• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sidewall Splits 15.5 80 R20

tjcouch

I have now had for the SECOND time a sidewall start to split . . . . a crack you can stick your pinky into . . . but still holding pressure.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Also if anyone knows of someone selling one or two 15.5 80 r20 Michelin Pilote G20 on the east coast, let me know!

Westech

CPL
A little note to add. I got this from my Friend Locda57 (Ron) when he gets any "new" military type of tire he will inflate it to only 20 psi or so for a couple weeks and add some air every couple of weeks till the desired PSI is reached. He has not had a problem and has saved some tires I thought were shot but turned out great!
Now last time I installed 11 NOS 11:00 NDCC's on my 5 ton (es the one where I still cant get the lug nuts off) The shop pumped them up to 75 PSI right off the bat. I forgot to tell them to only put in 30. Well on the road to a friends house I split both front tires right down the center. They held air and I was able to pull over and change them but I tell ya.. I lost two tires because I did not let them "stretch".

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, take a closer look, if there was no arrow or small triangle left or right from (438 ) it was made end of year 1988, which I doubt.
I think you will find (438<) which means 43rd week of 1998. Not to bad for these military tires but still over 1 decade old...

G.

cruzinz28

I personally had a Michelin XL 14.5R 20 blow out on me while driving 45 mph. One scary ride across three lanes of traffic I never want to take again. In the median I found that almost perfectly, on both side of the sidewall, a steel belt broke and split the sidewall roght open and then broke open the tread. No one was hit or injured... just my pride while I changed the spare tire on to limp home.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little note to add. I got this from my Friend Locda57 (Ron) when he gets any "new" military type of tire he will inflate it to only 20 psi or so for a couple weeks and add some air every couple of weeks till the desired PSI is reached. He has not had a problem and has saved some tires I thought were shot but turned out great!
Now last time I installed 11 NOS 11:00 NDCC's on my 5 ton (es the one where I still cant get the lug nuts off) The shop pumped them up to 75 PSI right off the bat. I forgot to tell them to only put in 30. Well on the road to a friends house I split both front tires right down the center. They held air and I was able to pull over and change them but I tell ya.. I lost two tires because I did not let them "stretch".
Interesting...wonder if there is any "scientific" basis for the stretch method. :)

Westech

CPL
I dont know about any of that mambo jumbo "science" stuff, but it seams to work well. I forgot to add to give them a good spray with some sort of tire protection too all over the tire.

tjcouch

No, take a closer look, if there was no arrow or small triangle left or right from (438 ) it was made end of year 1988, which I doubt.
I think you will find (438<) which means 43rd week of 1998. Not to bad for these military tires but still over 1 decade old...

G.
There is a triangle after 438. Decade old tires indeed. Oy.

Attachments

Last edited:

treeguy

So I called Gay's tires today and they or anyone else on the planet have Michelin X (or XL) tires in 11.00-20. I know the side walls in this tire are prone to cracking so it looks like I am forced to buy 2 nos NDT's for the front just to get by for now. Does anyone know if there is anything out there comparable in tread? And whats up with deuce rims, are there any two piece bolt together or are we stuck with split rims? (did I hijack this thread? sorry)

tjcouch

Berg tire probably has some over here on this coast
Great tip on Berg Military Tires! I just happened to be in NC with a trailer and picked up a couple of tires in pretty good shape.

He does not have alot of the 15.5's but does have thousands of other tires in his shop.

Allen is top-notch in by book!

They also just got a ton of canvas in stock - I scored a like new cargo cover!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks