• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Siren on CUCV in FL

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I read the law twice. It sounds like I can't even have one installed for parade use? Anyone know for sure? I acquired about 6 complete siren sets and want to be sure before I throw them all on the classifieds because of state law.

RAYZER

Sirenes are real croud pleasers,I have one with a magnetic base that I put on the fender of my deuce when I do parades and have used it many times.
I don't think that any Leo in his right mind would give me a situation for that!uploadfromtaptalk1392303050096.jpg

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
See, removable makes sense. The ones I have are newer LEO with all the fun 200 watt speakers and programmable tones.

richingalveston

will your siren work as a PA system with your CB, just hide the siren part and call it a PA system for your CB radio. I am looking for a PA/siren speaker that I can mount on my front brush guard that is only about 4 inches deep so I won't stick out of the brush gaurd

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure how laws are written in Florida, however in most places the law is there, not to prevent people from having sound devices and light bars, but to prevent people from impersonating a law enforcement officer, or to prevent people from thinking that you represent same. You could mount one if you want, and most LEOs won't mind at all, unless you try pulling people over and pretending you are an LEO. However, all it takes is one LEO who has had a bad day and wants to make yours bad as well, to give you a ticket or arrest you for having said siren.

I like the idea of the magnetic mount! Put it on for parades, and take it off when done.

Another question - is there any way to mount the siren on the inside of the engine compartment? I guess that would depend on the size of the siren, but if you are able to mount it inside there, LEOs won't be able to see it at all, unless they looked under the hood. Just an idea.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Good idea on the engine bay. The CUCV has a lot of room in there. I am looking at either behind the brush guard or in the space the light bar has in the middle. Where I live in particular the sheriffs are really easy going, it is when I go over to the bigger cities that I want to be prepared for. I have no plans for pulling anyone over :D

Gripy

I put a PA speaker with siren noises, using the buzzer instead of the horn gets people out of the way faster ;) . Cheap 20$ thing. I put mine under the hood Driver side fender. I'll post pics tomorrow if I remember to take them.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I have an ex-police unit installed in F350 where the speaker can't be seen. It was left in a police unit sold at the city auction. I NEVER use the siren (has 3 or 4 different sounds) outside parades etc., but I use the horn function frequently.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have an ex-police unit installed in F350 where the speaker can't be seen. It was left in a police unit sold at the city auction. I NEVER use the siren (has 3 or 4 different sounds) outside parades etc., but I use the horn function frequently.
I can see that.

"Get the HONK outta my way!"

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't had any trouble here in Washington with two vehicles. On my M1009 I have two 100 watt outputs connected to two speakers, one on the lightbar and one on the grille. My Jeep WK has two 100 watt outputs to two speakers, both on the push bar.

Speaker.jpgLL On.jpgWSP1.jpgWSP2.jpg

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the letter of the law, you can't have it.

316.271 Horns and warning devices.— (1) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet.
(2) No horn or other warning device shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.
(3) The driver of a motor vehicle shall, when reasonably necessary to ensure safe operation, give audible warning with his or her horn, but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway.
(4) No vehicle shall be equipped with, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle, any siren, whistle, or bell, except as otherwise permitted in this section.
(5) It is permissible but not required that any vehicle be equipped with a theft alarm signal device which is so arranged that it cannot be used by the driver as an ordinary warning signal.
(6) Every authorized emergency vehicle shall be equipped with a siren, whistle, or bell capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 500 feet and of a type approved by the department, but such siren, whistle, or bell shall not be used except when the vehicle is operated in response to an emergency call or in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law, in which event the driver of the vehicle shall sound the siren, whistle, or bell when reasonably necessary to warn pedestrians and other drivers of the approach thereof.
(7) Notwithstanding the other provisions of this section, a trolley may be equipped with a bell, and the bell is not required to be used only as a warning device. As used in this subsection, the term “trolley” includes any bus which resembles a streetcar, which is powered by overhead electric wires or is self-propelled, and which is used primarily as a public conveyance.
(8)A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By those regulations, you could probably say that all the guys with big sets of train horns are in violation as well.
Exactly!
The exception here is nothing says you can't have it, rather you just can't use it. With the siren, if you didn't use it, there would be no attention drawn to oneself and little chance of being cited. I don't see the appeal in having one but it's personal choice.

Cruceno

It's personal preference for sure. Aside from emergency/volunteer vehicles, it's purely a show-off thing. Bigger this, brighter that, louder sound.

I think it'd be cool in a parade setting, but other than that it would probably just take up space and go unused

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
It's personal preference for sure. Aside from emergency/volunteer vehicles, it's purely a show-off thing. Bigger this, brighter that, louder sound.

I think it'd be cool in a parade setting, but other than that it would probably just take up space and go unused

Exactly. And that's just what mine does except for a few times a year.

quickfarms

Some of the siren/ PA systems have a internal jumper that can be set to disable the siren. This is for installing the system on a work truck. If your unit has such a device you could wire it to a remote switch so that the siren is disabled but the pan and horn functions work.

My works truck has lights in the rear window and behind the rear view mirror and I have never even been asked about them.

TiggersGF

This is a gray area! Some may not say anything and some may impound the car till it is removed! It all depends on where you are! If you read the law it says ( may not be equipped with) Matts jeep has a siren on it but it is a WWII medic jeep. He is also a member of the rescue squad and they are aloud to have lights but not a siren on there personal cars! They recently passed a county ordinance that the volunteer fire fighters may not have lights on there cars , they can only use there 4 way flashers. This is because of abuse by a few of the volunteers. Matthew can have them because he is with the rescue squad as well. They were required to go to a class and a driving class too .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks