• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

should i buy a 2.5 or 5 ton truck?

justin22885

well, this isnt going to be a thread discussing differences, or whats better because no doubt thats been done to death.. this is about what you guys think would be best for my needs?.. im in need of a fairly large truck capable of offroad duties, and it needs to be a multi-purpose vehicle.. say, like a big swiss army knife on wheels

im purchasing land soon in a rather remote location, wont be any roads to get to it.. i will need to harvest most my supplies on site to build a house so for a while i will be living out of something else.. my plan is to buy a 2.5 or 5 ton cargo truck and remove the bed (temporarily) and then build and install a small camper.. id like to have a small bathroom/shower, small stove, and a place to sleep.. those are my only real requirements for the camper portion

anyway.. i will also be making a number of modifications, installing things like a built-in air compressor, welder, an APU so the vehicle can be used as a mobile power source/generator as well.. and i also want something that can be fairly simple to work on, so im wondering which one, either the 2.5 or 5 ton would be best suited for multiple purposes as above?, which one is capable of going anywhere and doing anything?.. which one is best for these needs?

i know the 5-ton really doesnt get that much less than the 2.5 ton, and the later ones with the smaller cummins engine i hear is quite easy to find parts for and to work on where the 2.5 ton mostly uses a multi-fuel engine that doesnt seem to be fairly common commercially.. honestly, i think something that was easier to find parts for would probably be better for me than something multi-fuel, however, i dont know much about these engines, or what kind of fuel can actually be used in them, but since i intend to start experimenting with making my own fuel.. multi-fuel could be useful

so, your recommendations and why?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to capitalize,' cause it's in our rules.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well, this isnt going to be a thread discussing differences, or whats better because no doubt thats been done to death.. this is about what you guys think would be best for my needs?.. im in need of a fairly large truck capable of offroad duties, and it needs to be a multi-purpose vehicle.. say, like a big swiss army knife on wheels

im purchasing land soon in a rather remote location, wont be any roads to get to it.. i will need to harvest most my supplies on site to build a house so for a while i will be living out of something else.. my plan is to buy a 2.5 or 5 ton cargo truck and remove the bed (temporarily) and then build and install a small camper.. id like to have a small bathroom/shower, small stove, and a place to sleep.. those are my only real requirements for the camper portion

anyway.. i will also be making a number of modifications, installing things like a built-in air compressor, welder, an APU so the vehicle can be used as a mobile power source/generator as well.. and i also want something that can be fairly simple to work on, so im wondering which one, either the 2.5 or 5 ton would be best suited for multiple purposes as above?, which one is capable of going anywhere and doing anything?.. which one is best for these needs?

i know the 5-ton really doesnt get that much less than the 2.5 ton, and the later ones with the smaller cummins engine i hear is quite easy to find parts for and to work on where the 2.5 ton mostly uses a multi-fuel engine that doesnt seem to be fairly common commercially.. honestly, i think something that was easier to find parts for would probably be better for me than something multi-fuel, however, i dont know much about these engines, or what kind of fuel can actually be used in them, but since i intend to start experimenting with making my own fuel.. multi-fuel could be useful

so, your recommendations and why?
Get something like these.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

For what it would cost for a conversion to a camper you could just buy a bumper pull camper and install a Reese hitch on the truck. This would leave your bed for hauling stuff. My recommendation would be a 900 series 5 ton since the market is flooded with them (assuming they are released again) and most maintenance parts are available at retail parts houses.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second that. A m939A2 would be my choice.

I bought a m931a2 and plan to put a m109a3 box on the back.

justin22885

11Echo, those campers you posted is what i had in mind.. looks like i have a lot of votes for the M939, any votes for the M35?.. if i towed a camper i believe either one would be sufficient enough but as im looking to buy land someplace remote, no road, i need a solution that can be taken offroad.. granted i could probably put an offroad chassy underneath a pull behind camper

the way i see it is the 939 has only a little less fuel economy, a lot more power, an engine that parts can be found relatively easily for, and if im not mistaken it also has power steering and a plethora of other features.. i would probably add something like a built in welder and air compressor and probably tool storage

if i were to go with the M35, and found the multi-fuel capability to be useless to me and wanted something i could more easily find parts for, has anyone ever done any engine swaps on the 2.5? i wonder how well a 6.7L cummins diesel would work in it?

also, what is the purpose of removing one of the rear axles i see many people do after purchasing their truck?.. the thought has crossed my mind since i do not believe i will be loading anything heavy enough to need the tandem axles and it does seem like it would make it a bit cheaper to maintain

Last edited:

61sleepercab

Compare insurance cost/license plate / and your states requirement for driver's license vs. CDL which is expensive to get and keep. I have Deuce and 5 ton both and 5 ton easier driving with power steering and automatic trans. 5 ton cannot be pull started and if you cook a transmission you are hurting. A deuce has about same size bed and unless hauling rock you will not over weight truck. If Deuce engine or transmission dies you could repower with almost any engine/trans combo. If I were young and spry and not running lots of miles, the Deuce with juice brakes may be cheaper to operate and license . Try driving each one. Mark

Flyingvan911

The 5 ton will haul more if you're looking for a real heavy duty work truck. For medium duty a deuce is fine. Parts for the deuces are plentiful. I agree on researching the cost of insurance, plates, etc. That may be the deciding factor.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 5 ton will haul more if you're looking for a real heavy duty work truck. For medium duty a deuce is fine. Parts for the deuces are plentiful. I agree on researching the cost of insurance, plates, etc. That may be the deciding factor.
Only in this crowd would a Deuce be considered a medium-duty work truck. :)

justin22885

well i dont actually need a heavy duty work truck.. just something to haul some lumber, drive around (i wont have a road where ill be living).. fair well offroad, and be inexpensive to run and repair... im not above making modifications.. if i got an M35, i wouldnt be opposed to the added work or cost of say adding power steering, or repowering with a more plentiful engine.. say the 6.7L cummins currently used in dodge 2500 and 3500 pickups.. but would this engine have the adequate power for a 2.5 ton?.. also, i may be doing some traveling on the highway as well.. wonder what it would take to gear it up just a bit for higher speeds?

