• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slave plug for MEP genset - cost effective options(?)

Ray W

I’m in need of a slave plug for my generator because I don’t want to go thru the hassle of installing batteries every time I want to test run my MEP genset.

Does anyone one know of where I can get just the plug or parts to make the plug myself?

I see the plugs/cord for sale on xbay but the prices seem very high at $300 and up. I just want a plug and I can do the wiring myself.

I searched the forum but don’t see any cost effective options.

Advice appreciated.

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Ray,

There’s a parts wanted thread in the classified forum. You may have better luck there because many members have set email triggers on it to alert them when someone posts a wanted notice. Be sure to include part numbers and NSN (National Stock Number). I’ll be sure to watch, too, because I think it would be a good thing to have.

Evvy-

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have them and sell them. I've got about a dozen left, at which point I've got no way to get more short of exorbitant prices.

I also make slave cables. I've got the hydraulic crimper and heat shrink to do it right. I make them with 1/0 and 2/0 copper cable.

The problem is they're in KS and I'm in NM for the next three months. If you're not in a hurry...

Cost effective alternatives include just using heavy duty clamp type jumper cables. I have a post showing how to do this between an M998 and an M936A2. The same technique will work for a genset. Edit - here's a link https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threa...th-an-m998-using-normal-jumper-cables.204011/

Last edited:

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m in need of a slave plug for my generator because I don’t want to go thru the hassle of installing batteries every time I want to test run my MEP genset.

Does anyone one know of where I can get just the plug or parts to make the plug myself?

I see the plugs/cord for sale on xbay but the prices seem very high at $300 and up. I just want a plug and I can do the wiring myself.

I searched the forum but don’t see any cost effective options.

Advice appreciated.
whats wrong with the slave plug on your MEP, or are you looking for a Slave cable to plug into another piece of Military equipment and jump the MEP

Ray W

Thanks for all the replies.

Sorry, I should have been more specific as ive gotten replies for both the plug cable and the plug mounted on the generator.

I'm looking for an inexpensive option for the slave plug cable.

My slave plug that is hard mounted to the generator is ok.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Build one using some copper tubing. It will take you some time but it can be done. If you measure the inside and outside of the connector on the generator you'll see that is compatible with a couple sizes of normal "L" copper tubing. Take the larger size and slit it so it fits over the outside of the connector. Take the smaller size and file the end so it slides into the center of the connector without damaging it. Trim them to length and build a form to fill the gap between them with some epoxy. Connect your wires and there you go. A fully functional redneck style connector for the cost of some copper tubing and epoxy.

robertsears1

In the original post, did I understand that the goal was to start and run a MEP genset without batteries installed? Something in the back of my mind thinks that may be bad. Am I wrong?

Robert

Ray W

Best I know, the guys at IP/RB use the slave cable to test start the gensets with no batteries installed in whatever they are starting. I have bought several that still had the tier II reset plastic wrapping on the battery leads.
With full disclosure that I am a novice, I think the slave plug can be used in that manner. (I.E. starting with plug power only, no batteries)
I know there are many experts here who will sound off soon.
Let's hear it from the experts...

Dewie38

I worked for Fermont for 38 years as their test engineer we never had the batteries in the sets we always started the sets with slave batteries.
Just make sure you leave the batteries plugged in for a while after starting to recharge the batteries.
I hope that's expert enough for you.

Guyfang

Staff member
We made a cart. Used battery hold downs to secure the batteries, and took a Slave Plug and mounted it on a bracket. Hooked the Slave Plug to the batteries and then we could use a stink normal Slave Cable. Then later we made a holder for the cable, and mounted it to a bracket. We used wheels with tubes, not solid wheels. made it easy to pull around. I do not know where this idea of its bad to start a set with no batteries in it came from, and wish it would die an ugly death.

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
We made a cart. Used battery hold downs to secure the batteries, and took a Slave Plug and mounted it on a bracket. Hooked the Slave Plug to the batteries and then we could use a stink normal Slave Cable. Then later we made a holder for the cable, and mounted it to a bracket. We used wheels with tubes, not solid wheels. made it easy to pull around. I do not know where this idea of its bad to start a set with no batteries in it came from, and wish it would die an ugly death.
Yah sorta the same here, WHY would you remove the batteries rather than just leave emm in place all the time.. keen to hear this reasoning.. mac/mc MCII

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I speculate that this idea came from the fact that the voltage regulator on some of the trucks will malf and fry the alternator unless there are good batteries in the loop. They applied this to all military diesel engines.

(And I wasn't sure either way until Dewie's post)

Ray W

I don't keep batteries in my generator because I only run it every few months. Also, it's not kept in an area where I can keep a trickle charger on it and if I kept batteries in it the batteries go dead. I guess I've got too many irons in the fire to run it often enough to maintain batteries.
When I test it or need it, I take two batteries out of my other equipment and fire it up...but that requires me to install the batteries in the generator which is a lot more time consuming than pulling up alongside it with two batteries wired together on my truck tailgate and plugging in a slave cable.
My reasons are purely self-serving🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️:LOL:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't keep batteries in my generator because I only run it every few months. Also, it's not kept in an area where I can keep a trickle charger on it and if I kept batteries in it the batteries go dead. I guess I've got too many irons in the fire to run it often enough to maintain batteries.
When I test it or need it, I take two batteries out of my other equipment and fire it up...but that requires me to install the batteries in the generator which is a lot more time consuming than pulling up alongside it with two batteries wired together on my truck tailgate and plugging in a slave cable.
My reasons are purely self-serving🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️:LOL:
I do the same with my wrecker. I don't use it enough to justify buying batteries for it, so when I need it I just slave it from one of the other trucks (and leave the cable connected)

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
We made another battery cart with 4 batteries on it. Had them hooked up, so we could jump off the 5 tons, and use all 4 batteries. If we needed to jump off a gen set, or 2.5 ton truck, we flipped a switch, and a relay cut two batteries out of the system. We could have just used a second slave plug. But wanted to be a bit more "Technical" and sophisticated!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks