• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Single out My M818

1943ht

Can someone walk me thru the process for singling out a M818? Was looking thru the threads and see pics but no real step by step details regards modifications I might have to make (Prefer not to have to modify suspension or drums if possible) ... Recommended type(s) of rim to use .. Tire size recommended (biggest I can get on there without modifications if possible). I see folks mentioning reversing rims to get the correct fit, some elaboration would be helpful .. Any help would be greatly appreciated . One final question, what should I expect to pay for a new tire (Goodyear? Michelin?) and new rim .. just looking for a ballpark figure.

Thank You

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I singled out my M817,I put 1600s on hemmt rims.All I did was put longer budd caps on the front wheel studs.And turn the rear wheels around backwards.

KsM715

For you guys using budcaps and nuts on the fronts, whos trimming the budcaps down so the wheel sits flat against the hub. And who is not? Those that are not, have you experienced any broken studs?

M1075

Since the HEMTT wheels are so thick, you might also consider FMTV wheels. Bolt right on, no modifications necessary.

1943ht

Exactly the look I'm going for .. have access to several tire sizes and rim types .. 14-20's look perfect .. any difference regards performance between the Michelin and GoodYear tires .. I know they have different tread patterns ... the GoodYears seem to have a better pattern for highway driving ......Will see if the FMTV wheels are an option.

Last edited:

M1075

Yes, the M939A1 or A2 wheels are also a great option, but just hard to find for a reasonable price. I have been running FMTV wheels on my 5 tons and M915A1s with the standard 395/85R20 tires for several years. Improved road speed, off-road capability, with no major impact to power! I sell a lot of FMTV wheels with the original tires already mounted so you don't have to deal with that headache.

1943ht

Thank You All for your posts .. appreciate the pics from Pctrans and Goldneagle with the 14 x 20's .. does anyone have pics of a vehicle with the 16 x 20's on their vehicle? Is the clearance between the rear tires adequate with the 16's? .. would appreciate a side shot of both tire sizes on a 818 or other 5 ton .. Thanks for all the help!!!

//R//
Mark

1943ht

Drgreg .. that looks very cool [thumbzup].. how is the ride compared to the previous setup? Any difference in driving regards power and handling? Will be pulling a 35 foot lowboy loaded with 11 tons of Half-track and ammo trailer and am looking for that curb appeal "factor" with my 818. Not looking for speed .. just a sure and steady 55 MPH is fine for what I want to do.

M1075

Drgreg .. that looks very cool [thumbzup].. how is the ride compared to the previous setup? Any difference in driving regards power and handling? Will be pulling a 35 foot lowboy loaded with 11 tons of Half-track and ammo trailer and am looking for that curb appeal "factor" with my 818. Not looking for speed .. just a sure and steady 55 MPH is fine for what I want to do.
I definitely do not recommend large tires on a 5 ton if you are going to be pulling any load at all. I know a (stock) M813 with 14R20s can barely make 50 mph with a decent load.

I recommend you read post #2 and post #10 in this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/military-vehicle-road-trips/43982-hooks-trailer-pick-up-12-07-09-a.html

1943ht

Thanks M1075 ... Any other M818 owners with singles notice a significant loss of power when pulling a load on the larger tires? The vehicle in that post was a M 813 .. understood that the M818 was geared differently .. I could be wrong..

Appreciate all the feedback .. has been very educational ;)

M1075

Thanks M1075 ... Any other M818 owners with singles notice a significant loss of power when pulling a load on the larger tires? The vehicle in that post was a M 813 .. understood that the M818 was geared differently .. I could be wrong..

Appreciate all the feedback .. has been very educational ;)
The gears are the same, but the vehicle weight is a little less with a tractor. I know my M818 ran very well (about 60 mph) with 395 tires and a little less loaded.

1943ht

The gears are the same
My bad aua.. The gear box is the same... but understood that the differential was geared up differently on the M818... as stated I am a little out of my element here but eager to become edumacated .. am fascinated with the work that has been done installing a turbo setup in the 818's ... am going to look into that possibility and believe that the single out with the turbo option may be exactly what I'm looking for.

I am scheduled to pick up new 1600 x 20 tires mounted on HEMTT rims next Tuesday... picked up 7 to include a spare for the 818 and 7 9.00 x 16 Michelin XL's for the 52 M37 project and its 3/4 ton trailer (little overkill on the trailer but after 32 years of mil service I'm still too much of a dress right dress individual ... I like everything to sync up :jumpin: ) as my NDT’s were trashed .. Like the look of the radials vs. the NDT’s and believe the ride will be superior off road and on from all of the research I’ve been able to do. SS is an incredible source of info and I appreciate all the feedback and comments :idea:.

//R//
Mark

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks