are only 10 OZ where New life Resources uses 18 OZ canvas. I would suggest the heavy stuff. I will continue to search out canvas suppliers. It's home though. Some simple maintenance and obtain a part or two and I should be making cool stuff in no time. I'm jazzed!!

Desert Rat

KJ,
Find the heaviest duty canvas (especially desert camo!). The machine looks super nice too! Good to see you got it home. Now you need to worry about any girlfriends coming in and seeing it! They might get the wrong ideas (modern women + sewing = trouble at best). Or worse, they might expect you to fix their clothes!

Kaiserjeeps

Why I would be glad to fix their clothes... As long as they take them off first.. Did I just say that?? LOL!! I found parts are pretty availible for them. I need just a couple things. I'll get around to trying to find a good canvas source. I've got my hands full assisting a friend with a family crisis right now. Things will slow down in a week or so.

As for original canvas weight or thickness, I would imagine them to be 18 OZ fabric. I don't know if thats original but New Life uses the thick stuff. The machine is capable so I'll try and find that.