• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Side of the road (again)

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not that I really have anywhere else to be once I start having issues. :-]

The issues,
was running up hill for about 30 miles, was in 4th, just keeping it from overheating.
Then it seemed like something popped. Couldn't really hear it well, ear plugs and music, but then I lost a lot of power.
Pulled off and checked for anything visual, nothing.
Started up and finished the rest of the climb (few miles) in low range, w/ lots of black smoke, even when I should have been in the turbo zone.
Topped the hill and coasted down, both to let it cool and to let the engine idle. Turned off on a road I knew had a good place to pull off. At that point I had a lot of blue smoke.

Let things cool and pulled off the air filter to turbo pipe. Turbo would spin and didn't seem to have play.
No water on the dipstick,
No oil that I can see in rad.

Started it and had no blue smoke, just the normal from burning waste oil, even when rev'ing it up.
At that point everything seems normal.

Will pull the turbo to intake pipe to check for oil.

Anything else I can do in the field before trying to head out again? I am pulling my trailer (about 3 ton)

I know that most people will have something better to do today than be on the forum.
Not expecting much, and I do have my home w/ me so I'm not desperate.

www.DirtTrackTravelers.com

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Not that I really have anywhere else to be once I start having issues. :-]

The issues,
was running up hill for about 30 miles, was in 4th, just keeping it from overheating.
Then it seemed like something popped. Couldn't really hear it well, ear plugs and music, but then I lost a lot of power.
Pulled off and checked for anything visual, nothing.
Started up and finished the rest of the climb (few miles) in low range, w/ lots of black smoke, even when I should have been in the turbo zone.
Topped the hill and coasted down, both to let it cool and to let the engine idle. Turned off on a road I knew had a good place to pull off. At that point I had a lot of blue smoke.

Let things cool and pulled off the air filter to turbo pipe. Turbo would spin and didn't seem to have play.
No water on the dipstick,
No oil that I can see in rad.

Started it and had no blue smoke, just the normal from burning waste oil, even when rev'ing it up.
At that point everything seems normal.

Will pull the turbo to intake pipe to check for oil.

Anything else I can do in the field before trying to head out again? I am pulling my trailer (about 3 ton)

I know that most people will have something better to do today than be on the forum.
Not expecting much, and I do have my home w/ me so I'm not desperate.

Wish I were closer, I'd come pitch in a hand!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
We had a guy pop out the sparkplug for the pre-heat intake system. That let all his boost out and he could hardly move. Once we plugged it, it worked good again.

Just something to check...

gimpyrobb

Ha! I forgot, i did burst a boost hose once. They are sometimes hard to find. I had soot near the hole lucky for me, or I'd still be looking for it.

Do you have a boost gauge?

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what you mean by that. Is that the hose that connects the turbo to the intake?
It looks good and is still flexible. I don't see any issues there. Clamps are all good.
I do not have a boost gauge.

The intake hose will sometimes split right beside the clamp and most of the time whistle when the engine is pulling . the black smoke I first would think oil seal in turbo .I would check the blow by I really don't want to think of a bad piston. I'm just trying to help.

gimpyrobb

Yes the hose that connects the turbo to intake. This is where a boost gauge would be handy. If you don't have boost, you know its turbo related.

Right now it might be the turbo or a multitude of other things. How is the air filter? Put a screwdriver to your ear and each injector, maybe an injector. Could even be a head gasket.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll pull that hose tomorrow when I check for oil going that way and see if I can find any leaks.
Air filter is dirty, but don't see where that would make things change all of a sudden.
Will check the injectors as you recommend.
The head gasket was one of my first two thoughts. Any easy way to know?

gimpyrobb

I don’t hold much faith in those air filter indicators. Yes, you can wash the filter element! After "some" amount of time, they just go bad though. I had one in my wrecker that was just horrible.

I'd run the truck with the filter and the EGTs were sky high, once around the block with no filter, I had twice as much power. I put a new one in reluctantly and was surprised at the difference.

Corvette1974

Similar thing happened to me. Truck was driving fine on 100 miles trip on highway. As I neared the destination, my buddy behind me noted that the smoke content increased. I noticed the truck seemed to spike EGT way faster and only make boost at high throttle application, but still made full boost. It still made the trip there and back (I wasn't paying for a tow haha). The truck certainly has a new sound coming from the engine - I think it blew a head gasket, but not a hole that mixes oil/water. When you dry crank it, there is a suction sound as if the piston going up/down is causing the pressure to shoot out of a bad HG. The truck has had leaking/weeping head gaskets for the entire time I have owned it, so I am sure they finally gave out. Just my $.02.

-Will

I don't know about if the engine trying to pull more hot air then it can get will trip the indicator or not . I hope you can fix your truck and be back on the road .

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... When you dry crank it, there is a suction sound as if the piston going up/down is causing the pressure to shoot out of a bad HG.
Will, does the engine have any other signs, like a lumpy idle or a missing pulse in the exhaust note? Those might be good telltales for the OP to consider with his issue.

Rick

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, checked over a bunch of things. The engine still runs well, no miss or stumble in the idle or running.
Did find oil in the intake, cleaned the air filter best I could, and put it back together.
It ran w/ the exhaust dirty, not blue but too brown for it to be idling.
When I picked up the rpm's it didn't whistle, in fact it made that "dremal" sound that was described in another thread (I think by Gimpy).

So now I'm on the hunt for another turbo. :-/

rustystud

I don’t hold much faith in those air filter indicators. Yes, you can wash the filter element! After "some" amount of time, they just go bad though. I had one in my wrecker that was just horrible.

I'd run the truck with the filter and the EGTs were sky high, once around the block with no filter, I had twice as much power. I put a new one in reluctantly and was surprised at the difference.
Hey Chris, I've tried to get ahold of you for a few days now. I think your message center is full.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks