• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Singles Vs. Duals

M35A2usmc

Hi guys my name is Matt I was wondering what is better for an M35a2. The supper singles or duels, I want to add better tires but i need to know whats the maximum size.

Thanks For your help,

Matt

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would do duels, this will give you FIVE spares, only a flat front tire will stop you on the side of the road, with singles ANY flat tire WILL stop you.

You can run 1200x20 durls on a deuce

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your intended purpose will dictate the best tires and configuration.

For mostly over the road use with occasional ventures off road, I agree with Ron on duals, however I have not seen any 1200 x 20 tires. I have seen many of the 1100 x 20, in a variety of types. If you are on road most the time, Goodyear G286 tires in the 1100 x 20 size are excellent tires and very affordable.

For mostly off road use, I'd go with singles. The max size for the deuce seems to be 395/85R20. They cost a bit more than some other choices but have a great footprint for low traction conditions.

Use the Google search function and read up on the different tires and selections. There is a lot of info on your choices and I recommend taking some time to sift through the threads.

Cheers,

Rick

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fixed your title for you so it will be useful for searching in the future.

Diecorpse

What is your intended purpose for the Deuce? Just curious. I kept dual on mine. Seems to get more traction that way. I watched the SS videos on Youtube, the rally in Durham town I believe it is, the A2 with the tandem and duals vs the A3 with the tandem and super singles, going up a steep hill, the A2 was the only one that made it. I'm m not sure if it the truck, the operator, or the tires, but it was interesting. I wonder who are the members in that video? So many things to do to these trucks, and so many things to do with them. . .

M35A2usmc

What is your intended purpose for the Deuce? Just curious. I kept dual on mine. Seems to get more traction that way. I watched the SS videos on Youtube, the rally in Durham town I believe it is, the A2 with the tandem and duals vs the A3 with the tandem and super singles, going up a steep hill, the A2 was the only one that made it. I'm m not sure if it the truck, the operator, or the tires, but it was interesting. I wonder who are the members in that video? So many things to do to these trucks, and so many things to do with them. . .
Sorry my purpose is a daily driver and a little off roading here and there. Did you keep the ndt tires for yours?

pmramsey

I replaced the singles on my M35A3 with 11.00 X 20 Goodyear 177s. I could not be happier. Ripped out the CTIS, mounted the tires on six-lug rims and the ride (especially the steering) is much better. The duels stick out about three inches on either side of the bed but that is within the 3.5 inches allowed here in Virginia. I widened the mud flaps and the truck was good to go. I have never regretted going back to the duels.
Hi guys my name is Matt I was wondering what is better for an M35a2. The supper singles or duels, I want to add better tires but i need to know whats the maximum size.

Thanks For your help,

Matt

M35A2usmc

I replaced the singles on my M35A3 with 11.00 X 20 Goodyear 177s. I could not be happier. Ripped out the CTIS, mounted the tires on six-lug rims and the ride (especially the steering) is much better. The duels stick out about three inches on either side of the bed but that is within the 3.5 inches allowed here in Virginia. I widened the mud flaps and the truck was good to go. I have never regretted going back to the duels.
Ok thanks.

The King Machine

I have run the truck in off road and on road conditions extensively with both duels and singles. Currently I have 395/85R20 XML on HEMTT's. Off road I found the singles to be far better. For many reasons. One single tire and rim is lighter than, 2 tires, rims, tubes etc. Airing down the tires on this truck make a HUGE impact on it's off road ability, 10 tires took to much time to air down. Better foot print and tread pattern, the stock tires are very narrow I've found better floatation on sand,snow, etc. with the singles more so on the front axle.
Fixing a flat on a radial can be done with just a plug. A tube tire will need to be pulled apart to fix a puncture.

The tires must be aired down to maximize the off road performance of either set up. The rear singles I go down to 10psi, front 15 psi

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
................. The duels stick out about three inches on either side of the bed but that is within the 3.5 inches allowed here in Virginia.......
It sounds like you put those (dual) A2-wheels on stock A3-axles; without flipping the hubs back to the dual-wheel mode??
If so, then you have more than 3.5 inches sticking out. More like 4-1/4" - which puts you almost two inches over the legal limit, in your state...

See exact dimensions in my drawing, below....

G.

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove my truck with the stock duals 9.00-20 and flipped the hubs, drove it with 9.00-20 NDTs singled out and then upgraded to 11.00-20 radials. All this to say that I have a little bit of experience with different configurations.
Look-wise, I much prefer the duals, preferably aggressive tread 11.00-20 radials. Close second are oversized singles.
The NDTs are not tires I want on my truck if I plan any amount of on road driving. Too hard, too loud, too rough.

For driving manners, I love the Goodyear G286 that I have. There is less weight jumping around on the rear axles and the truck, singled, actually does a tight (ya, right) turn without trying to peel the front tires off the rims. It all depends what you want your truck to do and whether looks or function are more important to you.

212sparky

I run the 11x20 XL tires and have gone places at haspin the ndt and singled out guys could not go. They also run great down the road and in the snow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks