• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Silly question

usmcgunner

Getting ready to buy a 1008. Other plans to trailer it home have fallen through. Turns out, at 850 miles away, it would be FAR cheaper for me to fly to it and drive it home. Advertised as being maintained engine. Current owner suggests changing the belts first. But he says he would not drive 850 miles with that motor topped out at 60 mph. Any input? Actually my plan is about half one day and the rest the next.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep it at 55 and you won't have any problems. Once you start pushing it, the rear engine seal will start to leak. You should be fine if you do things like check fluids
frequently in case the seals are old. I drove mine from Colorado Springs to Berkeley, CA. But it only had 15,000 original miles on it when I got it.
Bruce

Tlauden

Well, thats quite a drive in an unfamiliar truck going off someones word. But i guess if you feel comfortable with it.....

Start by changing the belts and checking the fluids. You will need tools, are you going to ship a good assortment of tools out to the truck ahead of time or maybe when you fly out stop by a sears and get a decent 150 peice tool set. Im not too familiar with the CUCV series trucks but i do believe they arent mrant to be run at 60 mph, from what I have read on this forum keep it 45-50 mph and your truck will love you all day long.

Best of luck to ya.

197thhhc

Take a tool bag with you. Go over the vehicle, put on the belts take a good test drive in it and if it seems ok drive it. Just dont beat it and it should be ok.

usmcgunner

Well, I'm split. Southdave, ironically I was actually thinking about posting something in the Transpo Needs thread to get a quote. I'm not so much worried about the travel time as much as getting stranded. In my driveway, I could probably figure an issue out. At 2 in the morning on the side I40, not so much.

MarcusOReallyus

Hi, neighbor. I've had a Nissan shipped from Utah to Connecticut for $800. (More than airfare one way, but I didn't have time for that.) That's over 2000 miles.

I think you should get some shipping quotes. You usually have these options:

1. Door to door: Pickup at your address by tow truck, delivered by tow truck to your address.
  2. Door to terminal: Pickup at your address by tow truck, deliver to terminal where you pick it up, OR, you take it to the terminal and it's delivered to your address.
  3. Terminal to terminal: I think you can figure this out! ;-)

Of course, #1 is the most expensive, and # 3 is the cheapest.

Where are the terminals? Depends. Talk to several companies. I did a terminal pickup that was 90 minutes from me, and it saved me about $350. I'd be surprised if we didn't have a terminal right in our area. Maybe the Virginia Inland Port out near me, for example.

If you ship it, understand that anything of value in it WILL be stolen. Not the jack or jack handle, but tools? Yeah. Gone. Loose change, anything like that. CB radio? Probably.

I've done it twice, and was happy with the results both times. Just do a search on vehicle transporters. I can't recommend anyone, because I don't remember who I used. It was 10 years ago or so.

Here's a site where you can at least get an idea, but shop around. http://vehicletransporter.org/

I don't know them from Adam - just found that with a quick search.

As for what vehicle you have, it's just an old one ton Chevy pickup. Don't get into talking about collectible, vintage, museum kind of stuff. I can see that going $$$

:beer:

Last edited:

southdave

Well, I'm split. Southdave, ironically I was actually thinking about posting something in the Transpo Needs thread to get a quote. I'm not so much worried about the travel time as much as getting stranded. In my driveway, I could probably figure an issue out. At 2 in the morning on the side I40, not so much.
yeah, that what I was thinking you will burn though a grand real quick with towing and trip home if the unmentionable happens

usmcgunner

Request a quote on U-ship.
My fricking phone has been ringing off the hook and my email box exploded!! Lol Just bustin your balls man. It really has been entertaining just how many times shipping companies attempted to contact me today. Is there anyone out there who migh have a recommendation? Even some of the better companies have horror stories to their names and the client has no recourse.

Keith_J

I've been running mine at 55+ MPH and nary a rear main leak. It all depends on the condition of the engine and most importantly, the CDR valve condition.

High RPM is really bad with an aged harmonic damper since it is the cause of crankshaft failure. It isn't too terribly involved to replace it IF you can get the fasteners off. Last one I needed an impact wrench for the pulley bolts, not the large bolt securing the damper to the crank. The KD Tool puller also works as the installer and won't take up much luggage space. Perfect time to replace belts.

twlinks

Plane ticket $400? Fuel $200+? Motel $50-100? Food $50? Breakdown/tow/repairs $???????? The total is/could be endless...just a big fat unknown.

I've had numerous vehicles shipped through different carriers. I used to use U-Ship but that is a real hit and miss anymore. I would "guess" that an 850 mi. haul would run anywhere between $700-1,000 depending on locations, but that is going to be door to door and in my opinion, well worth it. Even if I bought a new "used" vehicle from a local dealer, I'm not jumping in it and taking an 850 mi. trip. Maybe I'm just getting too old for that type of adventure anymore, but I wouldn't do it.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

I agree with twlinks, I recovered my M1009 myself trying to "save" money and by the time the 8 hour trip one way was complete I ended up spending as much as some of the shipping quotes were. I would definitely get some quotes and weigh that option.

Whitfield

I'd ride the motorcycle out and drive the truck back. Sometime you gotta have alternate transportation to source parts and make roadside repairs. Also a scheduled stop over at a fellow cucv enthusiast house along the way could help settle grimlins and trim some cost.

For me 50 is comfortable - 55 is buzzy. For 800+ miles, Mounting up 2 used oversized rear tires in menphis could be worth an extra $100.

Last edited:

usmcgunner

Thanks everybody. I think I'm just going to trailer it. Less to go wrong that way. I appreciate the insight. Hopefully very soon I'll be back on here as an owner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks