• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Singles Vs. Duals

gungearz

I was in the same boat a year ago... I originally started with the ndt 9.00x20's, alls I knew was the 9.00's sucked and looked way to small in the front wheel well. I would be on the expressway doing 45/55, hit a pothole and get bucked all over the road with the 9's... So for safety reasons, they had to go.
Now, my choices were the 395's with singling them out, 11x20 ndt's, or the 11x20 G-177's like sparkys... In a SHTF situation, singling out the truck is a bad idea, plus carrying a spare without a hoist won't make your day go any easier either. The 11 ndt's are cheaper and will keep that military look but wear faster. The 11 G-177's are a great choice if you got the cash for them... They hold ground in almost all conditions and provide you with a great highway ride with a maximum footprint...
I chose the 11 ndt's because I got a deal on them I couldn't refuse. I left it a dually setup and they drive like a charm. I hit potholes at 62mph and it floats like a caddy... I gained 4mph with the 11's. I don't drive mine everyday to worry about wearing them out. Besides, I have plenty of extras if they do wear out. I put over 1000 miles on them in all conditions and I do have a few complaints... 1, they are not the best in the rain... That's for sure... And 2, they're not the best in the snow either... If I was going to use it as a daily driver... I'd go with the G-177's...
The 11's fit inside he wheel wells a lot better then the 9's... Regardless of the type you choose. If you choose the 395's, just remember... You have to have a hoist to some how put it in the bed unless you want to try to muscle a 350lb tire 5' up into your bed... 11's also fit in your spare tire rack, which the 395's don't...

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I changed the cable to new, but same size. The front keyhole slot on the carrier was elongated about an inch out. I use the circular part of the rear keyhole for the tire carrier but use a large flat washer under the nut. This allows the tire to sit farther outboard to clear the parking brake drum. I trimmed the rear tool box support arm by removing the rearward flange. I have posted pics on another thread but can't find it right now. I live in the desert where we have miles and miles of oceanless beach. The 395's are almost essential for the front axle weight in dry sand. The rear, not so much. Additionally, NDT's cannot tolerate mesquite needles.

pmramsey

Thanks for the heads up. Spent time today flipping hubs.
It sounds like you put those (dual) A2-wheels on stock A3-axles; without flipping the hubs back to the dual-wheel mode??
If so, then you have more than 3.5 inches sticking out. More like 4-1/4" - which puts you almost two inches over the legal limit, in your state...

See exact dimensions in my drawing, below....

G.

SEAFIRE

Like the above posters stated, it depends on how you use your Deuce. Ours are used for Firefighting and once we came back from a 24+ hour long grass fire response with three flat tires. ( all on different rear axles )

When we decided to upgrade the "crappy" 9.00 x 20 NDT tires, we had a big discussion about whether to keep duals or go with super singles. We ended up getting 12.5 x 20's, we kept the duals for the above reason.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?70956-12-5r20-Continental-tires-on-Deuce

dezert ratt

Check your duels after off-roading in Rocky areas. This could have ended bad if I did not see it before driving on the road.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392052725.314891.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392052738.149459.jpg
I was giving a fellow member a ride in the deuce around my shop. We did some bush whacking, and had to crawl a pile of boulders. I never gave thought to a 10 lb rock getting wedged in the rear duels haha! I just happened to see it when I was inspecting the truck after our excursion.
It is scary thinkin that rock coulda gone thru someone's windshield with lethal force 😵

M35A2usmc

Check your duels after off-roading in Rocky areas. This could have ended bad if I did not see it before driving on the road.
View attachment 477287View attachment 477288
I was giving a fellow member a ride in the deuce around my shop. We did some bush whacking, and had to crawl a pile of boulders. I never gave thought to a 10 lb rock getting wedged in the rear duels haha! I just happened to see it when I was inspecting the truck after our excursion.
It is scary thinkin that rock coulda gone thru someone's windshield with lethal force 
Wow thats insane.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the main reason the law requires mud flaps. It is not about how big a rock the tread picks up, it is about what a set of duals can pick up.

Reaper651

View attachment 477287View attachment 477288
It is scary thinkin that rock coulda gone thru someone's windshield with lethal force 
Holy Crap!!!:shock: Luckily we only drove on road about 1/2 a mile. Not too bad considerin that rock pile we crawled over. Was a big un. That and that hill just before the rock pile had a bunch of rocks in it too. Was a good run for sure. The capabilities of the Deuce are Awesome! Thanks again Mike.