• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

slightly nutty idea

Crackerjax

Ok here is the plan well ... not plan but an idea that I thought might be neat... or dumb(that's why I am asking) I have one of those neat Apc/tanker driver cover with the heated glass and the windshield wipers and I have been in the process of redoing a hardtop with line-x inside and out and I was thinking if I can cut the hole in the top to make the gunners hatch and then fab up some kinda ring that the drivers hatch would lock onto I just figured this would be a neat way to cover the gunners port with a clear dome....let me know what you think.... currently the roof has no gunners hatch so I would have to cut one with the plasma torch weld up a run thats about an inch taller and compleatly weld it inside and out with tig and then do some slick lead work to make it water tight and then line x it all then install dome.... so is this dumb... and I should leave it alone or should I mod my top for a one of a kind moon roof deal

you may now flame

Crackerjax

well I wish I could install an entire turret like an m1114 but there is no way if I could find a manual locking rotating ring that would fit and I could install some supports for the rood to hold it... but until then I think I am going to use this as a cool hatch cover and as far as the hatch I dont have a gun ring.. and most likely never will unless I make one...(cant be that hard can it?) I can get an mount for a pig pretty easy and I can get a semi auto pig or for display one of them sim fire gas ones...

tm america

ya i think there is gonna be alot of work in making the braces strong enough to hold the weight of a fully functional turret but its just a top if you dont like it just switch it out for a stock one

AN/ARC186

Oh good, so I wasn't the only one crazy enough to buy one of those from saturn. Mine is on top of the camper unit that slides into my M35. It is used as a skylight and a handy place to get fresh air by opening the windshield. and it looks cool too!
I made my base ring by rolling an aluminum C channel.

Scarecrow1

If you think it's a good thing then go for it , It's not like you can't simply order another top if you don't like it . Minus the cost lol . I say go for it and yes take lots of pictures .......:razz: