• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slantback b pillar alternative

erasedhammer

So the main support structure of the slantback roof is the turret support ring that connect to the windshield frame, b pillar and the sponsons.

so far I have only found one website that sells that support and they are asking 1700 for the little piece of metal;

so I was wondering if anyone knew a cheaper place to get them;

or or can I simply use my existing soft top b pillar to brace the slantback roof while I try to get the money for a turret?

Lawdog734

That "little piece of metal" supports the weight of the turret and allows you to mount the various hardware to it, so it's kinda critical.

I've seen them cheaper on ebay frequently......

erasedhammer

That "little piece of metal" supports the weight of the turret and allows you to mount the various hardware to it, so it's kinda critical.

I've seen them cheaper on ebay frequently......
Well I'll try to keep my eye open for those. Haven't seen any recently.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's one on that auction site....its been there for awile.
hmmwv turret
its on first page.

Action

86 humv told you where one is for 1500. it took me about 11 seconds to find it. we are not supposed to post auction links on this site.

Just curious.....if an auction site has an item that has a FIXED PRICE, can we post that? Technically, it isn't an auction.

Action

Is Les Schwab going to put this together for you? I just ask, because you won't change your own brake pads, but you want to build a slantback or GMV.

jake-cutter

The part number from the TM is 12340334 and as others have said it is not cheap. There are also a ton of other parts that go along with it. 86humv is right about the one on ebay as it is the cheapest option out there at $1500. If you price it at Macmotors or Kascar, you will find the part is around $2000.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The turret is by no means a little piece of metal....$1700.00 is all relative, they are $2700.00 new from the mfg.
i can't say it enough, supply and demand folks. But here is a little insight, I have been building slamtbacks for about 15yrs, my first kit I bought brand new over 10yrs ago was 9k, so I'm not seeing a massive proce increase, kits can be had for 10-12k, cheaper if you are patient and build up your parts stash. The problem today is, no one wants to wait, they gotta have it all now, so that means your gonna pay for guy you buy it from who spent the time putting the kit together, collecting the parts and tying up his money. I have almost all the parts needed for a full slantback kit right now, almost...missing a few critical items...like a roof support. But that means I have like 7-8k tied up for some time, like over a year or more. Fleebay has had some kits in recent past for 10k, all take offs, that means you will still need to do laot of cleanup work, stripping, painting and finding a lot of the small stuff.
But in the end, I don't like slantbacks, terrible truck...I built the first GMV in private hands many years ago, I found that to be the best of both worlds, but now, I only build "for myself" ragtops with hard doors, 2door pickups, shelters etc...

Action

I traded a $3500 rail buggy for an almost complete kit with x-doors and w/s frame. I just had to spend another $100 for a new hatch. That was back when GL was letting all these go. You can have a small party on top of those things!
FYI, you can cut the tack welds holding the c-pillar tubes in the sponsons and run the roof without the slanted parts. Then just loosen bolts and slide sponsons on and add hatch.

gsp45

RWH, I'm with you on the Slants, they suck to drive with no rear visibility and now you have really no usable space in the back. Plus, you better have A/C....you can lead them to water, ya just cant makem' drink!

erasedhammer

The turret is by no means a little piece of metal....$1700.00 is all relative, they are $2700.00 new from the mfg.
i can't say it enough, supply and demand folks. But here is a little insight, I have been building slamtbacks for about 15yrs, my first kit I bought brand new over 10yrs ago was 9k, so I'm not seeing a massive proce increase, kits can be had for 10-12k, cheaper if you are patient and build up your parts stash. The problem today is, no one wants to wait, they gotta have it all now, so that means your gonna pay for guy you buy it from who spent the time putting the kit together, collecting the parts and tying up his money. I have almost all the parts needed for a full slantback kit right now, almost...missing a few critical items...like a roof support. But that means I have like 7-8k tied up for some time, like over a year or more. Fleebay has had some kits in recent past for 10k, all take offs, that means you will still need to do laot of cleanup work, stripping, painting and finding a lot of the small stuff.
But in the end, I don't like slantbacks, terrible truck...I built the first GMV in private hands many years ago, I found that to be the best of both worlds, but now, I only build "for myself" ragtops with hard doors, 2door pickups, shelters etc...
I've been gathering parts for a slantback for a year now. My current roof has the same visibility problems as a slantback would, so I wouldn't be downgrading to get a full setup.

redhawk_six

It's already been said, but it can't be stressed enough... Don't start building a slantback until you have every little piece. The turret support ring is one of the most critical pieces. There's no point in starting the build without it, even if you could put the roof on without it, you'd just have to take the whole thing apart again to put it in. I can understand being excited and wanting to get started, but I'd just be patient, wait until you have all the parts. If you don't, you'll end up stuck, unable to use your humvee until you get the last parts. Besides, slantbacks aren't really Pacific Northwest weather friendly, especially in the fall/winter. For a hardtop vehicle, they're only slightly more waterproof then a sieve. From experience, no matter how hard you try to weather proof them, the water always finds a way in, usually many ways in.

TedG

Check out my last slant back kit in classifieds! Best to always buy complete set ups.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks