• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I paint my trucks other than Military green?

3dAngus

One thing about Air Force blue. DO NOT USE air force blue paint. It starts turning dull in just a few years.
Been on an AF Base since 1972 since I returned vrom a tour in VN with the Army.

I've seen a lot of faded, then dull, blue paint. You can get better quality that would hold up better elsewhere.

But then, in all fairness, I have never, ever, seen an airman hand waxing a truck. Wash? Yes, Wax? No.
Firetrucks? Sure, but, Well... they're light green, and mostly manned by civilians.

197thhhc

Let them match your equipment. Its always best to look professional. If everyones trucks look alike we wouldn't be able to tell them apart at the mall.:doh:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill Preston (Miltruckman) has a strata blue deuce with a knuckleboom, looks nice. My M108 was Air Force and was originally blue.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing about Air Force blue. DO NOT USE air force blue paint. It starts turning dull in just a few years.
Been on an AF Base since 1972 since I returned vrom a tour in VN with the Army. I've seen a lot of faded, then dull, blue paint. You can get better quality that would hold up better elsewhere.
But then, in all fairness, I have never, ever, seen an airman hand waxing a truck. Wash? Yes, Wax? No.
Firetrucks? Sure, but, Well... they're light green, and mostly manned by civilians.
All, military paint fades, usually in a year and a half or so.

midcounty

I say avoid the problem by seeling the wrecker to me rofl. Seriously, I wouldn't hesitate to paint it any color you choose. Each truck I have bought I planned to repaint when I bought them. I just want the same shade and style of camo on each of my trucks so they match and look good together.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I have to admit...I kinda cheat on the paint.:neutral:

I take a sample of the correct military color to the local CARQUEST and get them to make some good, long lasting paint:-D
We don't play with CARC though.

emr

Like said its yours and U did try the search for some info and that is greatly respected here, just because so many newbys ask the same thing over and over, but for sure it is yours , but a military theme is very noticeable and may even bring more notice to your vehicles i think, but i would go with a olive drab 24087 semi gloss the vietnam era and use white letters of your company info in the places the mil used theres, like the company name down the side of hood where US Army was and your phone number under it where the id number would be and on the front bumper put your bus name on the pass side and your phone number on the drivers side in a stencil font of course... u could do that on the blues too, still cool, I am the type that likes it when they are kept as mil as possible though. but thats my opinion,,, good luck. :)

Thanks to all! I wanted opinions and got good ones. I like the AF Blue idea. Next problem, the M818 was named "Patton" by one of our old time boaters. The truck says Patton in MASH-like letters on the front and has 4 stars on the doors. Do you guys see a big problem with sticking with the theme by naming the new M816's army general names with AF Blue paint on the trucks? I know it's not life or death, but what would you think if you saw such a mish-mash?

Last edited:

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
It's your truck and I suspect you take very good care of it because its your work truck. I bet every vet who comes to your marina just loves seeing it no matter what the color is. I like Patton along with any other great past military leaders. You should start a thread about names for it. I throw in General Lee, Gen Pershing, Gen MacArthur, Stonewall Jackson, Col Teddy Rosevelt, and on and on it could go. You could even name it after some of our great admirals. Bull Haulsey, Fraugut, , etc. Whrere in PA are you located?

It's now 3 trucks, the first one is Patton, the two new ones are unnamed. We are leaning toward Ike, Pershing and/or MacArthur. We're 40 miles northeast of the 2011 AFC Champions' stadium, right along the Allegheny River. My wife's family is from the Shenandoah Valley, so she wants to see R. E. Lee, but to keep it civil, I told her that we ought to stick with 20th Century generals.

gunboy1656

So your not real far from me, I am about 40 miles northwest of the stadium, close to the Beaver river. Used to have a 21' cuddy cabin but it has not been in the water in 15 years. The farthest I have been that way was to go to sandcastle by boat.

emr

Thanks to all! I wanted opinions and got good ones. I like the AF Blue idea. Next problem, the M818 was named "Patton" by one of our old time boaters. The truck says Patton in MASH-like letters on the front and has 4 stars on the doors. Do you guys see a big problem with sticking with the theme by naming the new M816's army general names with AF Blue paint on the trucks? I know it's not life or death, but what would you think if you saw such a mish-mash?
Sounds patriotic to me ! That fits right in with all of us here... good luck !

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about Navy gray? I think a bunch of MV's working around a marina would look good in some haze gray. The gray trucks would look good compared next to the blue truck, you'd still be sticking with the military paint schemes, you could put Admiral's names on them (instead of Army Generals on AF blue) and they'd look like belong next to the water.

Also, for your next MV you can get a LCPL or a LCM to go with the trucks, and they'd match! :mrgreen:

EwaMarine

Go with Curtis Lemay!!! for the Strata blue...lol...But Navy Haze gray would look bad ass too!! With the black and yellow striped snatch blocks, and black and yellow striped outriggers!!! USN Markings...