197thhhc

If you look into what you can burn in a multifuel, the argument would be over. The duece is easy to source parts for and if you are going for an "off the grid" lifestyle I think a better choice. Now the absolute best in my opinion is a LDS multifuel 5 ton. You have the added feature of a higher load capacity, power steering, and it is still an EMP proof vehicle. I think a LDS 5 ton multifuel Semi tractor with your camper on the back would be the best bet and its still under the CDL weight limit.

justin22885

hmm.. well, i do think i need to spend some time on this forum, and check out more about the multi-fuel engine.. this could be something useless to me, or absolutely fantastic.. i mean.. should an event occur that was the end of civilization as we know it, being able to run on anything flammable seems like it could be a huge bonus

but what kind of power or efficiency compromises were made to bring us the multi-fuel capability.. and is the capability worth the loss in that efficiency?.. it could be great to be able to fill up with diesel, kerosene, gasoline, whatevers cheapest when its time to fill up.. and my guess is the engine could run on straight vegetable oil too?

Last edited:

59apache

Chipmaker
An other route (that would i go) is a shelter on the deuce and a M105 trailer for the equipment. You can unload the shelter at your AO, keep your welding and power stuff together on the M105 and can haul all your need with the M35.
The M35 is due its size a handy? vehicle, it's not much larger than a fullsize Pick up (such as a Dodge Quad cab with longbed).

My 2 cents.

justin22885

well you guys have certainly convinced me for certain to get one of the military cargo trucks, still dont know which one.. i honestly dont know which one though.. but im leaning 2.5 ton as the 5 ton still strikes me as overkill for my needs.. and im also now considering towing a camper i could build myself with the intention of being offroad capable that i can unhook when i get to where im going and drive the truck around as my daily driver for a while

when i have the land im even considering growing a couple acres of either sunflower or rapeseed for the sole purpose of being crushed into oil to be used as fuel.. and am i reading this right?.. do people really dump used motor oil and automatic transmission fluid into their engines?

59apache

Chipmaker
You will need a lot of acres to "reap" the fuel for a truck. With a lot of effort. Ask cranetruck about it. He have a lot of experience with with veg. oil.
If you have a place there you can make repairs and maintenance and a back-up vehicle, you can drive WMO and so on.
Problems with the hydraulic head and injectors will occur. If you have the possiblty to filter the waste oil, have a water separator aso. it will work.
But i wouldn't take the risk standing in the middle of nowhere with broke down truck. One towing fee and repair bill and you're even.

Run it with straight diesel. It's build for.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

The 2.5 ton with M35Tom's power steering kit and overdrive kit is what you need. And I second the idea of the S280 shelter in the back of the truck with an M105 trailer for equipment and supplies hauling. You should check out 59apache's camper build thread. It has everything you would need. Should give you some good ideas.

quickfarms

A civilian camper would probably be damaged towed off-road, non road.

You would be better off with a s-280 shelter or a tractor with a m146.

If I wanted to build a off grid camp I would install a roll off on my truck and build modules at the shop and haul them to the site.

A 20 foot container can be converted into a nice cabin

justin22885

i thought about building pre-fabbed modules to haul to the site and set up for a permanent living structure.. ive also considered designing my own military style tent, similar to the temper tents using a tube steel frame i could pre-fab, set up on sight, and cover with an insulated shell consisting of a fabric interior and exterior sandwiching an insulating layer and put this over an insulated wood plank floor.. but im also thinking of just renting a portable lumber mill to harvest trees on site and build a timber-framed cottage

on the 2.5 ton, the M35, can a camper be made that includes a small shower/toilet that still has enough room for a small kitchen and bed?.. i ask this because if im looking to buy land in alaska.. i dont want to be stuck in -40 weather and have to go outside to use the bathroom and freeze off certain appendages, so its important i have an internal means to do the deed.. if the 2.5 ton isnt big enough for a camper?.. is the 5 ton large enough?

keep in mind im also considering fabricating a camper/trailor myself, maybe a 20' for the purpose of offroad capability.. though, i could just get an 8x8x20 foot shipping container and put it on top of an off-road trailer chassy and build a camper out of that.. question?.. would an 8x8x20 shopping container fit on an M35 or M939?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only thing I'll add is in my experience, a deuce is more capable off-road. A 5-ton weighs so much that they will sink if it gets too soft (super singles will help this). You've also got a bigger problem if you get a 5-ton stuck. I've had my m939 truck stuck, pull it out, and then drive my deuce right through the same hole, not even spinning a tire.

That being said, 5-tons are cheap right now and you can overload a deuce if you start putting too much stuff in the back or trying to pull a sizable trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks