• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SixSpeed needs rescuing in FL

davidkroberts

great pics... really like the ones of the lounge chairs and the cold beer beside the stuck truck. Ditto on the 395's but if you had them you probably wouldnt have the fender war wound or neat story. "Your not going to believe how stuck i was" stories are to SteelSoldiers like crashes are to NASCAR. Its just what makes it what they are.

Grood pics, solid recovery, A few sheer pins and some hammer and spray can time on a fender and all will be well. Hope it goes as well next time I'm buried to the axles.

phil2968

I wanted to go but the virus I picked up friday had other ideas for my saturday! I would have helped with the recovery despite the virus! Keep my cell # handy, I'm just here at the house most weekends anyway.

Glad you got out ok. Remember, two deuces are better than one!

dc3coyote

I will check when I get home but I believe that I have a new fender for James. I do not have the marker light though.

David thanks for the comment. MouseGirl made that for me one day after I told her I bought two 109s, and tried to slip a pair of generators into my garage. She says it is no longer a valid excuse however so now I just stick with "because I wanted it" On a side note I have ever told yall how comfortable my hammock is.

Last edited:

bubba_got_you

hey i got 2 big snatch blocks sitting in the shop lol well i would say i would have come but i wouldn't be able to do anything with my m37 (witch is in pieces in the yard). glad you got it out. CHANGE THOSE NDT's THEY SUCK. :wink:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
you are LUCKY you got it out, by looking at the pics, according to FM 20-22 (vehicle recovery operations) page 3-4, it was stuck with the second type of MIRE classification "FENDER DEPTH mires occur when wheeled vehicles are mired over the top of the hub, but not over the finder, estimate fender depth resistance as TWICE the total weight of the vehicle" that's a LOT of load with a ONE part line. no wonder thay could not keep shear pins in, its surprising that the gear case or the cable didn't let go. don't know what a deuce weighs but i bet the load was WELL over the #10000 rating for the winch

stumps

You could have saved yourself a lot of winch shear pins, and even more time if you carried a simple chunk of wood in your truck. A 4 foot long piece of 6x6 with a smoothly curved notch cut into the top for your cable to ride through. Dig a 6 to 12 inch deep hole 5 or 6 feet in front of the front bumper, and set the 6x6 upright in the hole. Run the winch cable over the top of the 6x6 (in the notch), and then on to whatever you were using as an anchor.

The reason your shear pins broke is you were asking the winch to plow the truck straight through the 3 foot deep mud bank. That takes many tons of force. The deuce makes a lousy plow. What you really needed to do was to ask your winch to lift the front of your truck up (mostly) and forward a little bit. That is what the 4 foot piece of 6x6 does. It raises the angle the winch cable pulls so more of the winch's force is put towards lifting the deuce's front end out of the hole in the ground.

Once the front tires were sitting on the bank, you would then reset the winch cable for a straight pull on the anchor.

-Chuck.

conductorx

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the offers to come out and rescue the truck! I appreciate it! Though thankfully, this time it was able to get itself out...but no without putting up a fight...

See above for said fight ^^ SixSpeed pretty much summed it up...

Here are two pictures of it at its lowest point....this is right before the attempts with the bolts...

Sorry if they aren't as nice the above...they were taken with my phone...

---James
Looks like you were starting to gather an audience with those red chairs lined up. glad you got out OK.

Gary

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well then you just call him back and tell him he isnt welcome back to the board until he post the pictures of said bottomless mudhole. Getting stuck and breaking parts is easier to bare if everyone else is allowed to enjoy it

That is a fact. There should be a rule about pics and adventures good or bad. Those are great pics there. Glad you recovered t..

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I want more photos of the spectators. This was interesting but a couple photos of the spectators could make it REAL interesting. LOL

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could have saved yourself a lot of winch shear pins, and even more time if you carried a simple chunk of wood in your truck. A 4 foot long piece of 6x6 with a smoothly curved notch cut into the top for your cable to ride through. Dig a 6 to 12 inch deep hole 5 or 6 feet in front of the front bumper, and set the 6x6 upright in the hole. Run the winch cable over the top of the 6x6 (in the notch), and then on to whatever you were using as an anchor.

The reason your shear pins broke is you were asking the winch to plow the truck straight through the 3 foot deep mud bank. That takes many tons of force. The deuce makes a lousy plow. What you really needed to do was to ask your winch to lift the front of your truck up (mostly) and forward a little bit. That is what the 4 foot piece of 6x6 does. It raises the angle the winch cable pulls so more of the winch's force is put towards lifting the deuce's front end out of the hole in the ground.

Once the front tires were sitting on the bank, you would then reset the winch cable for a straight pull on the anchor.

-Chuck.
If you are lucky to have a large tree around place cable higher so as to pull up worked for me once.

stumps

If you are lucky to have a large tree around place cable higher so as to pull up worked for me once.
Yep! That extra altitude will very often do the trick! Assuming you don't pull the tree down on top of you. One of the things I bought my deuce for was pull over trees.

My 6x6 trick suffers a problem too, in that if the pull gets off center, it can drop the 6x6 over to one side, or the other. A pair of 2x4's nailed into the 6x6 as braces makes it much more stable.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks