• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

slightly nutty idea

Crackerjax

Ok here is the plan well ... not plan but an idea that I thought might be neat... or dumb(that's why I am asking) I have one of those neat Apc/tanker driver cover with the heated glass and the windshield wipers and I have been in the process of redoing a hardtop with line-x inside and out and I was thinking if I can cut the hole in the top to make the gunners hatch and then fab up some kinda ring that the drivers hatch would lock onto I just figured this would be a neat way to cover the gunners port with a clear dome....let me know what you think.... currently the roof has no gunners hatch so I would have to cut one with the plasma torch weld up a run thats about an inch taller and compleatly weld it inside and out with tig and then do some slick lead work to make it water tight and then line x it all then install dome.... so is this dumb... and I should leave it alone or should I mod my top for a one of a kind moon roof deal

you may now flame

Crackerjax

well I wish I could install an entire turret like an m1114 but there is no way if I could find a manual locking rotating ring that would fit and I could install some supports for the rood to hold it... but until then I think I am going to use this as a cool hatch cover and as far as the hatch I dont have a gun ring.. and most likely never will unless I make one...(cant be that hard can it?) I can get an mount for a pig pretty easy and I can get a semi auto pig or for display one of them sim fire gas ones...

tm america

ya i think there is gonna be alot of work in making the braces strong enough to hold the weight of a fully functional turret but its just a top if you dont like it just switch it out for a stock one

AN/ARC186

Oh good, so I wasn't the only one crazy enough to buy one of those from saturn. Mine is on top of the camper unit that slides into my M35. It is used as a skylight and a handy place to get fresh air by opening the windshield. and it looks cool too!
I made my base ring by rolling an aluminum C channel.

Scarecrow1

If you think it's a good thing then go for it , It's not like you can't simply order another top if you don't like it . Minus the cost lol . I say go for it and yes take lots of pictures .......:razz:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks