• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I paint my trucks other than Military green?

Admittedly I am a little concerned about posing this question, because it seems that pretty often some members jump all over posters saying things like "we all know that that was discussed back in 2008". Anyway, since the "Resources" appears to be down again, I'm going to go out on a limb and ask anyway.

I've stumbled into the world of MV's by accident. A few years back I needed to replace an International wrecker at our marina with something with a little more guts. Area vets pointed me to the M816, which I couldn't afford. Since I already had a hydraulic boom, I opted for an M818 which we fitted with our existing boom. It has worked admirably but just recently as the boats are getting bigger, we need something a little more suited for the purpose. I was able to convince my wife that we needed an M816. In November GL auctioned 18 at once @ Ft. Meade. It's a long story, but I wound up with not one good runner, but two at very good prices!

So, to the question at hand. As you can see in my Avatar, we painted the M818 dark blue to match other equipment at the marina. We're looking at the new wreckers and are contemplating doing the same to them, but after reading numerous posts here, now I'm not so sure that we should. Of course you guys all think that it is blasphemous (as I too am starting to think), but from a business point of view, will doing so drastically reduce future resale value. I probably won't sell them anyway since I tend to collect things, but what do you think?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Admittedly I am a little concerned about posing this question, because it seems that pretty often some members jump all over posters saying things like "we all know that that was discussed back in 2008". Anyway, since the "Resources" appears to be down again, I'm going to go out on a limb and ask anyway.

I've stumbled into the world of MV's by accident. A few years back I needed to replace an International wrecker at our marina with something with a little more guts. Area vets pointed me to the M816, which I couldn't afford. Since I already had a hydraulic boom, I opted for an M818 which we fitted with our existing boom. It has worked admirably but just recently as the boats are getting bigger, we need something a little more suited for the purpose. I was able to convince my wife that we needed an M816. In November GL auctioned 18 at once @ Ft. Meade. It's a long story, but I wound up with not one good runner, but two at very good prices!

So, to the question at hand. As you can see in my Avatar, we painted the M818 dark blue to match other equipment at the marina. We're looking at the new wreckers and are contemplating doing the same to them, but after reading numerous posts here, now I'm not so sure that we should. Of course you guys all think that it is blasphemous (as I too am starting to think), but from a business point of view, will doing so drastically reduce future resale value. I probably won't sell them anyway since I tend to collect things, but what do you think?
How about the Air Force blue from Rapco?

jimmcld

I don't believe the paint color makes much difference to the average buyer. Most of what you see needs painting anyway, and painting over blue is just as easy as painting over green or camo. I know a lot of MV's have been painted red at some time.

gunboy1656

Well I am one of the purists who like to see the trucks stay as they came from service. I don't care to look at the bobbed trucks as I see no purpose to do it. HOWEVER, I am not the one who bought the truck so I (nor anyone else) have no say in what you do with it. Some trucks look alright with a different paint job, but some look aweful (just look at the one on ebay right now)

So do as you wish with it.

On another note, the Air Force did paint their trucks blue at one point. Guess I was beat to this point.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You bought it, you paid for it, paint it as you like. A truck with blue paint will last much longer than a truck with flaking paint and rust. Consider the new paint as a preservative!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A wrecker is a wrecker. Many will pay more for one in the "correct" paint, personally, I'd paint them to match the others. As long as there isn't a lot of rust under the blue, a repaint is a simple task. They are yours, do as you want. I'm not a big fan of doing things to impress others.

I like that Rapco Airforce Blue idea. Thanks. By the way, just a little shout out to 3DAngus. I bought some 1.5" adapters from him on Friday for my 83,000 lb. towbar. They showed up today in like new condition. Good Guy!

steelandcanvas

Buddy, it's your truck, I say paint it purple if you want to. Trying to make all your equipment the same color is a very professional idea. There will still be enough 'ol boys down at the Marina that will recognize it as an MV. Paint the words "For Official Use Only" on both doors, everyone will think it was Air Force.

3dAngus

I say, "Just do it!"

Thanks. That priority mail is something else.

And that yellow wrecker is probably the nicest looking, classiest, MV wrecker I've ever seen. And it's not even green!

A

A/C Cages

I thought about painting one of mine the same anoying yellow color as my Hummers and put my company logo all over it.
I huge anoying yellow rolling bilboard !

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I like HndrsonJ's Strata Blue idea.

That gives you a lot of flexibility-if you get deeper into the MV hobby (as opposed to your current "some interest/some commerce" position) you can go ahead and letter it as a USAF vehicle. Surely the Air Force had some M816's.

If you don't, then it's blue and matches your fleet.

I suppose it might suffer some small hit in resale value if a collector is buying it, as we inevitably prefer green or tan. But it's a small price.

sterlun

Just to reiterate what's already been said; it's yours. Who cares who likes it as long as you do. And, to me, if all the company equipment has a common color scheme it's a no brainer.

I wouldn't worry about resale value. For every 1 of us that would pass it up due to un-original paint, there's probably 2 out there that would like it better. It's like Fords vs Chevys. Besides, by the time you sell it will have paid for itself and then some in your business so whatever you get could be considered 100% profit from a business standpoint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks