• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simp's M920 build thread

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Whats you’re thoughts on the hydraulic fan, I assume they are actually hydraulic driven, or just actuated?
Hydraulic driven with a 3 stage speed manifold. Each manifold port opens and closes within a temperature range and bypasses fluid when the temp is below a set point so it basically has off,low medium high

That PLS fan on high is a whole lot of more air than a belt driven fan. I often enough turn my fan on before a grade. Only downside is no fan brake on the way down

Another positive is a fan running to keep the Temps from slowly creeping up on normal driving

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not too much to report. Logged some miles. Only 3k last week. Went out west and back.

I've got a cab deterioration problem I need to address for the driver's front mount. I was able to use a longer bolt to go thru from the upper cab floor to reach the bottom. I am planning on an aluminum channel mount using All thread as a clamp. Then foam fill the inside of the cab where the issues are to reinforce it.

Got a new seat that was a end of the year special $1500 marked down to $700. Has a heater and cooling system in it.

I also finally got a chance to swap on the dual V type belt to keep the pesky alternator belts from stretching so easy. Part # 2/4591PB for those interested.

Had an oil leak on the plug on the block by the oil pump. Uses a copper gasket. Stupid design as you can't even get a 1/2" Allen head to it. It was fun to get out. Weird 7/8-18 thread size.

Fixed an oil leak on the front tandem pump and replaced the hoses with steel jacket.

Luckily I was able to spray it all with degreaser before I drove thru a monsoon last weekend. Was nice and clean to work on.

Future plans when I have time may be a hydraulic engine fan from the PLS units. And an HT4C turbo.

It doss pull pretty good they the Virgin River Gorge in Utah. Sitting at around 63,000lbs. Was nice and scenic.

LOL what are you trying to say to the 4 wheeler at 8.01 in the video ? This ride is nice to keep me from having cabin fever i got to take a trip and never left my desk ! You should make more of these then this winter to make me glad im home!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is it still 80 mph in stretches between Van horn and San Antone ?
LOL what are you trying to say to the 4 wheeler at 8.01 in the video ? This ride is nice to keep me from having cabin fever i got to take a trip and never left my desk ! You should make more of these then this winter to make me glad im home!
He was pacing me behind me when I hit my signal he then pulled up along even with the trailer making me get out of the gas on that weiner wagon in front

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He was pacing me behind me when I hit my signal he then pulled up along even with the trailer making me get out of the gas on that weiner wagon in front
LMAO ya gota love little pricks like that ! We used to give em a free trip to blue lagoon ! and hit the dump switch on the black water tank then when they came on by those wipers were just workin thier ass off and they had no idea what had happen but we had to hope to run in rain after that to wash the smell out from under us !

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
LMAO ya gota love little pricks like that ! We used to give em a free trip to blue lagoon ! and hit the dump switch on the black water tank then when they came on by those wipers were just workin thier ass off and they had no idea what had happen but we had to hope to run in rain after that to wash the smell out from under us !
Have to add a second pipe further to the back of the bus...
That way "the goodie" could be delivered with less smell under the wagon. :cool:

Long years ago... Used to use window washer pumps plumbed to shoot right or left using vinegar would "help" people who needed it at a stoplight.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have to add a second pipe further to the back of the bus...
That way "the goodie" could be delivered with less smell under the wagon. :cool:

Long years ago... Used to use window washer pumps plumbed to shoot right or left using vinegar would "help" people who needed it at a stoplight.
Funny

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
New Sumitomo steer tires. 445 65 22.5s ST520s.

Was wanting some continental HCS's but supply is low so I settled for these for now.

Only reason to settle for them was the price. They were $626ea shipped in. And that included the $42 FET. I figured it was the best price since they are normally $950-$1100.

Had a cracked timing cover from a loose bolt so I got that fixed and sealed up. Replaced the front tandem pinion seal...again. dunno why it went to leaking so I upgraded to a different seal type.

Had a broke turbo stud that was leaking boost. I ended up removing them all, retaping and replaced them all. Was going to swap my other turbo over to an HT4C but figured I would wait.

Ended up having to reattach a cable with some cable clamps. Was pulling a 966 track loader a few weeks ago with both cables double lined and ended up snapping the end socket. It's a bad day when you start snapping cables and 3/4" wrecker chains.

Attachments

hethead

Just a note that you can move a standard height 40ft container behind a 916/920 but not a High Cube.

9ft 6 high cube. Plus 65in from ground to the bottom of the high cube at the kingpin. Total of 179in.

Standard container would be a shy under 14'
Good to have confirmed. I’m building a container hauler out of a log trailer (off-road suspension) and came to that conclusion… The dual axis hitch (plus the 46” tires) put me around the same height on the 5 ton. I’ll be nervous under my first bridge anyway.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New Sumitomo steer tires. 445 65 22.5s ST520s.

Was wanting some continental HCS's but supply is low so I settled for these for now.

Only reason to settle for them was the price. They were $626ea shipped in. And that included the $42 FET. I figured it was the best price since they are normally $950-$1100.

Had a cracked timing cover from a loose bolt so I got that fixed and sealed up. Replaced the front tandem pinion seal...again. dunno why it went to leaking so I upgraded to a different seal type.

Had a broke turbo stud that was leaking boost. I ended up removing them all, retaping and replaced them all. Was going to swap my other turbo over to an HT4C but figured I would wait.

Ended up having to reattach a cable with some cable clamps. Was pulling a 966 track loader a few weeks ago with both cables double lined and ended up snapping the end socket. It's a bad day when you start snapping cables and 3/4" wrecker chains.
We ran 365/70/22.5 on steer and boogies and some of the H models ran 455/55/r22.5 on 14 in wheels on 19,000 lb rated steer axle same spots all were michelins but never got very good wear out of them .

DeMilitarized

I wish I lived close to you Simp. I would hand you tools and sweep the shop floor just so I could watch how and what you do. I’m amazed at how much you know and how much you can do solo with these trucks. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with all of us!
I think his lone wolf style attributes to his abilities to work quickly and efficiently.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I wish I lived close to you Simp. I would hand you tools and sweep the shop floor just so I could watch how and what you do. I’m amazed at how much you know and how much you can do solo with these trucks. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with all of us!
Sweep the floors? Going to be at it awhile since I work on the field and grass more than anything.

Luckily I have my own race track for testing purposes

Ajax MD

I think his lone wolf style attributes to his abilities to work quickly and efficiently.
That's one of the things that blows my mind. Not only does he make repairs and upgrades correctly the first time, but he's FAST. He's totally violating the Venn diagram of "cheap, correct or fast. Pick two." I think he even still has all of his fingers.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That's one of the things that blows my mind. Not only does he make repairs and upgrades correctly the first time, but he's FAST. He's totally violating the Venn diagram of "cheap, correct or fast. Pick two." I think he even still has all of his fingers.
I'm on Adderall, that's why I am fast but the following list of people will tell you that if I am working on something and that wears off. Whew. You would be amazed at how I get anything done then.

@Csm Davis @fuzzytoaster @silverstate55 @profo

DeMilitarized

I think there needs to be a "Connections" tab on the venn diagram

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks