• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simp's M920 build thread

Superthermal

Transfer fuel pump installed. Installed a filter head on that side to filter it going across.

Installed a dual filter head for the engine side. I will delete the filter on the pt pump when I swap that out. It is a pain to get to. Just trying to make it easier. Pt pump filter is 10 micron so it clogs up easy.

Differential gauges and sending units installed. 80-140 synthetic gear oil. $90 a bucket.

Moved the transfer case and rear diff vents to higher locations.

Dual voltage gauge
Simp, On the 80-140w Syn gear oil. I live in Utah and the winter has temps down low for a good long time. If I run this in the axles the oil is going to be in the 140 range unless I hit the freeway for some time. I wonder if you would still recommend this for my area with the cold as I dont think it will sling the oil the same with being at the near max viscosity. I am not as familiar with the Rockwell oil system but I wasnt seeing an oiler for the top chunk bearings. Any thoughts?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well after 7500mi in the past 16 days. The oil cooler decided it wanted to start seeping oil into the coolant after just sitting idling for a little bit in Commifornia.

Oil pressure was normal. Suspect it was just a bad cooler O ring but the cooler housing is around 140lbs. If I am in there it's getting replaced. Was only down a Day. Had a cooler next day from a parts place I use.

Some of the Coolant tunes were clogged up with jelly from where it sat for years with 2 different types of coolant

I do hate having to get the O rings seated on the cooler. I learned along time ago that a wooden stir spoon works wonders on that.

Attachments

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where were you at ? My luck trying to fix something in a dirt lot the EPA would have been camped out beside me in cali holding their ticket book waiting for a single drop of anything hitting the ground . Oh did you see your town made the news in nashville the other day the FEDS came in and took over city hall over misappropriations .

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Where were you at ? My luck trying to fix something in a dirt lot the EPA would have been camped out beside me in cali holding their ticket book waiting for a single drop of anything hitting the ground . Oh did you see your town made the news in nashville the other day the FEDS came in and took over city hall over misappropriations .
Cause they think that Ford is behind it. The Ford plant will not benefit that town. Thr town only has 4 businesses so there is no money. They won't let the store that blew up rebuild and it was 90% of their tax revenue. Oh well. My property is 2mi from mason but in a different county.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cause they think that Ford is behind it. The Ford plant will not benefit that town. Thr town only has 4 businesses so there is no money. They won't let the store that blew up rebuild and it was 90% of their tax revenue. Oh well. My property is 2mi from mason but in a different county.
Copy that when i herd the town on the local news it caught my ear and thought you might not of herd about it if you were still in cali ! Im more surprised you could pull that oil cooler out without someone moaning about it out there ! My dads 77 pete cooler went down while we were on the road on a little cam cummins 400 and we swapped it in a dirt lot and it was so tight in on the frame rail we had to hacksaw some box ended wrenches and of coarse we had no way to catch the anti freeze so it hit the ground but we got it done as everyone did back then !

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yah, God forbid you let a drop of oil hit the ground in Commifornia. Mean while they have homeless people crapping on their side walks. You couldn’t pay me to live in the peoples republic of cali.
Yeah I didn't make a mess really. But you always keep a shovel handy in case you need to cover something up. Why I keep a big excavator handy for those uninvited guest. You know those "good boys that never hurt anyone and were turning their life around to be a good father to their 8 kids" guest

Last edited:

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I brought my 934 home from Kansas, one of the guys forgot to twist lock the dip stick on the transmission. We got a few miles down the road and it looked like an explosion of oil coming out of the truck. I was behind it driving the chase truck. We pulled over and quickly figured out the problem. While we were pouring oil into the trans, a police officer pulled up. I thought we were going to be fined or something for the pool of oil we had on the ground. He couldn’t have been nicer! He said we could go if we had the problem solved and he would call the clean up crew to take care of the spill. Now can you imagine what that stop would have been like in Cali? I’d still be in environmental jail…

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
When I brought my 934 home from Kansas, one of the guys forgot to twist lock the dip stick on the transmission. We got a few miles down the road and it looked like an explosion of oil coming out of the truck. I was behind it driving the chase truck. We pulled over and quickly figured out the problem. While we were pouring oil into the trans, a police officer pulled up. I thought we were going to be fined or something for the pool of oil we had on the ground. He couldn’t have been nicer! He said we could go if we had the problem solved and he would call the clean up crew to take care of the spill. Now can you imagine what that stop would have been like in Cali? I’d still be in environmental jail…
Like when you have a blow out on a 1600. Just break the wheel down and leave that giant alligator for the overpaid lazy DOT guy to pickup.

Superthermal

Transfer fuel pump installed. Installed a filter head on that side to filter it going across.

Installed a dual filter head for the engine side. I will delete the filter on the pt pump when I swap that out. It is a pain to get to. Just trying to make it easier. Pt pump filter is 10 micron so it clogs up easy.

Differential gauges and sending units installed. 80-140 synthetic gear oil. $90 a bucket.

Moved the transfer case and rear diff vents to higher locations.

Dual voltage gauge
Simp, Is the 80-140 OK to run in the 5 ton Rockwell? I was thinking to run Lucas 75-90 like I do in my Dodge Dana 60 and 70.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks